PDA

View Full Version : .45-60 brass

Tom308
10-29-2010, 12:23 PM
My nephew recently purchased a rifle in ,45-60 caliber. He is looking for a source of brass with the proper rim thickness. While .45-70 brass can be used the rim is just a little bit to thick. Closing the bolt is difficult. Is there an inexpensive source for correct brass out there some where? What is the source. He wanted a unique rifle for his cowboy shooting activities and he got one. The problem now is feeding it. Thanks for any help you can give.
Tom

ReloaderFred
10-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Properly headstamped brass in .45-60 Winchester is available from Quality Cartridge: http://www.qual-cart.com/exotic.htm

Scroll down to near the bottom of the page and you'll see it listed. Midway is selling some of their products, but I don't know if they're carrying that specific one.

Hope this helps.

Fred

missionary5155
10-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Greetings
You might try a piece of cut down 45-70 as it may chamber.
My old Win 1876 does nicely with it.

Dragoon 45
10-29-2010, 11:06 PM
My nephew recently purchased a rifle in ,45-60 caliber. He is looking for a source of brass with the proper rim thickness. While .45-70 brass can be used the rim is just a little bit to thick. Closing the bolt is difficult. Is there an inexpensive source for correct brass out there some where? What is the source. He wanted a unique rifle for his cowboy shooting activities and he got one. The problem now is feeding it. Thanks for any help you can give.
Tom

Buffalo Arms has that brass. It is a little pricey no matter who you get it from. They have excellent customer service and could answer any questions you have on the dimensions of the brass. www.buffaloarms.com

According to Midway USA's website they no longer handle .45-60 brass.

I read somewhere that Starline was making .45-60 brass now, but can not confirm that looking through their website.

Baron von Trollwhack
10-30-2010, 07:26 PM
I had my Uberti 45 Colt highwall rechambered to 45-60 using cases with minimum headspace based on the Winchester 45-70 cases I had. Later, some lots of 45-70 cases were tight for rim thickness, some were not. Remington 45-70s usually work ok when shortened except for the odd case in my chamber.

BvT

Tom308
11-01-2010, 04:32 PM
I noticed the Remington cases have a thinner rim. I'll shoot a few of them next outing and save the cases for him to try. If these rims are acceptable all I'll need will be a case trimmer and he can start reloading. I just hope the Remington brass works. I have mostly WW and Rem. there are a few Federal cases as well. Whether it works or not. Thanks for ALL the good advise. It really helps.
Tom

Baryngyl
11-02-2010, 04:36 AM
You can always thin the rim a bit.
Just get you a file that has one side smooth so it does not cut, then spin the case and take a tiny bit off, just make sure you take it off the front side of the rim.

Michael Grace

StrawHat
11-02-2010, 05:58 AM
Another option is to deepen the chamber for the thicker rims. I can't imagine you will need more than a couple thousandths removed from the rim cut and then any 45-70 brass would be usable.