PDA

View Full Version : Ordering new press-little help

HEAD0001
10-27-2010, 01:14 AM
I am ordering a new Hornady progressive press. I will be loading for the 45 Colt. I already have an RCBS die set for the 45 Colt. and I am still deciding about a crimp die.

In addition I want to order:
1. Shell plate
2. COP die(powder check)
3. Powder drop expander

Do I need to order anything else with the press to start reloading for 45 Colt?? Do I need one of the powder tube extensions?? Anything else?? I would like to order it all at one time. And this is my first progressive, so I want to make sure I have everything I need to start with?? Tom.

WILCO
10-27-2010, 01:48 AM
Go right to the source: http://www.hornady.com/

HEAD0001
10-27-2010, 01:57 AM
Go right to the source: http://www.hornady.com/

I already did that. Spent about an hour on the web site. I am looking for any other opinions of something I might have missed or need from an experienced user. Tom.

GLShooter
10-27-2010, 01:21 PM
I am ordering a new Hornady progressive press. I will be loading for the 45 Colt. I already have an RCBS die set for the 45 Colt. and I am still deciding about a crimp die.

In addition I want to order:
1. Shell plate
2. COP die(powder check)
3. Powder drop expander

Do I need to order anything else with the press to start reloading for 45 Colt?? Do I need one of the powder tube extensions?? Anything else?? I would like to order it all at one time. And this is my first progressive, so I want to make sure I have everything I need to start with?? Tom.

You have every thing you need to get it done on the 45 LC. They are a great cartidge to take out and shoot.

Greg

noylj
10-27-2010, 02:41 PM
You have what you need, but there are things that could make your reloading smoother. The "normal" set-up is:
Station 1: resized and deprime (case is primed on the down-stroke
Station 2: Case expand and bell and charge case
Station 3: Powder check die
Station 4: Look at case to verify charge, place bullet on case, and seat bullet
Station 5) Crimp
You will be using a roll crimp. In order to get the most consistent roll crimp, you may want to trim all cases to the same length. This is the only time that trimming straight wall cases make sense. The inexpensive Lee trimmer will trim to the "trim-to" length, but some cases are most likely even shorter than that. You may want to get one of the many "mini-lathes" for case trimming.
Hornady makes a set of excellent powder-through expanders (PTXs) that work with the excellent powder measure you will get with the press. You can also use the Lee PTE die and the Lee Auto-Disk.
I really recommend that if you can afford it, buy the RCBS Lock-Out die rather than a simple powder cop die. It will lock the press if the powder height isn't right and doesn't rely on you looking at the die while cycling the press.
Station 4 is right under your nose while reloading, so you can inspect every case for powder without straining.
For a crimp die, I can not recommend the Redding Profile Crimp die enough. Don't even consider any other roll crimp die.
Finally, the Hornady die sets come with an expander die. If you want to, you can put the expander die in station 2 and the powder measure in station 3. This eliminates the possibility of using a powder check die, unless you decided to seat and crimp in one operation.

UNIQUEDOT
10-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Tom, if you order your press from Grafs, they have a special right now where you will get the 500 free bullets and a set of FREE Hornady dies. Even if you don't need the dies, how can you go wrong?

HEAD0001
10-27-2010, 03:53 PM
I was going to order it with my Birthday pricing from Midway. But then I had a problem with the pricing so I held off. Then I saw a $60 off a $400 order from Midway which brought the price down to $347, which is a great price. I checked stock this morning and they were in stock. So I posted here and another place to make sure I ordered everything I need the first time. After reading the posts I went to Midway to order, and don't you know they are now out of stock!! Just my luck. And they will not honor the price on a backorder.

I will find a good price. I really do not need any dies of any cartridge, although that would be a good deal. I am going to wait for another sale somewhere, just keep my ear to the ground. Things are tough out there right now, I believe there will be alot of sales real soon, and I am not in a big hurry. I have been reloading since 1974 without one. I can last a little longer. Tom.

m-bear
10-27-2010, 04:16 PM
try
http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Hornady-095100-Lock-N-Load-Loader-AP.html

UNIQUEDOT
10-27-2010, 04:19 PM
You could always sell the dies if you order from grafs and since they only charge $4.95 shipping...wouldn't it still beat a sales price?

bhawkeye
10-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Instead of the Hornady expander, I'd recommend one from www.powderfunnels.com. Works much better & covers pretty much all handgun calibers.

GLShooter
10-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Instead of the Hornady expander, I'd recommend one from www.powderfunnels.com. Works much better & covers pretty much all handgun calibers.

Those are as neat as pockets. Almost makes me want to run out and buy a Hornady press but I think my herd of five Dillons might go on strike!! :veryconfu

Greg

Ed_417
10-28-2010, 07:33 AM
Dont forget to order a 3 pack of spare case retention springs. You will probobly need them. Only a couple bucks each.

Powder funnels work great. They take 2-3 weeks to get.

RCBS lockout die works great also.

Ed