PDA

View Full Version : Shell Holder Table

mister gizmo
09-29-2006, 07:06 PM
FWIW, I came across this gem the other day. Reduced it, printed it and taped it inside the lid of my plastic shellholder box.

http://www.darkcanyon.net/shellholdertable.html

floodgate
09-29-2006, 09:12 PM
Gizmo:

Thanks for the table of shellholders. There is a similar one in the older (1997) 17th Edition of "Handloaders Digest", but they screwed it up and dropped several makes - all except RCBS and Lee - in the current 18th Ed.

I have been curious as to why Lyman has listed two different s/h's for the .257 Roberts: No. 2 - which also fits the .30-'06 family and the 7mm Mauser from which the .257R was derived, but also No. 8, for the .257R and the .35Rem. (which is actually quite a bit smaller). Was there something odd about the Roberts case?

floodgate

felix
09-29-2006, 09:20 PM
The 257 Roberts had several commercial cases, brand dependent, that had different rim thicknesses. I had a dickens of a time keeping the military and commercial cases seperate at the time (in the 50's). Even the military cases had different rim dimensions, mainly thickness. Perhaps the cut-out was not as deep either in some "brands". I used both sizes of shell holders during that time period. ... felix

dragonrider
09-30-2006, 09:48 AM
Thanks, I got it copied

Ross
10-01-2006, 12:38 AM
There is a gloss on RCBS's shellholder chart that alludes to this issue. There are two shellholders listed. The Roberts was made from 7x57 Mauser cases from Europe. We know that when the .30'03 was produced it had a slightly smaller base and that has led to the sometimes aggravation of CIP standard cases that do not fit. The US made 6.5x55 is one recent example.
I have never been able to fathom the reference to the still smaller .35 Rem case. The error seems to have been passed around in the early '50's.

mister gizmo,
Thank you for that reference; I have copied it into my files.

Has anyone scanned one of the early Handloader's Digest two-page charts? They included Herter, Echo, Lachmiller, Precision Reloader and other company shellholder codes, but seem to have abandoned the practice, perhaps under pressure.
A good systematic chart of the old Lee threaded primer tool letter codes would be useful too, if there is one on the web.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

floodgate
10-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Ross:

Thanks. The 6.5x55 actually has a slightly larger head diameter than the .30-'03/'06 and 8mm family: Lyman lists their X27 shellholder for the Swede, and the X2 for all the others, including the 7.7 Arisaka (which is also slightly larger) Go figure!. I'll send you a copy of my old and tattered Lee priming tool (threaded type, still in use) s/h chart; and will try to get the HLD chart posted on CASTPICS.

Doug

floodgate
10-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Guys:

I goofed in my previous answer; the latest list I have was from Lyman Handbook #48 (2002; pp. 399-401), and included only Lee, Lyman, RCBS and Redding. The Handloaders' Digests only showed the full 2-page chart from #4 (1968) through #8 (1978), but those show many of the older tools and is the one I will forward to Corky to post on CASTPICS. (Of course, all the HLD's show current production shellholders in the individual makers' die lists, but that is a lot less convenient.)

Sundog:

Are you still taking in this kind of stuff for CASTPICS/R&D? If so, I will send it along if you'll PM me your street address. Also, looking for Lyman/Ideal #313492 for the discussion the other day, I noted that we are still missing page 213 from the 2nd Edition "Cast Bullet Handbook", covering moulds #31355 - 316275. I can send this page along too, if you don't have it handy.

Doug

ron brooks
10-01-2006, 05:53 PM
I have a copy of the 6th Edition of the Handloaders Digest. It has a quite extensiv e Shell holder chart in it. I'll see what I can do about copying it over to Excel. In the meantime if anyone has a question about shell holders, drop me a lineand I'll check it.

Ron

ron brooks
10-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Okay, I just finished transcribing the chart of shellholders. If some one can host it or tell me of a place to put the chart, it's in Excel I will be happy to send it to them, also I'll be happy to email it to anyone who asks.

This chart contains All shellholders from Bonanza, RCBS, Pacific/Bair, Lachmiller, Tru-LIne, All American, C-H, Herter's, SAECO, Echo, MSS, Redding, Texan, and Eagle. It comes from the 6th Edition of Handloader's Digest and is Copyrighted 1972, so some of the newer cartridges are not listed,

Ron

georgeld
10-11-2006, 03:06 AM
Ron:

Thanks much for e/m this page.
I've fwd'd it around the world to a bunch of others and
everyone of them thanked me for it.

Am passing that thanks on to you from: Iraq, Kuwait, Australia, NZ,
Md, CA, So. Tex too.

Behave yourself down there on the shortgrass everyone can see you for miles!

PrecisionMarine
12-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Okay, I just finished transcribing the chart of shellholders. If some one can host it or tell me of a place to put the chart, it's in Excel I will be happy to send it to them, also I'll be happy to email it to anyone who asks.

This chart contains All shellholders from Bonanza, RCBS, Pacific/Bair, Lachmiller, Tru-LIne, All American, C-H, Herter's, SAECO, Echo, MSS, Redding, Texan, and Eagle. It comes from the 6th Edition of Handloader's Digest and is Copyrighted 1972, so some of the newer cartridges are not listed,

Ron

I'm looking for the data referenced in this thread. Ron Brooks looks like he's no longer active here.. does anyone have a copy of this shell holder chart they could forward to me, or direct me to where it may be posted?
Thanks!

Garyshome
12-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Great post thanks!