PDA

View Full Version : Low-temp component storage

Byron Cromwell
10-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Awright:
I just bought the primers. The small pistol (Tula from Graf and Sons) are still in the plastic wrap from the factory, the large rifle are Winchester and sealed in the box but no plastic wrap. They are currently on an upper shelf in a cardboard box inside an unheated building in central Maine. It rains outside but the building is tight, and winters here are cold and dry.
As per insurance restrictions and space requirements, the powder is still new in the sealed cans and caddies, also in the unheated bldg.
Will this kill the powder and primers? I've fired thirty-to-forty year old primers and powder -- opened for that long -- with very few misfires, maybe three out of a thousand, but the stuff was free. I paid for this, however, and I don't want to lose my investment.

Any siggestions?

Byron

toecutter
10-27-2010, 05:36 PM
Well, the instructions on most things that are explosive say 'store in a cool dry place". That seems to be a cool dry place. While I don't think this will actually be a problem, you may want to call the powder manufacturer and see what they have to say.

fecmech
10-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Cold is your friend for long term storage, heat is what deteriorates powder and primers. There are probably not to many places better in the country than where you are for powder storage!

Shiloh
10-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Cool and dry is ideal. Some folks keep powder and primers in a freezer. They bring it up to room temperature to use. I never saw the need. Cool, dry, and dark or subdued light if your surplus powders are in white jugs.

Shiloh

Dean D.
10-28-2010, 05:51 AM
I store my primers in a .50 cal. ammo can.

nascarkent
10-28-2010, 11:26 AM
I store my powders and primers in cooler's ,The temps stay pretty constant ,and you can just stack em

oneokie
10-28-2010, 12:27 PM

On a shelf in the linen closet, without the ammo can would be a safer way to store the primers.

c3d4b2
10-30-2010, 08:00 PM

I have a friend that at one time used metal ammo cans to store primers. He had a house fire and the primers detonated causing the primer can to explode. His advice was to not store primers in metal ammo cans.