PDA

View Full Version : two questions?

grubbylabs
10-28-2010, 11:39 PM
First I thought I read that some use pewter to add to their lead, if so how much pewter do you add to how much lead?

Second, I picked up a 5 gall bucket full to the brim with with WW, about how much weight should I expect to yield?

alfloyd
10-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Pewter is almost pure tin, so add it like you would tin.
You only need about 2% tin to make nice boolits.

5 Gal of wheel weights, if they are clipons will give you about 110 lbs of ingots.
That is about what I get after melting down and removing the steel clips, rubber
valve stems and junk.

alfloyd

grubbylabs
10-29-2010, 12:31 AM
Wow that is a lot of lead, I think most of them are clip on weights.

And the pewter is about the size of a butter dish and I only gave .99 cents for it. I think there was some more there but how do you tell if it is pewter if it does not say pewter on it. I only bought the one piece because it had it pewter engraved on it.

alfloyd
10-29-2010, 12:47 AM
Stay away fron the Wilton Pewterex. It is not tin.

Ask me how I know, I have a box full of it. :(

alfloyd

kbstenberg
10-29-2010, 05:19 AM
Hello Grubbylabs, welcome to the land of cast bullets.
If it is pewter 1 it will say pewter on the bottom of the item. 2 It will bend easily 3 Most molded plates with decorative designs are not pewter.
There are several threads in the alloy section of the stickies that explain in detail the specifics on Iding Pewter.
Kevin

grubbylabs
10-29-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks Keven, this is the only piece I bought since it was the only one that had pewter engraved in the bottom. In fact I wasn't even sure I should buy it but I figured for .99 cents I could gamble that pewter was what I needed. Now I just need to know when to use it.

cajun shooter
10-29-2010, 11:05 AM
The Wilton Pewter is a blend of 9 metals and is not tin. It is very nice expensive dinner ware that is not good for smelting.

Bloodman14
10-29-2010, 11:47 AM
One good way to I.D. pewter is that it will have a dull, silver-gray look to it. It will also bend very easily and will retain its shape; when it bends, listen for a creaking/squeaking sound.