PDA

View Full Version : xray sheet lead?

arjacobson
10-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Hello-First post!! Anyway I have a deal with a guy to buy a 180lb pc of sheet lead that used to be in a dentist office. I am getting it for less than what a scrap yard would pay him for it. Of course I have to load it! Does anyone out there know what type of lead this would be?? Pure?? Some type of alloy?? Any help is much appreciated...

alfloyd
10-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Most likely it will be pure lead. If not it will be very soft anyway.

kbstenberg
10-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Welcome to the world of cast bullets.Best bunch of friends a guy can have. Any problem you have can be cured here with friendly assistance.
Your lead should be pure an very soft. Very good for alloying with WW. If you want to know for shure if there is any other elements in the lead you could take a sample to most bigger scrap deallers an have them analyse your sample. It would cost some to find out.
Kevin

fryboy
10-26-2010, 08:19 PM
i can only guess ( a semi educated guess but a guess none the less ) it'll be soft that much we know lolz but it could either be close to pure or have some antimonial content , i'd plan on it being close to pure and if it shows a lil harder then even better , only way to know is cast some and test it ( well there's always that rotometals assay but thaz 'pensive ) i've found it both ways and i will state that if it has any sheetrock or paper left on it the smell is terrible when smelting !!

arjacobson
10-26-2010, 08:39 PM
thanks a bunch guys. This is really a great site. I have already picked up a bunch of info!!!

idahoron
10-26-2010, 09:04 PM
The sheet I have runs 6 to 7 BHN. It is perfect for muzzleloader bullets. Ron

sqlbullet
10-27-2010, 02:11 PM
With one exception all the sheet lead I have seen is pure. It will require a hot pot to melt, and will exhibit rapid oxidation in the form of a blue/gold surface. Ingots made from pure lead have the visual texture of brownies, like their is a skin on the top.

Mix it 50/50 with WW for pistol. Also mixes well with Muddy Creek Sam's isotope lead and can then be water dropped for about a 15.

HEAD0001
10-27-2010, 04:06 PM
The sheets I have gotten have been pure lead---or very very close to it. Does it have drywall attached to it??

It is really not that hard to transprt. If it has sheetrock on it then rip off the sheet rock and the lead will fold up very easy. You can fold it two or three times very easy to make it more compact. Tom.

Bob Busetti
10-27-2010, 05:12 PM
A friend of mine was remodeling a hospital and wanted to know if I wanted some lead. Sure why not! At least 1200 lbs of xray room lead. Good stuff!!
I was muzzle loading at the time. Makes great bullets. I also used alot of it for center fire pistol and rifle using Lyman's formula for #2 mix. As good as it gets!
Bob

arjacobson
10-27-2010, 05:16 PM
From what I understand it is a 180 lb bare sheet..No drywall or anything else on it. Should be a good start for some .45's...

Bullshop
10-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Want to sell some? I will give $1.00 per pound shipped.

arjacobson
10-31-2010, 07:24 PM
I would sell some but it ended up being only 80lbs instead of 180-I got it for 30 cents a pound damn near delivered to my house!!!. Great guy to deal with. He even threw in 4-5 lbs of wheel weights he had for free!!