PDA

View Full Version : .357: S&W, Ruger or Dan Wesson?

jeff423
10-29-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm looking to buy a used .357 Mag. Around here I can find DW's for about $350 - $400 and S&W 686's for about $550 - $600. When I see a Redhawk it is usually in between. I'm not interested in single actions.
Does anyone have an opinion about these? My understanding is that the Ruger and DW are probably "stronger" than Smith's but the Smiths are smoother. I have several Smiths but they are all .38's. I like them because they are easy to work on and I can easily get almost any part I need.

I like the DW's because I could get different barrel lengths, but how easy are they to work on, action jobs, etc.?

I have an SP101 in .32H&R. Would it be similar to a Redhawk mechanically?

I'm interested in shooting "warmer" (but not wildcat) loads than the 148gr wadcutters with 2.8 gr of Bullseye that I shoot in my .38's.

Jeff

BD
10-29-2010, 12:57 PM
DW's are not that hard to work on, but they are different and have more internal parts. I've never worked on one to lighten the trigger pull, only to smooth things up. IMHO, once they're slicked up they have a better single action trigger pull than the S&W, but the smiths double action pull will always take the cake. My DWs have been more accurate than I can shoot, and they are very strong. Down side of strong is increased size and weight, but I like them. Being able to pull the barrel for an occasional good cleaning, and the ability to use different barrel lengths are a big plus in my book.
BD

dubber123
10-29-2010, 05:19 PM
I am sure you will be going over any used gun well, and all makers produce junk from time to time. The last DW .357 I saw a fellow at work had just bought for $200. It was a blued 6", and looked NEW. He said he could only shoot .38's out of it, as .357 mags. required a mallet to extract. A quick look at the chambers showed why. They looked like they had been done with a hand drill they were so rough. DW had several owners, and quality varied greatly.

Snobal
10-29-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm looking to buy a used .357 Mag.

I'm interested in shooting "warmer" (but not wildcat) loads than the 148gr wadcutters with 2.8 gr of Bullseye that I shoot in my .38's.

Jeff

Sorry I can't help you with DW's. Never had one.

In my limited experience, although my S&W's are smoother when new, I've always got my tightest groups with my Rugers.

I've had my .44 Redhawk for about 30 years and did a "bunch" of loading experiments with it. That sucker is a tank! I have no idea how many "warm" loads I put through it.

I got the Redhawk because I "wore out" my N-frame S&W twice --- the second time, I just sold it rather than have S&W rebuild it again. Nothing wrong with S&W revolvers, it is just that most folks don't put 30K rounds through one like I did.:shock:

For pure "tough," I go with the Redhawk.

But then again, for accuracy --- I'd still go with Ruger.

Nothing wrong with S&W, I've just been able to get slightly better cast bullet groups with my Rugers than my Smiths (and I like both brands!).

JMHO - YRMV

missionary5155
10-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Greetings
I have numerous DW´s and I would not trade a DW for any S&W or Ruger.
The 357 has a longer cylinder and will accomidate a 180 grainer seated out to the first grease groove and that means more powder space.
DW triggers are easy to respring with the kits. I pull the side plate and put some fine valve lap on the sear hammer trigger parts and they slick right up dry firing.
Interchangable barrels mean you can get any length barrel plus narrow down the cylinder barrel gap to "Custom" fit. Plus you can play with barrel tension and there will be a sweet spot that makes accuracy near unbelievable. Plus if you want to rebarrel with a custon twist (1-16) it is a snaps. Cut a 17 degree cone .. easy.
STRONG beyond what you can think. My first years popping steel I used my first DW model 15(still have it) with the 180 GC seated out with a stout filling of 296. It would take out the 200 rams as long as I hit them more that half way up and that was not hard. Barrels are set up to install any manner of custon shape front sights with the turn of a hex screw.
Accuracy... DW was and is the most winning production revolver there is especially for the price.
I knew fellers that bought Rugers 10 at a time.. tested all 10 for accuracy then kept 2 each and sold off the other not so good 6. S&W revolvers are rpetty... but they do not hold together with lots of full power heavy boolit loads.
I have numerous Rugers and S&W. They are OK but they do not compare to what a DW will do.
So there is my quart of opinion.

