PDA

View Full Version : .45 Colt reduced

Avery Arms
10-27-2010, 09:52 PM
I want to load up some .45 colt ammo that has limited power and range so I can pop squirrels with my deer revolver while minimizing the chance I will kill someone in the next county.

I swaged some soft lead 124g full wadcutters and now I need to figure out a charge and seating depth.

I'm contemplating 2.5 grains of trailboss with the bullet seated like a half inch below flush but I'm just taking a wild guess. Does anyone have data that would launch a 124g bullet at around 500-600 fps? Even .45 Schofield, .44 Russian or .45 acp data would be close enough.

PP

DanWalker
10-27-2010, 11:17 PM
I want to load up some .45 colt ammo that has limited power and range so I can pop squirrels with my deer revolver while minimizing the chance I will kill someone in the next county.

I swaged some soft lead 124g full wadcutters and now I need to figure out a charge and seating depth.

I'm contemplating 2.5 grains of trailboss with the bullet seated like a half inch below flush but I'm just taking a wild guess. Does anyone have data that would launch a 124g bullet at around 500-600 fps? Even .45 Schofield, .44 Russian or .45 acp data would be close enough.

PP
Try light doses of Bullseye. It'll produce less muzzle blast, making your loads a lot quieter.

rintinglen
10-27-2010, 11:51 PM
The Lightest load I ever tried was a 141 grain .457 round ball on top of 3 grains of Bullseye. I think that load might get you in the ball park, but you might want to go up a few 1/10s to get the velocity you are looking for.
Those must be some peculiar looking bullets. Wider than they are tall, I'll guess.

MtGun44
10-28-2010, 01:05 AM
I guess that your boolits are wider than they are tall. I was going to suggest that
you use a round ball for minimum range due to low sectional density, but it sounds
like you have an even LOWER sectional density, which means very rapid loss of
velocity due to air drag.

Bill

HEAD0001
10-28-2010, 01:20 AM
I agree with the above poster. A round ball does a better job, and can easily be accurate to 30 or 40 yards. I use Red Dot Powder for my "gallery loads". In a rifle the load is completely silent. You can hear the hammer drop. Tom.

Avery Arms
10-28-2010, 02:09 AM
I guess that your boolits are wider than they are tall. I was going to suggest that
you use a round ball for minimum range due to low sectional density, but it sounds
like you have an even LOWER sectional density, which means very rapid loss of
velocity due to air drag.

Bill

A very rapid loss of velocity is my intention, I only need it to fly strait for 15 yards or so.

PP