PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) .44spl.

Snapping Twig
10-31-2010, 01:43 PM
Just found a grail gun! My pusher just called me to say a collector brought in some revolvers and one was what I'd been looking for - 3" S&W 624 BNIB and unfired.

Looking it over, I can believe it's unfired. There's no carbon on the front of the cylinder and the barrel looks freshly machined. Not a mark on this revolver, no drag line on the cylinder either. Comes with the OEM combats too.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/IMG00250-20101030-1326.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/IMG00251-20101030-1326.jpg

If I'm correct, this is a Lew Horton. I have an email out to them now, so hopefully they'll be able to let me know. I do know it's @ 1985 vintage as the factory paperwork indicates. I even got the little cleaning rod in the box.

So, what do you think?

Not sure if I'll carry it or shoot it as I have a 3" 629 already and this is too cherry as is. Never had a safe queen, so it's new ground for me. Jury's still out on that.

smoked turkey
10-31-2010, 02:03 PM
Yes it looks just like my 44 mag Lew Horton that I purchased about that time frame. It is one of my favorite carry handguns. I couldn't find a "proper" holster for it, so I use one made for an N frame 4" and it is close enough. I did replace the grips with some Pachmayer soft ones and they are much easier on the hand. Congradulations on a nice find.

Snapping Twig
10-31-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks. Interesting point you make on the 4" holster. I did the same thing for my 3" 629. I like the Bianchi Cyclone 111 and I wear it cross draw. Very convenient and saves a lot of $$ over having a custom holster.

TDC
10-31-2010, 02:42 PM
WooooWeeeee!!! That's a nice find! Only problem is once you acquire one "grail" gun you'll quickly replace it with the quest for another "grail" model. Ain't the addiction awful??[smilie=s:

Walt
10-31-2010, 06:23 PM
I've got its brother with a 6 1/2" skinny barrel. It's a very good find as they are scarce today. I know there are still some 3" N-frame holsters available but I'll be damned if I can remember who it is that has them. I work part time in a GS and will look into that tomorrow.

boatswainsmate
10-31-2010, 06:23 PM
Now all you need to find is one of these for it!:p

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn271/ericlee1971/000_0028.jpg

odis
10-31-2010, 06:52 PM
I bought one of those a little over a month ago shoots nice I make my own holsters, I plan to make a Threeperson for mine.

UnderDawgAl
10-31-2010, 09:07 PM
Nice gun! I'd like to get the blued version for myself, although I'll take a 624 in a heartbeat if I run across one.

No safe queens for me! SHOOT THAT THING!

R.C. Hatter
10-31-2010, 10:32 PM
:coffeecom Congratulations on your find ! That said, you may be unaware that Smith
& Wesson had some trouble with the steel used in the cylinders of SOME of the Lew Horton 3" 624's. There should be a red "C" on the end of the box, indicating the gun was factory checked for this defect. Without that mark, you should verify via serial no. with Smith & Wesson, to be sure that the gun was checked, and is safe to fire. A nice holster for the gun can be obtained from Rob Leahy at Simply Rugged in Arizona forabout $60.00 plain, higher for engraving, tooling etc.

Snapping Twig
10-31-2010, 10:56 PM
First thing I asked the dealer about was the red "C" on the box - it's there. :) Saw it myself when I went in to pay.

Thanks for that.

9.3X62AL
11-01-2010, 12:23 AM
I'm not one to leave guns unfired......from my perspective, it defeats the purpose of buying and owning them in the first place. I understand the collector rationale for leaving an investment-grade gun in pristine condition, and avoid such examples for that reason. That is often little more than a mechanism to amplify an item's price. What constitutes "investment-grade" is open to discussion, of course.

"Grail guns" for me generally involve multi-purpose firearms that do well in several roles. This more than implies usage afield or on the shooting range. Often, a grail gun doesn't get that status until after being gauged and slugged, then fired and enjoyed. Grail guns tend to stay in stock, and see a lot of range and field time. The BEST way for a gun to be considered as trade bait or sales fodder is for it to languish in the safe unfired for 2 years or more.

Just my view of the question.

Walt
11-01-2010, 11:21 AM
snapping twig,
The GS I work part time at has a Desantis "Thumb Brake Scabbard" RH black belt holster for your new 3" 624 if you have a need for a holster.
Walt

Snapping Twig
11-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Just got word from Lew Horton that it is in fact one of theirs, produced in June of 1985.

Sweet! :)

358wcf
11-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Well done- those who are patient, have plenty of connections working, and a fat wallet will catch the great find every once in a while. Otherwise, all you need is LOTS of money!
On your shooting question- by all means, take that beauty out and enjoy it! Why own it if you don't even try it?
Both my 24's are in pristine condition, and both go to the range with great regularity.
Next deer season I get out on the 4" is going with me as well!
Great find! Enjoy it!

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

MtGun44
11-01-2010, 09:12 PM
+1 on Al's first paragraph. I avoid buying collector grade unfired guns because I WILL
shoot any gun I own, and usually on day one.

Bill

oldhickory
11-02-2010, 08:50 AM
+1 on Al's first paragraph. I avoid buying collector grade unfired guns because I WILL
shoot any gun I own, and usually on day one.

Bill

Yeah, me too! I just can't help myself, even with antiques, (after I look em over good first). Try 13.5gr. of 2400 under an RCBS, or Lyman 250gr. Keith boolit, in your .44spl. shoots very well in my 4" 629-3.