PDA

View Full Version : 33 bhn

muzzleblastm38
10-28-2010, 08:33 PM
:confused:[smilie=s:lee lead hardness .gave me a result of 33 bhn .and what the max speed that can be reload in 7.62x54r with that alloy

madsenshooter
10-28-2010, 08:58 PM
According to Lee's book 42,256PSI would be the max pressure for the alloy. The speed you're going to get would depend on the powder/bullet combination used to get to that max pressure. So you have some variables to add before anyone can answer your question. But let's do an IF. IF you were using a 180gr lead bullet and IF you opted to use 50gr of 4350, you'd produce around 41,200PSI, which is under the max pressure for the alloy, and approximately 2460fps velocity.[smilie=w:[smilie=s:

fryboy
10-28-2010, 09:08 PM
here's a good write up on it and a foto of the destructions erm i mean indent values ( i couldnt find destructions posted on lee's site )

runfiverun
10-29-2010, 03:35 PM
if your boolit fits.
a poor fit won't make up for nothing. no matter how hard it is.
you could push that boolit up to 25-2900 fps, but if you have no accuracy that load noise gets expensive after a while.

Frank
10-30-2010, 11:54 AM
runfiverun "if your boolit fits.
a poor fit won't make up for nothing. no matter how hard it is.
you could push that boolit up to 25-2900 fps, but if you have no accuracy that load noise gets expensive after a while."

But no one thing "is King". Variables all work equally together. Fit is no exception.

runfiverun
10-30-2010, 02:17 PM
fit is king.
a little story.
my wife decided an 0-6 would be her ideal.
i measured it for cast boolits seemed the rcbs 165 silhouette would be pretty ideal.
however it would not shoot it [under 2"'s] no matter what velocity i tried it at nor the bhn nor alloy.
on the bench there were some rcbs 150 fngc's made from 75/25 alloy air cooled for the 30-30.
on a whim i tried them.
these measure the same dimensions [nose body etc] except for just a bit more body for the front driving band that filled the throat a bit more.
so by changing that throat filling area and dropping the bhn from 18 to 10 i was able to push the boolit to 2200 fps and hold accuracy to 1" [the same as jaxketed] at 100 yds.
lesson from all this
fit is king. fill the throat. start your boolits out gently,and use a lube that works under stress.

Frank
10-30-2010, 11:11 PM
runfiverun "fill the throat. start your boolits out gently,and use a lube that works under stress."

What does that mean?

legi0n
10-31-2010, 01:24 AM
measure the throat and cast bullets a thou or two larger.
use high pressure lube.

geargnasher
10-31-2010, 01:45 AM
runfiverun "fill the throat. start your boolits out gently,and use a lube that works under stress."

What does that mean?

It means that fit is King, followed by powder selection, and lube.

Good success can be achieved with a variety of powder choices and lubes provided the boolit fits the gun, but if the fit "doesn't", then nothing can be done with any other variable to fix it. Now go aggravate someone else.

Gear

Frank
10-31-2010, 11:55 AM
The 165 grn fit like a king, but shot like a queen. Runfiverun felt with the 150 grn there was more boolit in the throat area. That's different than just sizing measurements. I see two boolits that simply work differently in the gun. I have two bullets that fit like kings, but only one shoots like a king. So fit means nothing more than say, with a boolit you need fillout and you also need to use lube.

runfiverun
10-31-2010, 12:17 PM
no. the 150 did fit better.
the 165 seemed ideal, however there was a slight angled section to the throat[leade] that i was not able to fill with the short body of the silhouette boolit.
at first i attributed the accuracy increase to the longer bearing surface.
but once i was able to get a better impact measurement of the throat i could see what was truly happening.
i compared the measurement to my 308 rifles throat which is cut much more squarely and does shoot the silhouette boolit much better than any other boolit..
my bolt action 30-30 has a long tapering throat and does shoot the 150 fngc okay.
however it shoots my nei loverign design, at full jacketed velocity, with high accuracy simply because i can seat the boolit out in that throat fully filling it.
you don't need oversized diameters.
or super duper space age lubes.
a direct slip fit size is fine, but you NEED to match the contour of your throat and fill it.
and make sure your alloy will engage the rifling properly.
before being sped down the bbl.
keeping the velocity in the correct zone for the bbl's twist rate helps immensely too.
but accuracy is found in the bbl. starting, and leaving squarely are the keys to accuracy with cast.

Frank
10-31-2010, 01:11 PM
runfiverun "
you don't need oversized diameters.
or super duper space age lubes.
a direct slip fit size is fine, but you NEED to match the contour of your throat and fill it.

I knew there was more to it than just sizing.

runfiverun
"no. the 150 did fit better.
the 165 seemed ideal, however there was a slight angled section to the throat[leade] that i was not able to fill with the short body of the silhouette boolit.
at first i attributed the accuracy increase to the longer bearing surface.
but once i was able to get a better impact measurement of the throat i could see what was truly happening.
i compared the measurement to my 308 rifles throat which is cut much more squarely and does shoot the silhouette boolit much better than any other boolit..
my bolt action 30-30 has a long tapering throat and does shoot the 150 fngc okay.
however it shoots my nei loverign design, at full jacketed velocity, with high accuracy simply because i can seat the boolit out in that throat fully filling it."

Also, you prove your point by showing your work, what you have done with a given gun and boolit and test. I respect that.

geargnasher
10-31-2010, 01:19 PM
"Fit" is a three-dimensional term for me in the context of boolits, much more than sized diameter.

Gear