PDA

View Full Version : Where to put a medalian?

Shooter6br
10-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Have a bronze medalian to put on my Ruger NO 1 stock Question where? See pic

10-27-2010, 06:39 PM
I don't know about the Ruger protocol for such placement but most of the factory Winchester medallions were placed on the right side of the buttstock- half way top to bottom and half way between butt and end of the grip/beginning of the comb. I have one factory done medallion on a Winchester 1895- a nickel silver oval placed at that location. Oh and all the medallions I've seen have the logo on the medallion oriented to be 'read' as the gun is in the near horizontal position (parallel to the top edge of the comb). I would imagine if the medallion was special ordered the person could have had the factory put it anywhere as long as it would fit. The same would be true for after-market/gunsmith added medallions.

Charlie Sometimes
10-27-2010, 10:44 PM
If it is a standard sized medalion, then you can probably find a proper sized Forestner wood bit to drill the stock and get a tight "tap" fit. I did it for a buddy, and installed several silver dollar "rounds" in various lever gun stocks, then decorated them to "period" Indian style with tacks, etc.
I got my positioning of the coin by searching for various comemoratives on line and down loading the pictures and matching from there. I have seen a few Rugers advertised on Gun Broker or Guns America that had comemorative coins inlaid in the stock. Check those sites and see.

Ultimately, the coin will just "look right" when it is properly aligned and positioned. If it looks out of balance visually, then it is wrong. Lay it on the stock and see what you think.

Another thing you will not realize until you get the hole started (if you have never done it before) is the stock surface is rounded and the coin is flat. You will need to set the coin deep enough to flush on the shallowest edges (top & bottom), and then taper the wood from the high spots (Front & butt) to the coin to get it to look right, then refinish the modified areas.

Good luck, take your time, and I hope this was helpful.

10-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Charlie Sometimes,
That's about as good an explanation of the techinique as I've read.

I've done a few and the two biggest problems for me have been finding the right size Forstner bit and dealing with the curve of the stock. Once in a while the medallion will be exactly on a standard bit size. And once in a while even a metric Forstner will work. Good Forstners are expensive tools for a one or two time use. If the medallion is not a standard size you can find (or borrow) a Forstner that is just a little under size then the inlet can be custom fitted to the medallion. Wrap some 330 or so sandpaper around a flat bottomed wood dowel where the edge of the paper is exactly at the edge of the dowel and enlarge the inlet carefully, by hand. Check often.

I've been tossing around the idea of putting a medallion into an original Win 73 stock. But, I know it would hurt the value of the gun. I have a US Double Eagle dated 1873 that would sure go nicely into that 73 stock! If I find a beater 73 stock to fit the gun I might do it and just keep the original stock in case I decide to sell the gun.

jhrosier
10-28-2010, 03:15 PM
It seems like a person could make a box jig for a router to do odd sized medallions.
It might be a bit of trouble for only one installation though.
OTOH, most of us have more time than money.....:bigsmyl2:

Jack

Charlie Sometimes
10-29-2010, 10:52 PM
A jig for a plunge router is a good idea, too.
You could probably adapt various templates to install the coins, level off the wood around the coin, or do any other work. Nearly the same as how a stock duplicator functions.
Like you said, development time and setup is key, but after you get that done, the next one is cake! :smile:
One thing I forgot to mention above- you have to set the stock up flat and square to the bit in the spot you want the medallion. That means lots of shimming or building a special support jig for that side of the job. A reverse profile of the stock is the ideal jig for maximum support and stability. I used spray foam in a plastic bag and a box form for side support. Once it dries you can modify angles, etc. for set up, and it hold good with no stock damage. I got the idea from a shipping crate I saw for sensitive electronic equipment. Easily removed, and disposable.

Charlie Sometimes
10-29-2010, 10:57 PM
I've been tossing around the idea of putting a medallion into an original Win 73 stock. But, I know it would hurt the value of the gun. I have a US Double Eagle dated 1873 that would sure go nicely into that 73 stock! If I find a beater 73 stock to fit the gun I might do it and just keep the original stock in case I decide to sell the gun.

I'm not sure that a double eagle would decrease the value- what's THAT worth on todays market? :confused: Depends on how you look at it, or who is looking at it, I guess. :veryconfu
I think I would just toss that idea and save yourself the grief on either account. You know how collectors of either get. :lol: