PDA

View Full Version : Yessssss!

Digger
10-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Finally got around to smelting my radiator shop drippings.....two full five gallon buckets=75 pounds of ingots , 60/40 solder ...[smilie=p:[smilie=l::lol::grin::drinks:
still have one more bucket to go.. cost so far ? , 9 dollars of propane....

digger

alfloyd
10-26-2010, 08:01 PM
:cost so far ? , 9 dollars of propane...."

If you get a bulk tank (300 to 500 gal), you can get it filled for a lot less per gal than buying in the 5 gal size.

That is what I did and I got it filled for $1.00 per gal.

Digger
10-26-2010, 09:14 PM
Good point there alfloyd. ...here at my place , use natural gas for the house and I learned in the beginning that these drippings are stinky , smoky so I went to my company's equipment yard to do the dirty deed.
I can get away with doing wheel weights at my house but the other .... didn't want somebody of official capacity showing up , wondering what was going on in the neighborhood .

digger

lwknight
10-27-2010, 12:02 AM
That is what I did and I got it filled for $1.00 per gal.
Must have been a couple years ago.
I had to pay $2.10 last month

Digger
10-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Okay , now that I got that far ... I used lee and seaco 1 pound molds , the lee has the 1/2 pound slots also but everyone knows that ...
Weighed these little puppy's and here's the question , tin being lighter then lead in volume , my ingots weigh out to 14 ounces give or take a little each way being just shy of a full pound.
Is this right ? ...seeing as how there is such a large percentage of tin .

digger

alfloyd
10-28-2010, 03:04 AM
"my ingots weigh out to 14 ounces give or take a little each way being just shy of a full pound."

Sounds about right for tin/lead solder.
The 63/37 tin/lead ingots I have are shy of a pound about the same amount.

Lafaun

alfloyd
10-28-2010, 03:08 AM
"Must have been a couple years ago.
I had to pay $2.10 last month"

Yes it was last year, August. Here in Utah it is best to fill your bulk propane tank in late
summer as the price is lower then.
Haven't bought any this year as it is still 2/3 full.

Lafaun