PDA

View Full Version : Mini-lathe projects

cheese1566
10-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Getting really close to ordering my Grizzly 7x12 mini-lathe.

Let's see your projects and goodies that you have made with them!
(or show off your mini-lathe set up!)

NWFLYJ
10-30-2010, 07:07 PM
I broke down a picked the harbor freight one, I know it is on the bottom of the list but they are near my house and I had some other stuff to return, plus a coupon, plus it was on sale.

I have only played with lathes about three times in my life so I figured if I could make it work for me in my reloading hobby it would let me tinker and learn more.

So now like the topic of the thread says, please post up your tips, and little simple things that a new bee could tinker with.
Thanks Mark

Hang Fire
10-30-2010, 07:21 PM
http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/Rolands_Mini_machine_shop.html

NWFLYJ
10-30-2010, 11:48 PM
http://varmintal.com/alath.htm

JeffinNZ
10-31-2010, 02:30 AM
Great site! I have a Harbor Freight mini lathe on the water right now heading to me in NZ!!!

cheese1566
10-31-2010, 10:59 AM
Jeff,

Check out mini-lathe.com for a vast supply of info and fine tuning for many mini-lathes. He also does reviews and covers everything from beginner to novice.

He is good to email to. I corresponded a little bit just last week on my choice of lathe and if I should order extra replacment gears and parts right away for the future.

82nd airborne
10-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Cheese, I made an ar lower from a peice of solid bar stock, and several other contraptions, on a small grizzly 3-1 machine. You can do anything on them if you take your time, measure everything twice before you cut, and lock down the part as solid as you can. Also use HSS as opposed to carbide on these little machines and you will get a much better surface finish. Also, mount it on something that will soak up vibration.

NWFLYJ
10-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Cheesy, I found this today,

http://littlemachineshop.com/default.php

http://littlemachineshop.com/Info/MiniLatheUsersGuide.pdf

Mark

cheese1566
10-31-2010, 06:15 PM
Good info here too. Nice chart comparing the common mini-lathes. Lots of tooling and replacement parts for them as well. I already bought a quick change tool post from them when it was on sale for $99 last week. I have a sturdy wood bench ready to go. Now I just need to order the lathe...:p
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3691&category=-419988835

theperfessor
11-01-2010, 09:58 AM
One of the handiest things I've made on my lathe (not a mini-lathe by the way) is a set of M-type expander plugs for my RCBS pistol caliber dies. The size and usefulness of them might make for good practice in turning and threading.

scrapcan
11-01-2010, 11:48 AM
here is a page title projects in metal that has plans for useful stuff, some of it will fit mini lathe/mill category. More stuff for lathe and mill there so you just have to look around abit.

http://www.projectsinmetal.com/

you may even recognize Barry Young, he is a member here also.

JeffinNZ
11-01-2010, 06:03 PM
It's been 1/4 century coming and it is only little but at long last I will have a metal lathe.

NoZombies
11-01-2010, 06:22 PM
I've used mine to cut mold cherries, chamber reamers, part the rim off of brass I was swaging, make firing pins, and do tons of non gun related stuff... and I've barely used mine.

I wish it was bigger, but a friend has a 12x 96 Sheldon gunsmith lathe that I can use for barrels and other projects mine's too small for.

I did buy the 14" bed upgrade for mine, and have added a QC toolpost and a dozen tooling holders for it, I shortened the shank on the drill to better fit the tailstock, and I picked up a bunch of specific MT2 tooling for it.

akraven
11-04-2010, 12:47 AM
Here's a site with some projects and lathe improvement ideas
http://www.bedair.org/9x20camlock/9x20project.html

Buckshot
11-07-2010, 01:20 AM
.............Well like most new lathe owners the majority of stuff you'll make at first will be stuff to use on your lathe.

http://www.fototime.com/50A882DF6A6564F/standard.jpg http://www.fototime.com/E6D55144DEF0585/standard.jpg

One of the first things I'd suggest is a die holder. Obviously your lathe will cut threads (single pointing) but anything smaller then 1/4" is simply a PITA, really. Now I didn't have to make the one I made as large as I did but I also didn't have any reason to peel off more metal to make it smaller so I didn't.

