PDA

View Full Version : buttstock

bigted
10-29-2010, 10:50 PM
i recently purchased a 1885 miroku winchester hiwall. it is the "traditional hunter" with the curved buttstock with the straight grip.

i cant believe that the bpcr gun has a different buttstock in the fitting area at the wrist area. but i cant seem to find one anywhere. i have prused the net and google to no avail. i cant even find a schematic for this rifle not a parts list let alone stocks. i have written several stockmakers and they tell me this is not the same as traditional hiwalls and they dont offer stocks for them.

tell me what is so special about this rifle and why i cant find parts for it. id love to fit a pistolgrip butt with the shotgun plat on it if i can just find one somewhere.

HELP [smilie=s:

Bullshop
10-30-2010, 01:36 AM
I have found them at about $300.00 for the but stock alone.
What is the one you are trying to replace? I am looking for one of the sporters with rubber recoil pad. I have a steel cresent on a 45/120 and that has to go.

bigted
10-30-2010, 09:23 AM
bullshop,,, yep i also have the cresent buttplate with the straight grip buttstock. i am very interested in your source for the pistolgrip style stock and the winchester style shotgun plate///or the rubber pad.

this is a miroku winchester "traditional hunter" and ive been told that they are very different then the us made winchesters. i couldnt tell you the differences so if you have insight ,,,id really like to hear it

thanks for your reply and 300 is small thing compared to the hurting that comes from a snap shot where the point of the beutifull curved plate imparts its painfull punch to my shoulder.

thanks
Ted

32ideal
10-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Have a look at this web page from the CPA Single shot rifle company, they make many varied stocks and have a wealth of knowledge about single shot stocks, email or call them I'm sure they can help you out for less than $$$ if you’re willing to do some of the fitting and finish work on the wood! They can fit whatever recoil pad, butt plate you want.

I had one of the Winchester Hunter models (curved metal butt plate) in 38-55 that Kicked the C**P out of my shoulder with heavy reloads while hunting, so I know what you’re talking about.

http://www.singleshotrifles.com/otherstocks.html
Good Luck, 32ideal:)

bullshop,,, yep i also have the cresent buttplate with the straight grip buttstock. i am very interested in your source for the pistolgrip style stock and the winchester style shotgun plate///or the rubber pad.

this is a miroku winchester "traditional hunter" and ive been told that they are very different then the us made winchesters. i couldnt tell you the differences so if you have insight ,,,id really like to hear it

thanks for your reply and 300 is small thing compared to the hurting that comes from a snap shot where the point of the beutifull curved plate imparts its painfull punch to my shoulder.

thanks
Ted

pincherpartner
10-30-2010, 10:41 AM
I've also been searching for a source of wood for a high wall action project and had found these two sites. Haven't ordered yet, this project has been on the back burner for a long time.

http://macongunstocks.net/winchester_model_1885_high_wall_low_wall_rifle_sto cks_70.html#

This second link has some very pretty wood.
http://www.treebonecarving.com/id12.html

bigted
10-30-2010, 10:43 AM
thanks 32ideal,,, i just went there and it looks like the ticket so i mailed them and asked questions. if this is for my rifle,,,ill gladly pay the price even tho ill have to finish it myself.

thanks
Ted

i guess the big diff in us made stocks and miroku stocks is the thru hole for mounting as near as i can tell at this point.

bigted
10-30-2010, 11:03 AM
pincherpartner,,, i apreciate your reply. i already tryed the treebone carving and they told me that they wouldnt offer me a stock due to the miroku made winchester. when i asked him what the difference was his reply was " take my word for it". not too helpfull for an inquisitive mind like mine but needless to say i wont be bothering him again for any stock work as a result of his curt reply to my question.

i have an email to macon to see if they have an offering for the miroku made winchesters...more news at 11 i recon.

thanks for the suggestions ...they are helpfull and goodluck on your hiwall project.

Ted

32ideal
10-30-2010, 03:42 PM
bigted I've bought a few sets other than Stevens stocks from CPA and always been very satisfied, if you call, speak to Gale, she does the stock machining and can really be a big help and answer your questions, if you do not have a blank to send to them for machining they have a very nice selection of wood.

Good luck and whatever you decide let us see how it looks when completed,
32ideal

thanks 32ideal,,, i just went there and it looks like the ticket so i mailed them and asked questions. if this is for my rifle,,,ill gladly pay the price even tho ill have to finish it myself.

thanks
Ted

i guess the big diff in us made stocks and miroku stocks is the thru hole for mounting as near as i can tell at this point.

pincherpartner
10-30-2010, 07:20 PM
Hi 32 Ideal, thanks for putting that link out to CPA. They look like they have some pretty good wood and look like they do some good work.

BigTed, thanks for letting me know about Treebone, although I was taken in by their pretty wood. But they did seem a bit pricey. CPA seemed to have nice wood and more reasonable prices.

Molly
10-31-2010, 12:29 AM
There's a shop in Mount Orab, Ohio, that turns out custom stocks on CNC machinery, and they have some beautiful wood too. They should be able to fit your action as easy as not. Can't recall the name, but a Google search should turn it up. If you're interested but don't find it, I'll stop over next time I'm up that way, and get it for you. I go up every week or two.

