PDA

View Full Version : Do gas checks reduce smoke? You decide...

Lee W
10-29-2010, 09:58 PM
My casting buddy wanted to try some gas checked 9mm boolits to see if they would smoke less for the upcoming indoor league and other indoor shooting activities. He found a now discontinued RCBS gas check mold and tried a few.
He shot normal water dropped 9s, gas checked 9s and at the end of the video, jacketed. Each time with a clean barrel. The lube used is Rooster Zambini.

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff251/cub1641/Shoot/?action=view&current=5ffe6176.mp4

HangFireW8
10-29-2010, 10:43 PM
My casting buddy wanted to try some gas checked 9mm boolits to see if they would smoke less for the upcoming indoor league and other indoor shooting activities. He found a now discontinued RCBS gas check mold and tried a few.
He shot normal water dropped 9s, gas checked 9s and at the end of the video, jacketed. Each time with a clean barrel. The lube used is Rooster Zambini.

A better test would be to turn the audio off and call them "A", "B", "C", etc. and not bias the viewer.

Even so, I think the gas checks were down near the factory jacketed level of smoke. The change of wind direction didn't help.

-HF

XWrench3
10-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Looks to me like there is less smoke. But that is not the reason i use gas checks. I use them to increase velocity without leaving a portion of the boolit inside of the barrel.