PDA

View Full Version : Newer .357mag 1894C-Marlin Jam? Already?

Bula
10-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Have a newer production, bought new by me about 4 yrs ago, 1894C in .357mag/.38 spec.. Used to shoot .38 specials fine, now, they lock the lever up something aweful. Happens on occasion with .357 mags too. Carrier lets one through, then locks up, fully open, with carrier stuck on the rim of the next round in the magazine.

I only have about 200-300 rounds thru this one (if that...). Have cleaned it and inspected carrier, no wearing noticable. Can it have gone bad this early? All screws checked and tightened, still locks up. Any ideas?

Bullet is .358 rnfp.

ReloaderFred
10-28-2010, 08:52 PM
It sounds like a double feed, but shouldn't happen this soon. I just had to replace the carrier on my 1894C that I use for Cowboy Action Shooting, but it had about 10,000+ rounds through it.

Take it apart and see if there is a bunch of debris in the area of the bolt block. This can sometimes cause a feeding problem if it doesn't drop down freely.

Hope this helps.

Fred

NickSS
10-29-2010, 04:55 AM
It may just need a cleaning you can check the lifter to see if it has a depression where the lever hits it on its sharp edge. If no dent it's probably dirt inside the reciever.

PacMan
10-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Try tightening the screw on the bottom of the receiver. Happen to me and that was the problem.
Dwight

Firebricker
10-29-2010, 08:34 PM
I had the same thing on mine turned out to be a loose screw. I took most of the screw's out one at a time and used blue loc-tite no problem's since. You could have something else wrong but I'd check the screw's first. FB

rintinglen
10-30-2010, 02:16 AM
+1 on tightening the screws. That was a problem for me until I super-glued the front screw in.

Bula
11-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Just a follow up, completely stripped it down, scrubbed it clean. Found an odd burr on the underside of the trigger plate, just forward of the bottom front screw. Looks like it was preventing that screw from being able to seat all the way down (maybe a 1/32" high spot). Knocked down the burr, polished down any imperfections, oiled and assembled. IT WORKS!! Feels a little tight, but this thing hasn't even really been broken in. Thanks guys. Going to keep a little blue loctite on that bottom fron trigger plate screw and loading gate screw moving forward. I appreciate the help.