PDA

View Full Version : CMP Krag Barrels and other related quandries

ButchC
10-30-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm about 4 parts away from a receiver up 1898 Krag build and one of those parts is the barrel. My problem is such, I have a cut down stock and a rifle front sight base. If I were to install a rifle length barrel I'd feel obligated to extend the fore arm. Now I'm not trying to fool anybody with the build nor am I especially looking forward to throwing another chunk of change into the project at this point if i could work around it. My theory is if I order a carbine barrel I can skip out on the fore arm extension if and only if the rear sight holes are drilled and tapped the same distance from the receiver on both barrels and if the height of the front sight base for the rifle model won't make an uncomfortably huge difference in what my sights end up zeroed at. I plan on feeding the gun cast so I know the likelihood of shooting to the sight markings isn't great and i'm OK with that i just want to avoid having bullets too high or too low at sight extremes. Opinions? Measurements?

bob208
10-30-2010, 01:31 PM
the sight holes are drilled the same on the rifle and carbine. same distance apart and same distance from the face of the recever. the front sight bases are the same hight they used different front blades.

ButchC
10-30-2010, 04:24 PM
That solves that, thanks.

madsenshooter
10-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Only difference is the CMP barrels are D&T'd for 6x32 screws instead of the regular Krag sight screws. I was shooting some 168gr cast at 2000fps not long ago, range marker was right on for 100 yards using the 1901 sight. The way to go with the 6x32 screw is to use socket head cap screws, allen screws to most of us. That way, if you have a 1901 sight, all you have to do is turn down the head on one of the screws so that it functions as the windage pivot for your sight.

390ish
11-28-2010, 12:22 AM
once you get it set-up, try 40 grains of imr 4350 pushing a 200 grain cast bullet. very accurate in my ross rifle chambered in 30-40 krag