MT Gianni
10-29-2010, 06:48 PM
The DW I had was a good shooter. I traded it for something I don't even remember what now but it seemed right at the time. The only real complaint I have heard is the difference in unlatching the cylinder. If you own a lot of Smiths and train with them you may reach in the wrong spot to unlatch it. That is only important if it is a self-defense or carry gun but something to keep in mind.

Mk42gunner
10-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Chief,

Its been a while since I had a Redhawk, but it, the GP-100, and the SP-101 are supposed to be mechanically similar.

A .44 Magnum Redhawk is a tank; I believe the .357 version ifyou can find one would be even stronger, but would be heavy. The GP-100s that I have had are comparable in size to the S&W 586/686, and are fairly easy to do an action job on.

Robert

gon2shoot
10-29-2010, 09:31 PM
I traded off a DW years ago ( heat of the moment thing) and I still miss it. There were a few problem years, but only a sporadic issue even in those as far as I know

Trifocals
10-30-2010, 12:58 AM
I have DW's in .357 and .44 mag. I have absolutely no complaints with either one.

9.3X62AL
10-30-2010, 02:22 AM
No experience with the DW revolvers.

Lots of time with S&W 586/686 revolvers. They are capable of long service lives with 1935-level 357 Magnum loadings--158 grain bullets/boolits running 1400 FPS. Current SAAMI specs for the factory 357s run 158s to about 1200 FPS.

GP-100s are at least as strong as the S&W 586/686. Either one would suit me right to the ground as a field or self-defense tool.

The Redhawk in 357 is pretty scarce, and has been out-of-print for a while. If I wanted to run NUCLEAR handloads, it or the Blackhawk would be my choice. I have a Bisley Blackhawk for exactly those chores, among others. :)

If you have a GP-100 in 32 Magnum, you have a very rare example. Ruger recently began serial production of a GP-100 variant in 327 Federal, and has made the SP-101 in 32 Magnum.

Lloyd Smale
10-30-2010, 05:56 AM
Out of the three id take a smith. there smooth and accurate right out of the box. DW is a good gun too but some of the older ones were a bit homely. Ruger is hell for stout but chambered in 357 either of the other two is strong enough for a steady diet of any sane load. the k frames are a bit weaker but L frames are stout guns.

Bret4207
10-30-2010, 07:08 AM
Not sure if you ever see any, but don't pass up a Ruger Security Six. K frame size, L frame strength, accurate and well made. A much better 357 than the later GP-100 IMO, but then I don't care for enormous guns.

rhead
10-30-2010, 07:38 AM
The security six has the best balance of any of my 357s (in my hand at least) it is the one that points at what I am looking at.

Sp101, security six, 2 DW mod 15s, mod 19-4. All 5 shoot well and I have had no problems with any of them.

IMHO what fits your hand and wrist will make the difference.

GP100man
10-30-2010, 09:24 AM
The DW if made in the Monson plant is a deal , most from the monson plant will feel smoother & have titer fits !!!

The Smiths L frames are strong revolvers , but not as strong as a solid frame !!

The security six series are good as the GPs but liter & do not have the third lock in the crane!!

The GP was built to be shot full blast all day every day !!!!!

The Redhawks internals are completely different ,the Super Redhawk is for comparision purposes are exactly like the the GPs except a bit bigger.

The Super Redhawk is a pure Hunter plain & simple !

I shoot some 38s & +p loads are`nt anything to disregard as undergunned with a 35 caliber revolver !!!!

jeff423
10-30-2010, 09:53 AM
If you have a GP-100 in 32 Magnum, you have a very rare example. Ruger recently began serial production of a GP-100 variant in 327 Federal, and has made the SP-101 in 32 Magnum.

Sorry - I should have said SP 101. I'd forgotten about the Security series. I'll look at them and the GP's.

