PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Cooper passes

fiberoptik
09-28-2006, 11:14 PM
Jeff Cooper passed on. He'll be greatly missed.
http://www.frfrogspad.com/cooper.htm
:(

KCSO
09-29-2006, 09:48 AM
Now there is no one being published that will tell it like it is. The last honest gun scribe is gone.

Bret4207
09-29-2006, 10:57 AM
"The last honest gun scribe is gone" !!! No way! What about Clair "I'll sell my soul to the highest bidder now that I've outlived the other guys" Reese? Or David "Lets dress up and play soldier" Fortier? Not to mention Craig" I keep dead animals in my bedroom" Boddington?

Ah, for the days of Ken Waters, Frank Marshall, Skeeter, Elmer, Bill and Jack.

KCSO
09-29-2006, 10:51 PM
I disremember the scribe (Dennis Prisby???)but he actually wrote up a rave review on a 45 colt lever gun that had a bum bore and had to go back to the factory. He said that ,These will be good guns when they get the bore size right and went on to say that a 4" group at 25 yards was probably good enough for cowboy shooting anyway.

robertbank
09-29-2006, 11:22 PM
"Ah, for the days of Ken Waters, Frank Marshall, Skeeter, Elmer, Bill and Jack."

+1, These guys knew what they were writing about, and who they were writing for and to. Today all we get are long info-commercials with pictures.

Take Care

Bob

fatnhappy
09-29-2006, 11:37 PM
Colonel Cooper, G. Sitton and Bob Milek

MT Gianni
09-30-2006, 02:02 PM
I am still up in the air about Bob Milek. I have heard that he was the main killer of the 357 Max. cartridge. Yes Ruger's top straps cut but some of those guns are still in use today and the cartridge which had great potential and could have been used in far more gun styles than revolvers was killed along with a wildcat family yet to be. Gianni.

9.3X62AL
10-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Kind of a late entry here......Col. Cooper's writings were greatly appreciated by this old caster. When this old caster was still a teenaged high school student, Col Cooper and Mrs. Cooper were customers at the gas station he worked at. Col. Cooper on one stop for gas saw a cased shotgun propped in the corner of the office, and asked if we were expecting trouble. No, I said--I just got back in from a dove hunt after school, and didn't have time to take the shotgun home without being late for work.

From that day forth, and we're talking several dozen times here--Col. Cooper never had a shorter visit than 30-40 minutes. He took the time to discuss hunting, shooting, and--once he knew I was leaning toward cop work after I entered college--self defense concepts. The man was unfailingly polite, a consummate gentleman. It was several years' time before I truly realized what a huge privilege it was to have met and spoken at length with a man of his caliber, who nonetheless made time to talk with a teenaged kid who put gas in his Porsche and his wife's Mercedes.

And when I heard he had passed on, I cried.

Bret4207
10-04-2006, 07:58 AM
You're a lucky guy Al. Cherish the memory. Semper Fi Col.