PDA

View Full Version : Lubing

fiatmom
10-29-2010, 09:47 PM
I wanted to laod my 50-70 with thebullet seated out further to touch the lands and did not want lube exposed. Would it create a problem if I don't put lube in the first of 3 grooves? I will be using 5744 and trail boss. I will be using lee Alox and bees wax stick lube.

HangFireW8
10-29-2010, 10:47 PM
I wanted to laod my 50-70 with thebullet seated out further to touch the lands and did not want lube exposed. Would it create a problem if I don't put lube in the first of 3 grooves? I will be using 5744 and trail boss. I will be using lee Alox and bees wax stick lube.

I've had good luck with 45/70 and not lubing all grooves, but I chicken-out and run a patch through the barrel coated with the same lube I'm going to shoot that day. Nothing real heavy left behind, but better (in my way of thinking) than a perfectly dry barrel.

-HF

JIMinPHX
10-30-2010, 01:42 AM
On some .223 rounds that I make, I only lube the rear lube groove. On others, I lube the 2 exposed lube grooves with a very hard lube & use a little extra care in how I handle them. Either way can be made to work.

runfiverun
10-30-2010, 01:25 PM
you don't have to lube all the grooves.
many of the designs i shoot only have one lube groove anyways.
some designs shoot better with all the grooves filled, some with only one of three.
try only two and see what the target and gun says.
i personally try to use the minimum amount of lube necessary.

nicholst55
10-30-2010, 10:42 PM
If you're shooting holy black you may have trouble, but you can always wipe between shots or add a lube cookie behind the boolit.