To use the 1" hex dies I simply took a 1" socket, heated it up red hot to pull the temper. Then I shortened it and turned the OD to fit a spacer for the die head. The diehead will hold a 1-1/2" die but I'd singlepoint anything needing a die that large, and just use the die (if I felt I needed to) as a chaser. Otherwise it's used for small things like sprueplate screws, mould handle screws, and stuff like that.

That handle sticking out isn't attached, but is simply sitting in a hole in the diehead. The right photo clearly shows the shaft you clamp in the tailstock chuck, and the die head is free to slide back and forth. Total movement is just short of 2 inches.

................Buckshot

deltaenterprizes
11-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Here's a site with some projects and lathe improvement ideas
http://www.bedair.org/9x20camlock/9x20project.html

Steve Bedair lives about 15-20 miles away from here, need to get together with him one day.

elk hunter
11-07-2010, 11:13 AM
A man needs more than one lathe. I have been wanting a watch makers lathe as I sometimes do clock repair. The problem with a mini is, it will not work for some of my projects. Sometimes you just need a bigger lathe to do the work.;)

cheese1566
11-08-2010, 12:41 AM
WOW!
They are all the same, just different proportions!

I bit it after months of researching info and searching. Decided to go with a basic mini-lathe from Grizzly! I am sure I'll be scourned from some and praised by others. It is the G8688 7x12". Friends and family wanted me to save money in the long run and get a bigger model, but then again they weren't paying for it. They forget about tooling. Plus i am sure I'll wanna mill after this. Already eyeing there mini-mill...

I have a 2x3' workbench built and will mount a shop light over it this week. Plus I'll be searching for a moveable desk light at the second hand stores. I already have a A2Z CNC quick change tool post for it with 5 tool holders. A second hand industrial tool store close by has some inexpensive accessories and bits to get a small start. I have been frequenting there for an affordable lathe, but no luck.

Buckshot
11-09-2010, 01:18 AM
A man needs more than one lathe. I have been wanting a watch makers lathe as I sometimes do clock repair. The problem with a mini is, it will not work for some of my projects. Sometimes you just need a bigger lathe to do the work.;)

.........Doesn't matter HOW big your lathe is. Something always comes up where you need a bigger one! :-)

................Buckshot

elk hunter
11-09-2010, 10:36 AM
.........Doesn't matter HOW big your lathe is. Something always comes up where you need a bigger one! :-)

................Buckshot

Very true.

The one in the picture is 32" X 144" and is not really big enough for turning wheels on all the equipment. Which makes it a MINI in this application. I've been looking for one with at least 48" swing, but would really like one of at least 60". Neither of which is very common in my neck of the woods.

cheese1566
11-11-2010, 12:24 AM
So much for ordering the Grizzly mini. I ordered it on Sunday night. Tuesday I get the "backordered" email that it won't be back in stock until 1-14-2011. I promptly cancelled.

Now debating to reorder and wait, bump to the bigger model, or be patient. hmmmmm.

NWFLYJ
11-11-2010, 03:09 AM
Go big or go home!

82nd airborne
11-11-2010, 09:50 AM
You will not be sorry if you get the bigger model. Its dang hard to get stuff locked down tight enough on those little guys.

cheese1566
11-11-2010, 09:59 AM
I am thinking of bumping myself to the G0602 with 1" spindle bore. I see good/bad on various topic groups about this lathe too. I guess everything needs some tweaking when you spend around $1000 or under.

82nd airborne
11-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Bigger the better. You will outgrow it fast. Just make sure it is big enough for barrel work, or you will kick yourself.

JeffinNZ
11-11-2010, 03:42 PM
My Mini Lathe arrives in the country on Monday. It will take about a week to get to me once the container is devanned and I have it transhipped. Can't wait. SWMBO will never see me now.

