PDA

View Full Version : Stick lube vs pan lube?

max it
10-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Hi,

I have both types of lube. I tried to put some 148gn Wad Cutters thru my lubrisizer but wouldnt work. They have liquid Alox grooves; are they too shallow?

My sizer for .358 has 4 rows of holes for the stick lube to seep thru but no go with this design. Should I be content to use liquid Alox on this one?

Much obliged,

Max

fryboy
10-27-2010, 12:57 PM
hmmmm usually one uses the same lube for the sizer that they use for pan lubing , i have a few wadcutters on those i usually only lube 1-2 grooves the correct top punch helps a bunch with thses boolits to p[ush them far enough in the sizer, , and have been tumble lubing alot of them after all wadcutter loads arent very demanding of the lube , as for the lee TL boolits , yup they dont regular lube very well , some folks have had limited sucess but i'm not fond of headaches lolz of course ur mileage may vary ... LLA , recluse's recipe or even rooster jacket all work well on them

max it
10-27-2010, 01:50 PM
HI FryBoy,

You have a point, did I not push the wad cutter in far enough??
Wouldnt it have shown up in getting only the lowest groove lubed?
Whereas I didnt get any lube on any grooves.
I dont pan lube but rather tumble with LLA, which I guess is good enough. As you said WCutters aren't very demanding. And one of the revolvers is a S & W 36-2" so it isnt going very far in the barrel.

Much obliged,

Max

max it
10-27-2010, 01:55 PM
:shock:

fryboy
10-27-2010, 01:59 PM
i hate putting "if's " out there but ... if u had proper pressure on the lube then assuredly u didnt get the boolit deep enough in the sizing die for lube to come thru the holes ( there could be a few if's in there btw ) if u had an air lock then also no lube would come thru but the first few pulls down should of remedied that , i have one boolit that has a bevel base , when i didnt get any lube in the grooves yet it was as far down as my top punch would go i did see a smidgen on the bevel - that told me i needed a smaller diameter top punch in order to go down further , that boolit btw only lubes two grooves anyways unless i get a super small punch to push it even deeper ( mite be called a soup can style boolit lolz ), the center piston of the die blocks the holes until the grooves are there so no lube equates no grooves past the holes , a quck way to check is lift the lever slightly and put another boolit on top of the one in there already ( if it'll fit ) then push both down , mite make a mess but it should tell u if ur getting lube , i am of course assuming that ur not using a hard lube or that u have heat to it etc etc ....

max it
10-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Good,

I will try it.

Later,

Max

max it
10-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Fryboy,

That did it, lower.
In the process I discovered two things; 1.) Wad Cutters dont need a lot of lube, especially since I am loading with 2.9gn of Red Dot and shooting primarily from a 2" barrel. 2.) Star makes a great lubrisizer compared to my #45 Ideal (for a lot more money).

Much obliged,

Max

Shooter6br
10-27-2010, 05:48 PM
I go between pan lubing and TL with Johnsons Paste Wax and 45-45-10 LLA. For low velocity pistol bullets( about 1000 fps or slower) I TL them. I pan lubed my 45 ACP and 41 MAG Milhec's due to the fact they have a wide lube groove( I also love to play "Mad Scientist" ) melting and adding and measuring. "Eye of newt etc" i use Emment's lube as per the old formula for pan lubing. Good article on Castpics web site. Does it make a differance ? Not for me. I use straight LLA for gas checked rifle.

fryboy
10-27-2010, 06:25 PM
agreed the star is nice and especially for bevel base boolits !!!!! it also cost a bit more , at least we all agree on one thing lolz low velocity boolits the lube isnt as critical ! ( but size is ) of the various lubrasizers under the star however ye olde #45 is my absolute fav ! ok in fairness i havent gotten to try to many that was made before the 45 was but ....:-P and the lee's also work awesum ! even more so for the investment !!!