PDA

View Full Version : Saw Dust Fluxing

HighRoad
10-29-2010, 02:58 PM
So as a newbie, I was melting down some WWs last night and once I had scooped out all of the clips I put a handful of saw dust in. Now the saw dust just floated on the top of the melt. I would try to push it but it didn't seem to go down. I expected this stuff to start burning but it didn't. After 5 minutes it started to turn brown and then I scooped it out. The melt had a bright silver appearance and then developed what looked like a skim topping.
This sound right to ya all.

dragonrider
10-29-2010, 06:57 PM
What I do is put the sawdust in before removing the clips, allow it to char completely, when it is really smokin throw a match on it and let it burn completely, what you want is the carbon not the raw wood, once it has burned completely then stir the pot thouroughly. Scoop up ladles full and pour it back in repeatedly. Now remove the clips and as much floating dirt as you can, then repeat the process with fresh sawdust. I smelt 50 or so pound of ww's at a time and use two to three handfulls of sawdust each time I flux, You can't use too much. My smelting pot is a bottom pour so after the second flux I don't remove the burned sawdust I leave it there to provide a barrier and prevent oxidation.

Beau
10-29-2010, 07:29 PM
This helped me a lot. I'm getting ready to melt down ww's into ingots for the first time. Glad I looked around a bit before asking this same question myself.

What is the best way to get the clips out of the pot?

oneokie
10-29-2010, 09:46 PM
This helped me a lot. I'm getting ready to melt down ww's into ingots for the first time. Glad I looked around a bit before asking this same question myself.

What is the best way to get the clips out of the pot?

Slotted spoon.

swamp
10-30-2010, 12:03 AM
I use a magnet

a.squibload
10-30-2010, 03:28 AM
Somebody here uses a fry basket, I'm gonna try that.
I used to use needle nose pliers, takes too long.

fredj338
10-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Like dragon, flux BEFORE removing the clips. Some of the tin & antimony will stick to the clips. Porperly fluxed, the clips come out pretty clean w/ no dross on them. I smelt in 30# batches & use about a tbs of sawdust. Stir it in thoroughly w/ a large paint stick & then skim the clips & crud out w/ a slotted ss spoon. Then ladle into ingots. The idea of fluxing is to get the carbon down into the alloy to bring impurities to the surface. Leaving the flux on top does very little to clean the alloy, gotta stir it in.

dragonrider
10-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Forgot to metion, DO NOT attempt to mix sawdust into your lead before it is completely charred. You may think your sawdust is dry but is ISN'T and being premature can bring Miss Tinsel Fairy out to play, not a good thing.

runfiverun
10-30-2010, 02:08 PM
you can add some wax or a bit of oil to the sawdust to help it combust better also.
i turn the heat uup on the smelting at this point too, getting it up near 775-800.
i like the stainless slotted spoon too.
a big magnet works too but you gotta grab those clips to get them off.

Baryngyl
11-02-2010, 08:59 AM
a big magnet works too but you gotta grab those clips to get them off.

I use something like this but the one I have it a lot shorter, I might have to get this one as it will keep your hands away from the heat a lot more.
http://www.harborfreight.com/long-reach-magnetic-pickup-tool-with-quick-release-93950.html

Michael Grace

fryboy
11-02-2010, 09:22 AM
i use a slotted spoon , but having said that for those using a magnet a cloth ( read rag ) over the magnet will make getting the clips off easier , paper works also but prolly not as good for this application

a.squibload
11-05-2010, 04:33 AM
I use something like this but the one I have it a lot shorter, I might have to get this one as it will keep your hands away from the heat a lot more.
http://www.harborfreight.com/long-reach-magnetic-pickup-tool-with-quick-release-93950.html

Michael Grace

What is the end piece made of?
I haven't seen that one, have seen one made of aluminum.