Cap'n Morgan
10-31-2010, 04:42 AM
I have an Uberti 1885 45-70 with the dreaded crescent butt plate, and believe me - THAT THING HAS TO GO!

I haven't had any luck with finding a replacement stock, and I'm a bit reluctant to modify the original. Right now I'm in the process of make making a new butt plate from aluminium to fit the rear profile of the stock - but with a flat backside to accommodate a Limpsaver or Kick-ezz butt plate. This will lengthen the stock some, but I have gorilla-length arms so it should still be manageable.

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/1940/buttplate1885.jpg (http://img251.imageshack.us/i/buttplate1885.jpg/)

bigted
10-31-2010, 07:29 PM
cap,,,thats a great idea sir. i made one of these a few years ago from "shoe foam" got it from an orthotics shop . i then shaped it the way i wanted and glued it to the buttplate. after this i used leather that i soaked overnite to form a period like look to cover the foam. i laces the bottom with a boot leather shoelace and bingo it looked rite and like yourself im a bit over reached so the additional lenght didnt hurt for me.

in the end this is exactly what i will do again but not till i give up on the pistolgrip buttstock with the winchester style shotgun plate with a winny grip cap...just my fevered mind at work again. and while im at it ill be looking for another lever for this rifle and a pistolgrip lever from an 1886 so i can complete the "look n feel" im looking for.

never ends does it???

Molly
10-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Just an historical note for anyone who might not know: The crescent buttplate wasn't developed by sadists to torture shooters. It was - and is - quite well designed and functional for its original intended application. It was designed around light recoiling rifles like the Pa/Ky muzzleloaders. The buttplate wasn't placed on the shoulder, but on the arm at the biceps. The crescent shape helped to uniformly locate the rifle on the arm for a quick, accurate shot at game, redcoats or Indians. The crescent shape assured that the butt of the rifle was centered properly on the shooters arm, and the light recoil kept it from hurting the shooter.

Unfortunately, we shooters are – or can be – a lead-headed conservative lot, and that became the way buttplates were SUPPOSED to look, so that was the way shooters demanded they be made - even on later guns whose recoil was far too heavy for the arm to absorb. Shooters HAD to put them on the shoulder to absorb the recoil, but the thin, pointy buttplates were quickly condemned, though rather unjustly. It wasn't the fault of the design, but rather misapplication of the design that was the problem.

Bullshop
10-31-2010, 09:49 PM
I dont care! It still gotsta go.
At one time I did have another one in the same 45/120 chambering. Someone had made a straight cut down through the steel as far in as the arch went and down to the bottom of the wood. This left the steel heel of the plate in place and a flat butt.
On that they installed a D-celerater or like one and it turned out not too bad.
I am thinking maybe that is how this one will end up.

garandsrus
10-31-2010, 11:34 PM
Molly,

Is this the place?

Luxus Products Llc

222 Homan Way, Mount Orab, OH 45154-8269
Brown OH

p: 9374446500

HTTP://www.luxusproducts.com

John

Molly
10-31-2010, 11:44 PM
Molly,

Is this the place?
Luxus Products Llc
222 Homan Way, Mount Orab, OH 45154-8269
Brown OH
p: 9374446500
HTTP://www.luxusproducts.com
John

Yep! I've only been in it once, as their wood is out of my price range, but they DO have some fabulous wood, don't they?

bigted
11-01-2010, 02:00 AM
well here it is at 11 already and i do have some good news so far anyway...

macongunstocks.net

i fired a email to them a couple days ago and a fella named Bryan answered my request as to wether they offered a stock in the miroku made winchester model 1885. he answered and tells me that indeed they do offer this buttstock in a pistolgrip configuration with the shotgun flat plate .

their stocks come what looks like 90 % inletted and require final fitting and finishing. the cost is reasonable so far and i have another mail off to them with more inquirys. the prices at least up front seem to be reasonable enough that if i muff up one...ill be able to replace it and try again. i dont like the buttplates they offer so ill have to purchase it and the gripcap somewhere else but this is ok as long as i can get the wood at a reassonable enough price for good wood. so i guess ill have more news at the next 11...lol

at least they seem like they want the buisness and are ready to at least try to come up with the stocks that are requested.....refreshing so far.

Cap'n Morgan
01-19-2011, 01:17 PM
So I finally managed to find the time to finish the aluminum buttplate for my 1885.

I decided to skip a secondary pad, and instead shaped the aluminum block with a larger flat and gentler curves than it's murderous predecessor - if necessary I can still cut it further down and glue on some sort of rubber pad. I haven't tried it so far, but it doesn't look as bad as i feared. I know aluminum was still a rarity in 1885, and probably should have made it in brass, but it would have been HEAVY - as it is, the weight is about 7 ounce.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4369/img1259rx.jpg (http://img21.imageshack.us/i/img1259rx.jpg/)

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/8181/img1266ff.jpg (http://img692.imageshack.us/i/img1266ff.jpg/)

Mk42gunner
01-21-2011, 01:34 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the big difference between any of the Miroku Browning/Winchesters and the original Winchester High Wall buttstocks is that the Miroku's do not have tangs.

I remember looking at one of the Wyoming Centenial Brownings in .25-06, and it seemed to have a lot more drop than the standard B-78. I could be imagining that though.

Robert