ReloaderEd
11-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Years ago I aquired a Sherline Austrailian made lathe with brass bed. It has been useful cutting lead bullets at times for gas checks, hollowpointing bullets, etc. It also has a milling attachment. All hand crack however but fun to use.

http://www.sherline.com/images/4000pic.jpg

Mine is much older than the one pictured but you can get the ideal from the picture. They are not a toy by any means. Be Safe:cbpour:

82nd airborne
11-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Mine doesnt have a threading dial either. Dadgum it is a PITA to thread without it. I do it on a regular basis but it is much harder without the dial. I usually just use a bigger lathe in the shop but I have the mini in my garage. So alot of projects get done on the little guy just because I kinda like making stuff i the garage.
Right now I am making a set of dies for the .358 in the group buy.

Here is how I cut threads without the dial.
Turn the compound to 29.5*, obviously.
Leave the half nut engaged. make your first pass of threads.
Push the stop button.
reverse.
push start.
Push stop at the end of the threads.
dial in a few thou on the compound.
reverse direction.
push start.
repeat a billion times.

I'm sure there are easier ways, but why when you can do it the hard way?

If something requires more than one thread pitch, I just do it in the shop on a real machine, because changing gears is a pain, just to have to change them back when you are done threading. I am ranting this because 10 minutes ago I was cutting threads on the mini.....

dbldblu
11-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Lets see, on my mini I have made:

1. Custom "M" dies.

2. Custom seat die plugs.

3. Custom bullet size dies for Lyman sizer (.331 and .365 for instance).

4. Custom rotors for Lil Dandy powder measure.

5. A couple of parts to convert Lil Dandy measure to spring loaded plunger for changing rotors.

6. Homemade lead hardness tester.

7. A mini makes a case trimmer extraordinaire. Forming 7.65x53 Mauser from 30-06 leaves about .4" to trim.

8. Bullet hollow pointing, hollow base and gas check shank removal experiments.

9. Chambered a contender barrel.

10. Made a die to use in Lyman sizer that tapers a bullet. On 311466, for example, I can size the first band to .300, next .302, then .304, etc.

I am sure I am forgetting many projects. A mini lathe is very handy for a handloader.

NWFLYJ
11-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Lets see, on my mini I have made:

6. Homemade lead hardness tester.

Any pics of that and a play book on the making of it? Thanks Mark

82nd airborne
11-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Theres not much within size constraints that you cant do with the minis. However, I gripe about it because I am used to using a 19" LeBlonde.
I did make an AR lower from scratch on the mini griz mill/lathe combo. Its amazing how small of a booboo can scrap one.

82nd airborne
11-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Any pics of that and a play book on the making of it? Thanks Mark

+1 on that.

Buckshot
11-12-2010, 03:45 AM
Mine doesnt have a threading dial either. Dadgum it is a PITA to thread without it. I do it on a regular basis but it is much harder without the dial. I usually just use a bigger lathe in the shop but I have the mini in my garage. So alot of projects get done on the little guy just because I kinda like making stuff i the garage.
Right now I am making a set of dies for the .358 in the group buy.

Here is how I cut threads without the dial.
Turn the compound to 29.5*, obviously.
Leave the half nut engaged. make your first pass of threads.
Push the stop button.
reverse.
push start.
Push stop at the end of the threads.
dial in a few thou on the compound.
reverse direction.
push start.
repeat a billion times.

I'm sure there are easier ways, but why when you can do it the hard way?

If something requires more than one thread pitch, I just do it in the shop on a real machine, because changing gears is a pain, just to have to change them back when you are done threading. I am ranting this because 10 minutes ago I was cutting threads on the mini.....

.................Why don't you make your own thread dial?

http://www.fototime.com/358E1CBF55A374B/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/E96B6C4230D9156/standard.jpg

It's the 2nd thing I made on the lathe after getting it set up. I had the Logan unit but it's small and sits down off the end of the apron. I can SEE the new one. Some black gas pipe for the body, some aluminum, a piece of 1/4" W-1 for the spindle axle and a gear from Boston gear.

Oh, the 1st thing I made on the lathe?

http://www.fototime.com/850688703938AEA/standard.jpg

A bolt cocking knob for a co-worker's Winchester 22RF auto loader. Took me almost all day! Heck I had to grind each tool I used for it as I went along. Busted one on the right. Picture taken with an old H-P 1 Mpix digital :-)

...............Buckshot

82nd airborne
11-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Honestly, the thought never crossed my mind! Now thats something I may have to tackle...