Jeff

timkelley
10-30-2010, 11:33 AM
I too have a DW in 357, I also have one in 41Mag that should have a carrage and wheels. Both are smooooth.

GP100man
10-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Sorry - I should have said SP 101. I'd forgotten about the Security series. I'll look at them and the GP's.

Jeff

That`s what I thought , SP 101 or a GP 327 magnum:castmine:

bob208
10-30-2010, 07:33 PM
from my experince if i was going to be dropped some place with only one pistol i would take a ruger security six in stainless steel with a 6" barrel.

i have a 4" that i have owned since 77. it was made in 76. i have shot many hot loads in it. have used it for target shooting. hunting and varmite control. i carry it for s-d too. it has never failed me.

10-30-2010, 09:44 PM
The security six has the best balance of any of my 357s

IMHO what fits your hand and wrist will make the difference.

Same, try to log in some trigger time with all of them and see what works for you best.

TDC
10-31-2010, 12:30 AM
They all have good qualities and not so good.... Try them all and pick the one that feels best and the one you have confidence in. I like Smiths because I've gotta have a smooth DA and a crisp trigger above all else. J, K, L, N and X frames, they've all served me well for there intended purpose.

Three44s
10-31-2010, 01:29 AM
For the overall bulk and weight ....... hands down ....... get a Security Six!

For the best triggers ....... DA and SA ..... without a bunch of work ..... the Smiths.

For flexibility ....... Dan Wesson (I suggest the "Monson" guns) My .41 has a SA trigger that would make a grown man CRY!! It's beyond sweet!

For tank like build ........ Redhawk or Super Redhawk ..... they beat the Super Blackhawk HANDS DOWN!!

Nobody has the corner on all the details!

I like .44 mags and I tell people that my Smith Mountain gun is the one I'd like to use to get away from a mean bear. The Redhawk or Super Redhawk are the ones I'd use to go back and settle the score!!!!

Three 44s

Daddyfixit
10-31-2010, 02:13 AM
I have a DW 44 Mag HV bbl, Hands down the best gun I own. I bought it when they were first out. I know they went though some bad years after the sell out, but the early ones.......GET IT KEEP IT!

MtGun44
10-31-2010, 02:28 AM
+1 on what Bret said. I have a 6" Security 6 and it is very accurate, was super easy so smooth
the action myself, looks like it will last forever.

OTOH, my 586 7 shooter is a very accurate pistol, smooth action and has the extra round. Doubt
you could easily wear out the L-frame either.

Bill

home in oz
10-31-2010, 08:35 PM
I have a Smith and a Colt.

BOTH are more accurate than I am putting holes in paper, and have taken small game ard varmints.

Heavy lead
10-31-2010, 09:06 PM
I recently went through the same process as you. I had decided on a 686 plus, wanted the very rare 5" barrel, couldn't find one, ran across a brand new (now discontinued recently) blued 6" GP100 at a price I couldn't pass up. Didn't have to touch a thing and it shoots awesome, pulling up on a target with the open sights is a no brainer. It has cylinder throats at .357 (never slugged the barrel, it was accurate from the beginning, so I figured why) and likes it's boos sized to .358. I'm a happy camper.

jeff423
11-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks,

I'm beginning to think that I need to look seriously at a GP100.

Jeff

Phillip
11-02-2010, 02:00 AM
Thanks,

I'm beginning to think that I need to look seriously at a GP100.

Jeff

There a good gun, and for there size, there built like a tank.

I bought a 6" stainless one when they first came out and shot the hell out of it. Every thing from wad cutters to heavy (Flame thrower) loads, and it never skipped a beat.

Sold it to my brother in-law who still uses it to this day.

The Security Six is also a well built gun. I bought it new as well and shot the snot out of as well. It was a stainless 4" barrel .357.

You can not go wrong with either one.

