PDA

View Full Version : what does this powder compare too?

ddhotbot
10-28-2010, 06:11 PM
i have a chance to buy some surplus powder that was pulled down from 308 blanks. i was told it has a burn rate = too unique, but when we tried some in 45 acp 4.7 gr with a 230 lead bullet gave us 859 fps which is much faster than unique.i loaded 18gr in win aa hulls behind 1 oz of shot and got 1175fps.it is a clean burning flake powder. my question is what powder crosses with this stuff? what data should i be using instead of unique? these are actual chrony readings.where in the burn rate chart would this powder fall? thanks

waksupi
10-28-2010, 06:59 PM
The powder is giving the equivalent of around 219 fps/grain of powder in the pistol, 65 fps. in the shotgun. Just go through reloading manuals, until you match the burn rate.

ddhotbot
10-28-2010, 08:35 PM
any help trying to figure this out is apprec.where in the burn rate does this powder fall? thanks

spqrzilla
10-28-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm afraid I'd never use a blank powder as a propellant.

Shiloh
10-29-2010, 12:03 AM
Do a search on this. IIRC, it is NOT safe to use blank powder as a propellant under any conditions. Blank powder is very, very fast.

SHiloh

Shiloh
10-29-2010, 12:09 AM
See these threads.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=45663&highlight=blanks

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=31781&highlight=blanks

Way to dangerous as a propellant!!

Shiloh

curiousgeorge
10-29-2010, 07:53 AM
I do not have any proof of what I am going to say, but with that caveat here goes.

An older man who was an avid shooter and reloader (I sure do miss him) worked at Fort Knox, KY for 20 years as an armorer. I asked him about pulling down the powder from .30-06 and .308 blanks. He told me that the powder that went into blanks was not safe to use in any form or fashion unless you wanted to make a bomb (referring to the cartiridge after reloading with the powder, not literally a "bomb"). According to his experience, this powder had one of the fastest burn rates and was not safe to use due to variations in what was manufactured. He always referred to it as "pink powder". I think that was due to some sort of coloration possibly mixed into the powder but I am not sure.

This conversation was sometime in the late 1970's but made enough of an impression on me to not try using blank powder.

As I stated in the first sentence, I cannot prove this to be correct and I offer it just as what was passed along to me by someone who had a lot of experience on the subject.

Steve

ddhotbot
10-29-2010, 12:07 PM
sorry but my info was wrong.this powder was pulled from s african 308 with the 19gr plastic bullet. hope this makes a difference

spqrzilla
10-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Not a lot of difference to me, I'd say.

Just don't know enough about its characteristics when being used in a completely different pressure regime.