PDA

View Full Version : bone collector 500

500bfrman
10-31-2010, 12:57 PM
Anybody got one or shot one?

475/480
11-01-2010, 12:46 PM
I bought 1 of the SW 500 -10.5 " PC's when they came out years ago , the Bone Collector is a copy of the PC 10.5" gun.IMO, the guns are TOOOOOOO BIG. The gun shot good and I did take a bison with a MM- 575gr WFN cast boolit at 1400 fps.But I have since sold the gun because of the size,too much of a good thing.

Sean

TDC
11-01-2010, 02:03 PM
I bought 1 of the SW 500 -10.5 " PC's when they came out years ago , the Bone Collector is a copy of the PC 10.5" gun.IMO, the guns are TOOOOOOO BIG. The gun shot good and I did take a bison with a MM- 575gr WFN cast boolit at 1400 fps.But I have since sold the gun because of the size,too much of a good thing.

Sean

I agree the 10.5 is "too big" for comfortable hunting purposes. But I believe the problem is it's too long rather than too big.

The 10.5 is great for bench shooting but for all around usage, try a 4, 5, or 6.5 S&W 500 for portability and comfort. It's a whole different ball game. I've used 8 3/8" 29's and 57's for hunting for decades and find them to be the optimum limit for practical hunting use, and that's with shoulder holster carry. The very best choice, IMHO, is a 6.5" and that's the barrel length of the 500 I've chosen.

The 500 isn't that much larger than the "N" frame guns detractors of this fine hunting "X" frame would have us believe if a reasonable barrel length is chosen. Combine that with reasonable mid-range handloads and you've got a potent and extremely accurate hunting firearm that's comfortable to carry as well as shoot.

JMHO

500bfrman
11-01-2010, 05:45 PM
my 10 inch bfr is my most accurate gun. I would assume that I could shoot the 500 pc also. lot of money to be wrong about lol

Dill45
11-02-2010, 01:33 PM
I personally haven't had a chance to shoot one, but a guy at my range who does a lot of handgun hunting has a 10.5" PC 500 and a (I think) 12" 460.

I haven't measured any of his targets but at 100 yards you could cover his 5 shots with my hand. Guess that'd be around 4-5 inches? Either way I've seen some mighty small groups out of that gun. Though his velocities aren't that much higher than my 8 3/8's barrel 500.

RANGER RICK
11-03-2010, 12:32 AM
I do not have the bone collector but I do have the PC Hunter 10.5 and it has been all over the state of Alaska on many hunting trips and yes it is long ,big and heavy when loaded and scoped but I would not have it any other way.
It is a tack driver to say the least many deer ,Caribou and black bear have died from extra air holes from it .
I have had a great holster made for it which makes it comfortable to carry it all day long.
One of the best 500's ever made .

RR

TDC
11-03-2010, 05:25 AM
I do not have the bone collector but I do have the PC Hunter 10.5 and it has been all over the state of Alaska on many hunting trips and yes it is long ,big and heavy when loaded and scoped but I would not have it any other way.
It is a tack driver to say the least many deer ,Caribou and black bear have died from extra air holes from it .
I have had a great holster made for it which makes it comfortable to carry it all day long.
One of the best 500's ever made .

RR

Oops!!! Looks like I have to disagree on this one with Ranger Rick....

I have to say he is a guy to be listened to when it comes to the 500. He has extensive knowledge including boolit casting and development, shooting and reloading as well as extensive hunting experience with the 500.

I certainly agree the longer barrels will provide a better sight radius for accuracy if using open sights as well as provide a higher velocity with hot loads, however, I think he may agree the longer barrels, as well as the 500 itself aren't for everybody. The longer barrels have their own idiosyncrasies as well as a size issue many people wouldn't or couldn't adjust to.

I'd sure like to see a picture of the holster rigging RR has as that can make all the difference in large pistol carry comfort and access. I use both Bianci X15 and Safariland shoulder holsters for my 8 3/8" N frames and a Nelson for my 6.5 500. If his holster design looks good he may have talked me into going back to an 8 3/8 or 10.5 for a hunting gun again myself... but I think I'd still recommend new handgun hunters using an X frame stick to a barrel length 6.5 or less....:smile:

JMHO

Whitworth
11-03-2010, 10:37 AM
That's a crew served weapon!

RANGER RICK
11-03-2010, 12:07 PM
TDC

Looks like we are still on the same page !!!!
I do not recommend the 500 and or the long barreled revolvers to new shooters . I would start a new shooter out with a 357 maybe a 44 which I have done with 8 different young men and two young girls ( all teens ) .
The two girls loved to shoot the 44's go figure .
My wife has a 44 and she also uses a 338 Win mag when were out hunting .

The shoulder holster I have is all leather and fits like a glove .http://www.levergunleather.com/index.htm

Here are a couple pictures of it .I also like the long barreled 460 which mine has the 14" barrel .

Warning highjack in process !!!!!!

Short story about the 460.

My wife and I were at Sportsmans warehouse a few years ago at the gun counter and I was pointing to the 460 in the display case and said that is like the one I have coming in but mine has the 14" barrel rather than the 12" in the case and she responds with "" Are you trying to compensate for something ????? Let me say the area was crowded with guys looking, drooling and buying firearms as it was saturday and mid day .
The laughter that erupted form the whole area was more than I could bare , one guy was laughing so hard he dropped the revolver onto the glass counter .
As I walked away I had sweat running down my forehead and my wife was laughing so hard she about wet herself .
I did laugh later as it was funny for sure and she assured me she was just joking !!!!

Anyway back on track I love the big bore long barreled fat revolvers with heavy bullets !!!!

RR

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/RANGERRICKQUIGLEY/BULLETS/LEVER500SWHOLSTER007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/RANGERRICKQUIGLEY/BULLETS/LEVER500SWHOLSTER001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/RANGERRICKQUIGLEY/BULLETS/DSC00616.jpg