PDA

View Full Version : Ideal 10x36 screws

MT Gianni
10-26-2010, 11:52 PM
Per a recent e-mail with Lyman they no longer have in stock any of these sprue plate screws. Anyone finding an old mold missing a screw will need to make one or tap it to a larger size.

HeavyMetal
10-26-2010, 11:58 PM
I think these are available from Erik at HP mold.com

He does not have the sprue plates themselves but I have seen mold screws advertised on his site.

MtGun44
10-27-2010, 12:34 AM
Not hard, just time consuming to make with a lathe. Not cheap to turn out one
at a time.

Bill

JIMinPHX
10-27-2010, 12:50 AM
If someone would like to pick up the ball on this one, you can contact a fastener manufacturer & get a quote on having them make up a minimum purchase run on a duplicate screw. You would probably need to buy at least 1,000 to get a good price, but then you would be the go to guy for that kind of thing from now on.

Alternately, someone might try to find a place that sells all-thread rod in that pitch, then make up some shoulder bushings & weld a nut on top.

...just a few ideas.

If someone would like to post a drawing of the screw in question, I might be able to come up with some more possible solutions.

old turtle
10-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Some may dispute this but I have some old Lyman molds which use the 8 x 36 for the sprue plate lock screw in addition the thread on the sprue plate screw. I wanted to replace these with allen set screws. So far I have not found a replacement. I am lucky that these existing set screw heads are in good condition.

beagle
10-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Too bad threading dies and taps are not readily available for the old Ideal and Lyman stuff. The 310 tool stuff is a nightmare or oddball threads.

I sat down one time with my machinist buddy and we went through a box of 310 dies and measured the threads to see what I'd need to recondition my 310 die stuff.

Then, I searched for the dies on line and, yes, they were available. The problem being is that the prices scared me to death as most were custom made items.

Oh well, guess retapping to a more commonly used thread is the solution./beagle

EKO
10-27-2010, 09:07 PM
I would be willing to make a special run of them if there is enough interest. Need to do 100 pcs or more to be worthwhile and for the per piece price to be reasonable. Erik

MT Gianni
10-27-2010, 10:57 PM
My problem id a 1/4x20 bottom out tap is as common as there is. I just have to get used to seeing a hex hwad at the top of a mold.
Eric, Thanks I could see them being usefull @ even $2 each but doubt that there are a lot of sales in a year. I swapped around screws with the 3 molds I have that are that pitch and now it is a 358311 needing a screw which is as easily replaceable a mold as I own.

old turtle
10-28-2010, 08:34 AM
I could use 5 of these. I know that is not many but its a start. There must be many others out there.

James Wisner
10-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Slotted screws is not a problem.

They can be made from 12L14 like the factory did, then caseharden deeply, and temper back. We do that on a routine basis.

You just need a smaller CNC lathe and good samples.

I do have such a lathe about 15 foot from this computer, that we run all of our round parts on. I will have to go thru Dad's moulds to get sample screws, most of my Lyman moulds are post 1970, while he has some old Ideal moulds.

Normal short runs are about 100 pieces, this amount is needed to write the code and proof the program and break even on time spent, the cost varies depending on time to machine the screw. As with anything set up is the killer, so on set up I try to run parts that are close to the same that use the same tooling.

Small screws $2.75 each larger ones up to $ 3.25 each, it depends on diameter of material needed, and overall length, and time to machine it.

If someone is interested they can PM me.

James Wisner
www.wisnersinc.com

MT Gianni
12-10-2010, 01:19 PM
I found a 6mm x 12.9 [coarse] allen head metric screw fit with an interference fit. It holds well but I adjusted it and put the original lock screw in/ It seems to work well.

JIMinPHX
12-10-2010, 10:30 PM
A few useful drawings -

Red River Rick
12-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Actually, the screws that hold down the the older style sprue plates on the Lyman moulds was/is 10 x 34, and not 10 x 36.

I checked the thread pitch on an Optical Comparator and they are indeed 10 x 34.

Erik, does offer replacement sprue plate screws, but he does state they are 10 x 32. They'll work, but the threads in the mould may get buggered.

RRR