PDA

View Full Version : 38-40 Ohaus mold

jefats
09-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but not to relaoding.

Found this off Ebay and was wondering if anyone has any information on it. It looks like a Keith although not exactly. Says it goes 170 grains.

Any information will be appreciated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/jefats/38-40Ohausmold.jpg

Thanks

onceabull
09-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Jefats:If you own it,CONGRATS..Welcome here,I believe you will enjoy it as much as I do mine,I limit mine to revolver use,as also have GC mould for rifle/carbine use..Close enough to E.Keith's ideas to satisfy anyone but a purist.. Onceabull

9.3X62AL
09-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Welcome aboard, Jefats!

That would be a right fine mold design for a 38-40 WCF rifle or revolver, and if ya had one of those 10mm wheelguns by Ruger or S&W--well nigh perfect. Dunno how it would feed in 40 S&W or 10mm bottom-feeders, though--that front drive band "hanging out" sometimes messes things up during feeding, and submerging it into the case might really restrict case volume, esp. in the 40 S&W.

Over the years, RCBS and its corporate structure adopted or consumed a lot of toolmakers or their products--Ohaus and Lachmiller come to mind in this context. Your mold is VERY similar in construction to current molds marketed by RCBS, and these molds have a reputation for being very good quality--perhaps the best "mass-market" casting tools available, with a very fine reputation for customer service after the sale.

jefats
09-28-2006, 08:58 PM
onceabull,

Can you tell me which mfg handles will fit it? Also, since you load the same mold, what is the OAL of the loaded round. I intend to use it in a converted flattop which Alan Harton is doing for me. Looks like it will be "close" if you crimp it just below the front driving band.

Any favorite loads you care to share will be appreciated and used judicially.

Thanks

targetshootr
09-28-2006, 09:38 PM
It looks good to me too, Jim. It's what I'm hoping to see over in Group Buys before too long.

onceabull
09-28-2006, 10:55 PM
Jim: watched you snatch up the Lyman 401452 on E-Bay just now..congrats, good on you for posting here,as newbies get slack(unlike the members who have been outbidding me for years on anything decent!!!!).. My only 38/40 these days is a Colt New Service 7.5", so I don't "push the envelope" loadwise.. 8.0 gr "old "unique for fun, 17 gr."Old"2400 for business. OAL with the ohaus boolit is 1.565..let my loads for rifle go way with it sometime ago,When the right one comes by I'll look through the old sheets..ENJOY, Onceabull:mrgreen: added @ edit.. RCBS handles on mine...

jefats
09-29-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the handload info, onceabull. I don't cast but have friends who do and they are kind enough to grace me with some of their best work. Nothing like good friends. Targetshootr has me thinking about getting a melting pot now. Is there no cure?

This will be my first 38-40 so I'm doing lots of research. Saw Taffin mention the Boser mold in one of his old articles and then found what looks like a duplicate in this Lyman mold on Ebay. So, now I think I'm all set moldwise with the Ohaus and Lyman offerings.

Appreciate you laying off the bid. Maybe I can do you a favor in return. If you want to borrow it sometime let me know.