PDA

View Full Version : T/C barrel quality for CB's

475BH
10-29-2010, 11:15 AM
I have several T/C barrels, but only shoot J-bullets in them.
I would like to know some opinions on their quality for cast bullets. I think I will buy a 30-30, seems there are a lot of companies selling .30 cal. bullets. So finding an accurate load would be easier, as well as no case forming.
No formal competitive shooting, just paper punching, small game hunting, maybe a postal match(if i can find any).
I'm just wondering if an aftermarket barrel, for an extra 200+ is worth it. I do have a .22rf match barrel from Bullberry and that thing is REAL accurate.
BTW this would be for a Contender.
Thanks for the replys.

gee-gaw
10-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Hi 475BH,
I've had a few contender barrels and always have been happy with there accuracy. My most recent is a carbine barrel in 38-55. This barrel has all the makings of a good CB barrel ( proper barrel dia. with slight choke at the end, and smooth ) but I haven't shot it enough to say either way. T/C makes good quality stuff so go for it and let us know what you get and how it shoots.
Wayne

jhalcott
10-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Newer 30-30 T?C barrels are twisted 1 in 10" while the older ones were 1 in 12". They both will work with cast but the older ones were better IN MY OPINION! The newer ones handle jacketed bullets fine.

quilbilly
11-01-2010, 01:17 AM
This afternoon I retargeted my Contender 7mm TCU carbine barrel after a scope malfunction. I am using 130 gr CB's with gas checks and easily got to 2" groups at 150 yards before the wind kicked up. My 357 Max carbine barrel gets similar accuracy with various CB's as does my 9mm Luger carbine barrel with 150 gr CB's. It took me 2 years of experimenting to find the right load for the 9mm, however, but all the others were easy
My Contender 10" pistol barrel in 32-20 and 8" 357 mag barrel both are exceptionally accurate to over 100 yards with CB's if I am having a good handgun day.
All of my T/C barrels so far have liked CB's once I found the right load and accounted for vertical stringing when the barrels get warm.