Moore
11-04-2010, 12:00 AM
I have one of the earlier SW 586's and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I actually traded a Ruger 357 max Blackhawk even-up for it. I had cut the top strap about 1/8" deep so I figured it was time to get something tamer.

bobthenailer
11-04-2010, 11:30 AM
i have never owned a dan wesson ! i have owned numerous S&W revolvers of which 3 are 686s
all very accurate , actions and trigger pull are easyly lightened with a $15.00 spring kit .and all had alot of rounds fired through them with no breakages or part replacement.
come to think of it every revolver i now own is a S&W except my freedom arms

Moonie
11-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Of all of the guns I've owned and no longer have of I miss my Dan Wesson 7445 .445 SM the most.

Char-Gar
11-04-2010, 01:06 PM
I am a Smith and Wesson fan from the headwaters. I have never owned a SW or Ruger DA. Don't plan to either. :-)

rintinglen
11-05-2010, 03:26 AM
Used to hang out at an indoor range that had a Ruger Security Six that had been in service over 11 years, fired at minimum 200,000 rounds of mostly cast bullet 38's and maybe 10 percent 357's, still was serviceable. I have a half dozen Colts, more S&W's but I have been looking hard for a Security six 2 3/4 inch stainless. For accuracy, DW, for smoothness, a S&W, for strength and longevity, a ruger, Buy a Colt for the name. Except for the Detective Special!!!

BOOM BOOM
11-13-2010, 09:08 PM
HI,
All 3 makers have good rep.'s,
I have owned S&W K & N FRAMES, good guns.
Now own REDHAWKS.

Caster Blaster
11-13-2010, 09:26 PM
My sig pic is a DW for a reason. Everything thats been stated about them is true, and try real hard to find one made in the Monson plant. If your serious about it check gunbroker for one of the pistol paks for about $1100 you can find one with 4 barrels. I know thats a little steep but with a snub nose up to an 8" bbl. and 2 grips it gives you a lot of options. I too own a smith and a ruger (mine are all 44 instead of 357) The smith really is tough to beat in DA and the ruger is SA only and a lotta fun, But the Dan handles REALLY heavy loads with less recoil and punishment of the other two with slightly lighter loads. I don't know if you can go wrong with any choice, given time, maybe like some of us you'll own all three!

lylejb
11-14-2010, 02:36 AM
I own a DW 357 and S&w 44, so I may not be making an exact comparison.

The DW is great for single action target shooting, but the double action trigger pull is kind of stiff, and "clunky"

The smith has a much better, smoother double action pull.

The DW is more a more stoutly built pistol vs. the K frame smith's. I think it would better handle heavy ( or very heavy) loads.

The dan wesson's bore and cyl machining is excellent on mine. The bbl slugs @ .357, the cyl slugs 3@ .358, 3@ .3585.

I picked up my DW sort of by accident. I was at a gun show, and wanted a .357. I really liked the 586 / 686 Smiths, but saw this on a table at about half price of the Smith........and it just followed my home....really:bigsmyl2:

dualsport
11-14-2010, 03:05 AM
I vote for the Security Six. Good shooter, hard to wear out.

Lee W
11-14-2010, 08:54 AM
I owned a DW for a few years and I sold it. I found it could not survive a match over 30 rounds without the cylinder binding. It was a 45 Colt with an extra 460 Rowland cylinder. Since the cylinder is only "held" on one side by the crane and a spring loaded ball on the breech face side, after a few rounds, MY revolver would bind on the trigger pull.
I shot reloads only in both the 45 Colt and the 45 ACP. I would assume factory loads would be cleaner and would last longer before binding.

Artful
11-16-2010, 02:25 AM
Hmm , I'd say DW if can only have one with extra grips and barrels, S&W N frame (27, 28 etc) if shooting Mag's all the time just cause the weight helps with recoil and SP101 for shooting all the time with a belly gun (again more weight and stoutness helps) for carry with limited shooting S&W Scandium - man unbelivably light for 357 revolver. I've seen to many sprung K frame side plates to shoot as 357 - L frame same size as Dan Wesson so milght as well get versatility of it. One you didn't mention that I liked was Colts Trooper Mk 5 or Mk 3.

tb5'js
11-18-2010, 08:26 PM
I to have a DW but in 44 with the 6 inch heavy with some type of compensater cut into the barrel by the factory shoots great but have had trouble with the timing ever since I first bought new

armed_partisan
11-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Dan Wessons are MUCH better engineered than S&Ws, but their triggers will never be as good (alas!) as S&Ws. When you're talkin' L-Frame S&W's, strength is not an issue, but I would say stay away from K-Frame Maggies unless you know what you're looking for. That said, I'm a HUGE S&W fan and have more than 1 and less than 20. I only have one Dan Wesson because they are increasingly rare animals, (especially the barrels!) and that makes them increasingly collectible.

