PDA

View Full Version : How to darken the sights on a stainless revolver.

DanWalker
10-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Anyone got a good permanent method to blacken the front sight on a stainless revolver?

Tom-ADC
10-29-2010, 10:56 PM
Not Perm but used to use a metal 35 MM film canister with a few rocks of carbide, punch a small hole in the lid, couple of drops of water and best sight blackener period.
Cheap carbide lamps work also.

MtGun44
11-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Sad to say - most people are going to have real trouble finding a 35mm film can!

Bill

Mk42gunner
11-04-2010, 01:06 AM
Not to mention a carbide light.

Dan,

I would degrease the sight, carefully mask of the rest of the gun, then apply a few light coats of flat black spray paint. it should be at least semi permanent.

Robert

missionary5155
11-04-2010, 03:12 AM
Greetings
Flat black model paint.... Last time I was up Wally-World, K-place, and all hobby stores still sell those little glass bottles of model paint. I have a bottle down here in Peru with me that I bought 10 years ago. Once a year I repaint the sights on the few tools I have here. When done I drip in extra thinner and twist it closed good & tight.

Thin Man
11-04-2010, 07:25 AM
How about a product that is readily available, comes in every color of the rainbow, small quantity bottle with its own applicator brush, and cheap? Fingernail polish. About this time of year the gimmic stores will have black, yellow, orange, green, etc. Easy to apply, a bottle lasts for years, easy touch-up, easy removal with either fingernail polish remover or lacquer thinner. I have used yellow, red, orange and other on-demand colors on handgun and rifle front sights over the years and still keep several bottles handy. Removal from serrated front sights can be improved by scrubbing the sight with a toothbrush after applying the remover. Watch out for splatter! Hope this helps.

Thin Man

buck1
11-04-2010, 03:12 PM
I was told about something Brownells sells called Caswells stainless blueing.

cajun shooter
11-04-2010, 06:51 PM
All Hobby Lobby stores carry model paint which in the kit is a bottle of flat black. Also found in auto shops that carry touch up paint. These two are oil base and will hold up better than water based paints.

ironhead7544
11-06-2010, 08:11 AM
I mask the sight off and spray with black epoxy paint. Lasts quite a while.