PDA

View Full Version : Nice sight for nice revolver

Newtire
10-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Here is a picture of the little .32-20 hand ejector I got from NoZombies. I picked up this little sight on GB and stuck er on & tried it out this weekend.

I loaded up some 311316's sized to .313" and fired em off at 15 yards just to see. The rifling looked a little worn but boy does that thing shoot. I had to take off due to rain so never got to take it out further.

My load was 3.8 grains of Unique. Think that may be hot enough for this old revolver. It has a 4-digit serial # beginning with #7. I will have to check it out further as I don't know what change it is or any of that stuff. I sure am happy with it. Only wish I could figure a way to fatten up that front sight just a leetle. I thought of gluing on a little plastic on the sides maybe?

HeavyMetal
10-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Don't think plastic will stick to the plating.

The Wonder sight is cool no doubt about it!

If your not worried, or there is no, collector value I think I would tape off most of the sight base sand blast the sight on all sides to ruff it up and then add a glob of Acra glass to the sight.

Use tin foil to make a form to hold the acra glass in place until it hardens.

Then file as needed to get shape and thickness required spray a little flat black paint on it when done.

Easier enough to remove, just heat and pry it off.

Bret4207
10-26-2010, 06:46 AM
Isn't that Wondersight the cats? I have a Colt Army Special with a so-so finish I'm thinking of drilling for the screw so I can mount one. It mde a huge difference on my '17 Smiff. Old eyes need all the help they can get.

Acra glass type epoxy will stick to degreased nickle pretty good. Form a mould over the sight and file to shape/width.

Newtire
10-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Well, I will dig out that acraglas I have and give it a try then. I have trouble finding the top of that thin blade. That ought to make a difference.

I have a long ways to go before I become a threat to any olympic handgun shooters is one way to put it. That little sight sure has my vote though.

Bret4207
10-26-2010, 12:15 PM
You really want some troublesome sights, find an old 1920's Iver Johnson target gun. Front blade about 1/16" wide, rear sight is tiny nubbins about 5/32" high and 1/4" wide with a tiny slot in it. Terrible sights, just terrible.

Newtire
10-26-2010, 10:11 PM
You really want some troublesome sights, find an old 1920's Iver Johnson target gun. Front blade about 1/16" wide, rear sight is tiny nubbins about 5/32" high and 1/4" wide with a tiny slot in it. Terrible sights, just terrible.

I picked up an old H & R trapper with a long pencil thin octagonal barrel. It had a brass blade on it real thin and a little notch. It also had a big cylinder to barrel gap.

After seeing it didn't have alot of collector's value, I pushed out the pin and unscrewed the barrel. Then I faced off the frame on my disc sander and got the gap down close to nothing and screwed the barrel back in.

I sweated it in place since the pin wouldn't fit the groove anymore and it ended up being just one flat turned in from where it was. So then I pulled off the sight and sweated on a homemade ramp sight. It is really a great little shooter now except that there's no way to close up the loading cutout to keep the shell from falling out. It isn't equipped with a loding gate at all!

MT Gianni
10-27-2010, 11:06 PM

It makes you wonder if IJ didn't improve them so you could blame the sights and not the gun.

Bret4207
10-28-2010, 06:58 AM
Well, I can't blame the gun much. When I can get a decent sight picture it shoots pretty good for whats was probably a $9.00 gun in 1920. It's the only 6" barreled IJ I've ever seen in person. Someday I might glue some real sights to it. This one doesn't spit lead or have any weird habits like some of the abused samples I've seen.

9.3X62AL
10-28-2010, 05:00 PM
This one doesn't spit lead or have any weird habits like some of the abused samples I've seen.

A loving home and positive mentoring can work wonders.