PDA

View Full Version : Noobie with a couple of questions

brow_tines
10-26-2010, 02:44 PM
First of all, I want to thank everyone for the information I have already received by lurking [smilie=s: Second of all, I'm just starting the reloading/casting process, so I have a few questions.

1. I was thinking about using Clay's powder for pistols, but I can't find much information on Clay's and cast boolits. Where can I find more info, or should I start with a different powder.

2. I was thinking about using Lee boolit molds, are they a good choice?

3. Should I stay away from cast rifle boolits until I get the hang of cast pistol bullets ? (Due to gas checks? because I can keep they under 1400 psi I might be mistaken but I think Richard Lee said in Modern Reloading that you dont need gas checks if you stay under 1400 psi?)

BTW, I'm a tight wad, so I just ordered my press kit today and will probably buy a little along and hopefully by Christmas I will have everything I need for casting and reloading.

Thanks for the info

curiousgeorge
10-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Welcome aboard. Keep reading and learning. We all do that here every day.

1. You did not state the handgun caliber(s), but Clays can be used in many. Try the Hodgdon Website for more info or email them specific questions.

2. Lee molds are a good way to get your feet wet without drowning your pocket book. If you go with the tumble lube bullets, you can get started fairly inexpensively.

3. Just in my opinion, I would dabble with the pistols for a little while before trying a bottle neck cartridge. If you have something like the .45-70 and are loading mid-range loads, you probably could do that along with the pistols, but I would wait just a little while.

4. If you think you are a tightwad, you ain't seen nothin' yet until you get to be an OLD tightwad like a lot of us here. Oh well, learn from the best I always say.

BLTsandwedge
10-26-2010, 03:21 PM
There's good data in Lee's latest load manual regarding Clays and pistol cartridges. Clays is my go-to powder for .38 special target wadcutter loads- as in 2.8 to 3 grains under an H&G #50 standard 148g wadcutter. Likewise for the .45 AR/ACP- 4.1g Clays under a Lyman 452630- a standard .45 standard 200 grain semi-wadcutter target projectile. Lee makes a variety of good, useable products- make sure you search this site for 'lee-menting' or 'leementing' bullet moulds. As to your third question, search this site for the many, many conversations on gas checks. It'll take some reading, but the results will give you a sense of where many of us have been on that subject. You'll find a ton of information regarding their application for certain projects.

And the obligatory caution....the load recipes you see here on this forum are for specific firearms they work with, generally developed by seasoned handloaders/casters. Being new, please stick to published data and work your loads from bottom up. There's plenty of time to experiment a bit once you've a full understanding of what you've gotten into. It isn't rocket science, but then again it can become exactly that. Take your time and enjoy.

Welcome!

Tom

brow_tines
10-26-2010, 03:33 PM
pistols 9mm, 38, 357 mag and I think my brother might try to hit me up to do some 40 and 44 mag

curiousgeorge
10-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Did not notice in your first post that you are from Kentucky. Me too. Anywhere around Green River Lake area?

fredj338
10-26-2010, 03:46 PM
If you are a newb to reloading, some thoughts. I would NOT start w/ cast bullets. There are so many small variables to getting good results, it just doesn't work well in trying to learn to reload as well. Add to that, there isn't a lot of exact data for each lead bullet style. Another thought, I NEVER recommend uberfast to fast burn rate powders like Clays to newbs. They have a very narrow load range & as little as 0.2gr of powder can take you from fine to over pressure if your OAL is wrong.
Get 1000 J bullets & load them w/ a medium burn rate powder like Unique, Universal or WSF. Then you can start playing w/ lead bullets & diff powders when you have the reloading concept down.

HATCH
10-26-2010, 03:48 PM
I personally use only Unique powder for my handguns.
It will work for all you have listed. It isn't good if you are going for full power magnum loads out of the 44mag but you can use it to load 44 mag target loads.

I don't know everything and I am sure that others will say the same thing.

Order you some Berry's bullets (plated) to play with first.
I loaded long before I casted.

brow_tines
10-26-2010, 03:56 PM
curiousgeorge --- I'm live down around Lake Cumberland

fredj --- Yeah I"m mostly gonna start reloading first and mess around a little with the cast later on

mpmarty
10-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Be very careful about loading 40 S&W for someone else. That is one very fussy round and it can turn and bite you quickly. Agreed, you should start with commercial bullets and get comfortable with reloading. Read obsessively and go back and read it again. If you find yourself a bit confused don't feel bad, come on back here and ask questions. There are no dumb questions except the ones you don't ask. Welcome to the obsession.

randyrat
10-26-2010, 06:32 PM
Load in this order for best learning curve= 38-357-44 mag 9 mm 40 SW.
I wouldn't waste my money on jacketed bullets. Jump right in, but double check all your figures, ask a lot of questions, never memorize loads, write everything down for future reference for each gun.
You can asked anything here, how to set up your dies, how much crimp, etc...

runfiverun
10-26-2010, 07:32 PM
clays does have a pretty narrow window with some cartridges.
it works pretty good though.
hodgdons has/had some pretty good loads in thier cowboy manual for it.
i'd start out with something else like unique/aa#5or7 burn range though.