I've never owned a Ruger. I think they're the devil, at least Bill was.

MtGun44
11-18-2010, 11:38 PM
DWs will be back on the market soon. I have spoken with some friends at CZ and they
are making a real effort to produce a top quality revolver. Looking at what they have
accomplished with the DW 1911s (spectacular pistols, $1500-2000 under their real
competition) I'd expect them to be really impressive quality revolvers.

That said - I always thought they were pug ugly, but everyone tells me that they are
really accurate due to the tensioned barrel. Never shot one myself.

Bill

armed_partisan
11-20-2010, 11:26 PM
I went to the 2006 SHOT show in Orlando, FL and they had a single Dan Wesson Model 15 Stainless .357 Revolver with a 6" barrel on display. Being a fan, I asked the guys at the CZ USA booth. None of them knew anything about it. They didn't even know what model it was. I went to the 2007, 2008, and 2009 SHOT shows, and they didn't have it there, and nobody had heard anything about it. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Moonie
11-22-2010, 04:27 PM
I'll have to tell the wife to plan to budget for a 7445 SM, gotta have another one.

MtGun44
11-23-2010, 06:08 PM
I was talking to someone at CZ that DOES KNOW what is going on and the report was
that the revolvers are coming out "soon".

Bill

jeff423
11-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Slightly OT but since it's my thread I guess it's OK. I just got a Dan Wesson .44 Mag with the 8" barrel. It's a great gun. It seems to have less "felt" recoil than other .44's I've shot. It's probably heavier. Even with the 8" barrel it doesn't feel as front end heavy as my .41 Ruger SBH Hunter did. I'm still looking for a .357.

Jeff

MtGun44
11-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Mass is a great recoil reducer. As long as the package meets your portability requirements
for your application, sounds great. The tensioned barrel has been given credit by many
for the great success that the DWs have had in silly-wet shooting. I hope you find the
same accuracy.

Bill

sniper
12-16-2010, 01:43 PM
My Dan Wesson ws strong, acurate, and it smoothed up marvelously when I replaced the mainspring.

I sold it so I could get a Smith & Wesson, and have regretted it since. The Smith is good, but I'd rather have my Dan Wesson. Comes under the heading of "Live and learn", I guess.

bdutro
12-16-2010, 10:59 PM
I love my S&W's. The two-piece barrel in particular is scary accurate.

I hesitate to even mention this because I plan on looking for one myself to round out my magnums but here you go:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=206489539

Behold the 520. Steel frame, titanium cylinder, 7 rounds and the famous trigger pull. Should point like a model 19 but digest magnums like a model 27. If it were me, I'd have a red ramp or gold dot instead of the fiber optic but that's small potatoes given the rest of the very fine weapon.

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Here are some pictures . . . I tried out a few friends guns, and ended up buying Ruger's . . . the Lady Smith is 38 only, and the lightweight model, kicks like a mule! The Model 60 is also a "J" frame, but even with full 357 maggies, it is much more pleasant to shoot than the Lady Smith! The SP101 and Mod 60 are about the same size.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Guns015.jpg

Super Redhawk Alaskan on top, SP 101 3 1/16" barrel on bottom in 357mag

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/New004.jpg

Another of the SP101, which I put a set of Houge grips on it:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Ruger%20SP101/SP1011.jpg

Here is my wife's 4" Security Six, which I put a set of Houge grips on it:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Ruger%20Security%20Six/SecuritySix.jpg