Bret4207
11-12-2010, 08:35 AM
I don't have a mini-combo machine. I have 6" Atlas my Dad had. He joined 2 beds together so he could do barrel work...well, after a fashion anyways. He also had 2 milling attachments. Using them is a last ditch resort. The list of stuff I've made, seen made, helped make and made that didn't work right is endless. My problem is the same as some others have mentioned- size. The old girl often gets used for stuff that's way beyond it's capability. I need something larger, I want at least a 13" machine, 15-16" might be better, but then there's the size of the unit to consider. An inexpensive larger lathe, say $8-1500.00 (see them often), quickly becomes an expensive lathe if you have to build a new structure for it!

Among my more successful projects was the 1 1/2" x 4" bolt I made for a crawler frame to track carrier assembly. The original bolt had worked loose and sometime over the last 65 years is wallowed the hole out a bit. A previous owner had tapped the hole out to 1 1/2" but it didn't clean the hole quite right. My 1 1/2" bolt was actually more like 1.61 or something like that. It required my test fitting the bolt several times with out losing my mark. It also required my locating a larger bolt to start with! Not an easy task in this area. Took me a long time to whittle the 2" bolt I did find down. But I did finally get the bolt to fit right and it hasn't moved in 5 years anyway.

Another project was a scope base to fit the rear sight cut on my 52 Winchester. That's where I learned to hate the milling attachments.

Another project was turning the ends of the 5"x5"x 42" oak crosspieces for a set of bobs (bobsled). Most folks wouldn't dream of using their metal lathe for wood, but the Atlas manual showed it and I didn't have a wood lathe and I needed the ends turned, so...

Buckshot
11-13-2010, 02:44 AM
I am thinking of bumping myself to the G0602 with 1" spindle bore. I see good/bad on various topic groups about this lathe too. I guess everything needs some tweaking when you spend around $1000 or under.

..............The bigger the spindle bore, the more you can do. Going with that machine now allows 7/8" stuff which means Lee type push throughs and other reloading stuff that needs a 7/8-14 thread.

Also, thinking of the lathe needing some 'tweaking' isn't unique to lathes!! People spend a much on cars and guns (to name 2 things common to us all) and will then turn around and eventually spend a sizeable percentage of it's original purchace price on upgrades and options that do nothing other then make it look different or better, in our eyes!

82nd airborne, if you do make one and get the skewed teeth on the gear the dial can be perpendicular to the bed. A less expensive straight cut gear works fine too but the dial body will have to lean to allow the teeth to mesh. IIRC I paid $28 for the gear, but that was 5 years ago.

................Buckshot

82nd airborne
11-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks Buckshot, Its nice to get to forego the R&D on some things.

dbldblu
11-13-2010, 12:59 PM
I will start a new thread re the lead hardness tester I made with my minilathe.

JeffinNZ
11-18-2010, 05:16 AM
It's here! It's here! I unpacked my mini lathe this evening. SWMBO is never likely to see me again now!

cheese1566
11-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Mine came too!!! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! (Four days from Pennsylvania to western South Dakota.
One hole in the box, but no visible damage inside. No visible rust and no extreme goop. Needs a good cleaning and some paint chips, but OK in my book.
Plus, it came with a MT4 and two MT3 dead centers that look to be carbide! (Manual only says one MT3 dead center included.)
So far so good! 2694226943

JeffinNZ
11-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Well, it's note flashy but here is my first creation. .22 spear point jag. It's been 25 years since I used a lathe so I am happy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/DSCN2056.jpg

Buckshot
11-23-2010, 03:37 AM
..............Kewl beans! Brass is SO nice to turn, isn't it? Your wife pprobably thinks the whole lathe thing is now a done deal since it's here ............. doesn't she? Poor lady, if she only knew. :roll:

..........Buckshot

Beekeeper
11-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Ok Jeff,
You have had your lathe for 4 days now.
How about a feedback on it?
Want to get one but am waiting for your report as to what it'll do and what you think of the quality?

Jim

JeffinNZ
11-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Well Jim, I have to say that for a Chinese machine I am pretty impressed. It does all that it is supposed to (that I have been able to do thus far). I think for the money they are great but of course one should be aware of the limitations of such a small device.