PDA

View Full Version : Pyrodex P question

Dutch Mosin
10-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Hello all.

I was just wondering if somebody in here has experience in reloading Dutch Beaumont and Swiss Vetterli cases with Pyrodex P.

I've been using Pyrodex P in the Beaumont already.
In stead of 45 gn of BP I used 38 gn (volume) of Pyrodex P.
The case is not completely filled with powder, so as a filler I use cous-cous and a cardboard wad on top of that.
Results weren't bad, but I sure could use some extra info.

Haven't used Pyrodex P in the Vetterli yet, so I'm open for suggestions.

All info is more then welcome.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

cajun shooter
10-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Martin, Out of all the subs Pyrodex is the most hygroscopic of the bunch. I see you live in the Netherlands. You as I living in Louisiana have plenty of humidity except yours is in a more solid form as opposed to my liquid. If at all possible try to find another powder to load with. The best to you and welcome to the forum.

hiram
10-29-2010, 11:51 AM
I used pyrodex select (rs) for my 45-70. mild compression, no fill, but i did use a wad. results were terrific. when I use up my goex, I am seriously considering switching to pyrodex select.

NickSS
10-29-2010, 07:18 PM
I have used pyrodex P in cap and ball revolvers and it works well in them. I have also used Pyrodex RS in a 45-70 and got really excellent results with a full case moderately compressed. I have never used Pyrodex with a filler but see no reason that it would not work. One thing about pyrodex that I found out was that cleaning it took more time than black powder. I would use it if that was all I could get but I prefer black powder.

cajun shooter
10-30-2010, 09:38 AM
What ever floats your boat Hiram. If you have plenty of shooting time left on this earth then Pyrodex will have it's chance to bite you.

Dutch Mosin
11-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Here's the answer I received from Hodgdon just a couple of minutes ago.
I explained to Hodgdon the law on using BP in the Netherlands and wrote them how I use Pyrodex P in my Beaumont and Vetterli.
Our gunlaw says that as long as I use BP in an original BPweapon, this weapon is free and does not need a license.
I guess it's both safe and legal for me to use Pyrodex P in my Beaumont and Vetterli as long as I load the cases the way they describe.
I'm one happy Dutchman.

Pyrodex is a modified black powder.
The main contents are: Charcoal, sulfur, nitrate.
Other ingredients are added to make is safer to transport, store and use.
Pyrodex is not a smokeless powder it contains no nitrocellulose and no nitroglycerin.

You should load Pyrodex just like black powder.
You should not have any airspace in the cartridge and the base of the bullet should compress the powder about 1/8 inch.
Fillers can be used to avoid the airspace but you still need to maintain the compression.
I do not recommend food products as filler.
Food products have very low moisture in them.
Pyrodex is designed to have some moisture in it.
If the ammunition sits for a while with a food product filler, the moisture could be drawn from the powder causing an increase in burn speed and pressure.
If food products are used for filler the ammunition should be fired within 7 days.
Wads make better filler in a straight walled case.
In a bottle necked case, you must use a full case of powder or you could use one of the granulated plastic products or use a food product but get the ammunition fired within 7 days.

You can use Pyrodex to load any cartridge you want.

I hope that this information is of assistance.

Mike Daly
Cutomer Service Manager
Hodgdon Family of Fine Propellants
Hodgdon Smokeless Powder
IMR Powder Company
Winchester Smokeless Propellants
GOEX Blackpowder

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

bigted
11-04-2010, 12:42 PM
interesting.

cajun shooter
11-04-2010, 01:24 PM
I would suspect that the company that made the product to give that very answer. I am diabetic and take insulin along with other meds. I took the pill Avandia for several months. A doctor who had no ties to the company noticed he was losing several of his patients to heart attacks. His further research showed that other doctors were seeing the same thing. After some 500 people died they notified the FDA which saw fit to remove the drug. I told my doctor that I wanted to be on a different product. He showed me a paper stating that the drug was safe to use by everybody. I read at the bottom of the page that the paper was printed by the maker of the drug. If Pyrodex could cause harm do you think they would tell you. Off the box Fairshake

Dutch Mosin
11-04-2010, 01:43 PM
I guess you're right.
Thanks for your reply cajun shooter.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

John Boy
11-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Martin, Mike Daly provided you with 'words' about Pyrodex, but he missed some key points ...
1. Pyrodex is not black powder, it is classified as a sodium benzoate substitute for black powder and is not "Pyrodex is a modified black powder". Black powder is a mechanical mix of potassium nitrate - sulfur and charcoal only. Here is the original patent formulation of Pyrodex which has been modified slightly but still the primary ingredients are the same:
45 parts of potassium nitrate
9 parts of charcoal
6 parts of sulfur
19 parts of potassium perchlorate
11 parts of sodium benzoate
6 parts of dicyanamide
1 to 4 parts of water

2. Pyrodex is to be charged on a volume basis only to a BP charge, not by a scale weight charge because it is 30% lighter than black powder

3. Since wads in a shoulder necked case are a NO NO (below the shoulder), Hodgdon is wishy washy in their words using fillers for shouldered neck cases and the Beaumont and Vetterili both have shoulders ... if you need to use a wad for filler - use florist foam. It's the stuff florists stick the stems of flowers into when they made a floral arrangement

4. He did not reference you to the published loading notes for Pyrodex, which I recommend you read and use as your guidelines ... http://www.hodgdon.com/loading.html

waksupi
11-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Having 19 parts of potassium perchlorate, I'd be danged careful of even dropping a can of the stuff. Not to mention the rust!

Dutch Mosin
11-05-2010, 03:08 AM
Thanks for your replies.
Not really the answer I would like to hear, but I thank you for your honesty.
I've received some other answers too.
I guess I'll just weigh the answers and decide whether to use BP or Pyrodex.
Thanks again all.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin