PDA

View Full Version : 92 conversion

LIMPINGJ
10-30-2010, 09:47 AM
I saw a neat conversion of an old Win 92 this week. I have seen the usual 357 & 44 Manglum conversions done before Rossi & Marlin started producing new rifles for these rounds. This was the first I have seen converted to 256 Mag. Nice heavy 24 inch barrel reminded me of my 25-20. I hoped Rossi or Marlin would offer the 256 Mag but they must think they will sell.

Jack Stanley
10-30-2010, 09:55 AM
I bet that is a neat conversion . For some odd reason I like the necked down three fifty-seven wildcats though I don't own one . I remember reading about the thirty caliber wildcat that Paco Kelly used , I guess if I was gonna pick one that would be it .

Jack

runfiverun
10-30-2010, 05:11 PM
they have problems maintaining headspace on a sharp shoulder.
we can't get them to make 92's in a 41 mag or 32-20 or i doubt the 256 is gonna ever happen.

John Taylor
10-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Hard to find loaded ammo for the 256. The only places that listed it want $80 a box and they didn't have any. All I was looking for was a few rounds to test fire a rifle that came in. Since then I relined a Marlin to 256. As far as I know there were only three models chambered for this round from the factory. Don't know why it never took off.

looseprojectile
10-30-2010, 10:48 PM
A friend got one, a Marlin lever that his father sent to him from alaska. Seems like forty years ago. The ammo was then nearly unobtainum. I made some cases from .357s. I loaded about fifty with a starting load to fireform them.
We were in the woods when we both spotted a deer standing behind a downed fir tree. He shot and the deer went down, just as quickly it jumped back up. We both thought that maybe the round wasn't very powerful . He shot again, turned out he had shot two deer. Quite dead. I don't think cases would be any problem but to make just a few takes nearly as long as to make a lot.

Life is good

part_timer
10-30-2010, 11:01 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=90805

I just had Mr. Taylor do one for me and I couldn't be happier. My wife has a marlin 62 in 256 and I have the 94 and 10" contender as well. All 3 shoot cast just fine.

gunsbrad
10-31-2010, 07:21 AM
I have always wanted a rifle in this caliber. I just received through a trade a Winchester low wall with a new barrel chambered for the .256. I am just now fireforming cases, so I do not know how it shoots yet, but I am excited. I happen to have two moulds that ought to be perfect for this rifle.

Brad Hurt

Newtire
10-31-2010, 10:22 AM
I have a Marlin 62 .256 Win. I also have a new made Marlin in .32-20 with a thin whippy barrel and then there's the Winchester 92 with a heavy octagon barrel I have in .32-20.

The Marlin 62 is a dependable rifle. I have no troubles with stretching cases or any of that but I think that if someone made one with a stiffer barrel it would shoot alot better when you go from this load to that load.

The little Marlin 32-20 with the 22" round barrel is a good shooter but throws each different load to a completely different point of aim-I have 2 and they both do the same thing.

The octagon barrel Win 92 just shoots higher or lower with the load changes. I'll bet a .256 with a heavy barrel would be just the ticket.

I had some troubles making the cases at first until I started annealing them. I made up 500 or so now and will probably not run out in this lifetime. I made them with both plain and nickel plated cases.

I would buy this rifle if I were you.

McLintock
10-31-2010, 01:24 PM
I've got a Ruger Hawkeye Single Shot pistol and was thinking one of the Marlin 1894CL's in 25-20 could be rechambered pretty easily for the 256 Winchester. If so, would make a nice combination. Just put a bid on one at a local auction this week, if I get it maybe we'll see if it works.
McLintock

shdwlkr
11-01-2010, 05:56 PM
I was working on building one on a winchester model 92 action that I have, got the barrel and then my wife decides it is time for us to go our separate ways so the project is at a stand still for now.
It will have a douglas 24/26 inch barrel and full mag tube. The barrel is 1 in 12 twist and most liking will never be shot with very many jacketed bullets as I like lead bullets better since I found this site.