PDA

View Full Version : 454 Casull Hornady 4x Die Set - Taper Crimp?

101VooDoo
10-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Just picked up a set of Hornady dies for 454, its a 4 die set with an extra taper crimp die. The only time I've ever used a TC die was for .45 ACP, and I had figured the Casull would require a stout roll crimp so I was surprised to find the extra die. :confused:

After thinking on it, I'm guessing you would put a a roll crimp on the case during seating to get a clean burn, and then taper crimp the round to ensure good boolit pull to keep it from jumping under recoil?

Jim

44man
10-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Mine says that too but it puts a nice roll crimp on. It is more of a profile crimp die. I don't use it if a boolit will not enter the top.

RobS
10-30-2010, 01:25 PM
The die like 44man mentioned it is similar to the Redding Profile Crimp in that it will put a tapper crimp on 1st and then follow up with a roll crimp if you adjust the die down further. I don't like it as the die squeezes down on larger diameter lead bullets making them undersized. For jacketed bullets it would be great.............I don't shoot jacketed so I just use a regular roll crimp die.

S.R.Custom
10-31-2010, 10:49 AM
Taper crimping magnum revolver loads is a recipe for headache. But it is convenient that it's included as an extra die in your set as you set the TC crimp die to not crimp at all, but use simply as a bullet seater. This allows you to roll crimp as a separate operation.

Also, the TC die is damned nice to have when shooting the Contender. It allows you to be flexible with seating depth. (In a single shot, you have the luxury of ignoring the crimp groove if you want.)

RobS
10-31-2010, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=S.R.Custom;1043034] But it is convenient that it's included as an extra die in your set as you set the TC crimp die to not crimp at all, but use simply as a bullet seater. This allows you to roll crimp as a separate operation.[QUOTE]
This die doesn't have a stem (hole through the center of the die) to seat bullets so the idea of using it as a seater die wouldn't work. This particular die does in fact crimp with a roll; there is a small rounded lip in the inside of the die just past the tappering part which provides the roll. It's a pretty good die for jacketed bullets, but IMO piss poor for cast.

S.R.Custom
10-31-2010, 02:10 PM
No seater stem? Scrunches down cast boolits when using as a roll crimper? That, my friend is not a crimp die. That is a fishing weight for swift current...

RobS
10-31-2010, 09:17 PM
No seater stem? Scrunches down cast boolits when using as a roll crimper? That, my friend is not a crimp die. That is a fishing weight for swift current...

Sounds good to me and probably most other cast booliteers would agree. The thing is this die doesn't swag down the base of the bullet so most people don't find that it is too bad (probably because they only check the base band).............it does work the drive band below the crimp groove pretty hard. [smilie=b:

missionary5155
11-01-2010, 04:05 AM
Good morning
Maybe that is another reason I am enjoying my muzzleloaders more and more...

bobthenailer
11-01-2010, 10:12 AM
i would call hornday and ask them what the die is for ?

101VooDoo
11-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll save the TC for J-Bullets.

Jim