PDA

View Full Version : .32 H&R Ruger and Marlin

Hogokansatsukan
10-25-2010, 05:27 PM
About a month ago, I picked up a nice little Ruger Single Six in .32 H&R. I became addicted and now have 4 including a Marlin 1894CB I managed to find.
I picked up an RCBS 32-98 swc and RCBS 32-98 wc mould and went to work developing some loads. I did a lot of research and reading, and have fired a few thousand rounds down range.
This is what seems to work:
Starline Brass
CCI550 primer
5.6 Universal Clays
RCBS 32-98-SWC cast in pure lino (95 grains)
LBT Blue Soft Lube
sized to .314
1350 FPS in Ruger and 1650 FPS in Marlin. No signs of high pressure in either, and is very accurate in both.
The RCBS 32-98 WC I use 2.1 Clays and cast in pure lead (103 grain) with a CCI 550 primer. I'm getting 750 from the Rugers and 910 FPS from the Marlin. Sounds like a pellet gun when fired in the Marlin (no, they don't feed so one at a time).

I tried several powders, but the Universal Clays gives the best performance. The primers are starting to flatten in the pistols but extraction is not sticky at all. Shot from the Marlin, the primers are not even starting to flatten.

It's a nice smokin' load for a strong .32. Rather negates the need for a .327 Federal that one can't get brass for.

ethang
10-25-2010, 06:16 PM
What length Ruger are you shooting? I missed out on a 32 Marlin this summer. I would like to find another one.

I am just starting to load for the 32 mag but have only tried Unique and Titegroup so far. The 32 mag Single Six is a addictive little guy arent they....

9.3X62AL
10-25-2010, 06:43 PM
The 32 Magnum (and the 32 S&W, for that matter) are VERY addictive, indeed. While I have no experience with the RCBS wadcutter design, I have used the RCBS semi-wadcutter for nearly 25 years in revolvers. It is hard to find a load for it that won't shoot well, from 700-1200 FPS.

I've not pushed the 32 Magnum much past its Federal load limits until recently. I really didn't see the need, since it wouldn't be sufficient for deer at any sane velocity and works very well at 900-1100 FPS on the usual range of varmints I've whacked with it. These loads included Lyman #313631, a SWC/GC that didn't shoot well at 900-1100 FPS. Push it along at 1300, though, and groups tighten nicely. Same story with a plain-base/revolver-specific 120 grainer I had Mountain Molds cut for me. With 8.0 grains of 2400 under that casting, it hits with authority and accuracy.

Dave B
10-25-2010, 07:26 PM
I've been shooting RCBS 90gr .314 in my Marlin, also the Lee .314 swc, and a 100gr group buy 6 cav Lee. Been using 4.3 gr Unique which is pretty good, but not magic. The Lee swc is accurate, but not the smoothest feeder in the Marlin. I also shot 6.1 gr AA 7 and it showed a lot of promise. I just got a NOE 115 group buy, but haven't tried it yet. A fellow shooter I know uses Blue Dot and likes it. I"m looking for the best 100m silhouette load.

Hogokansatsukan
10-26-2010, 02:28 AM
What length Ruger are you shooting? I missed out on a 32 Marlin this summer. I would like to find another one.

I am just starting to load for the 32 mag but have only tried Unique and Titegroup so far. The 32 mag Single Six is a addictive little guy arent they....

They are all the Vaquero style with a 4 5/8 inch barrel. I was looking for a Ruger Blackhawk with a 9mm conversion cylinder, and spoted the .32. I never had a .32, loved the birds head micarta grips and the highly polished stainless... bought one. Bought another a week later, then spied the plow handle with simulated ivory, and bought two of those as well. Met a fellow selling a new in the box case hardened and blue bird's head... I have no restraint... and no money now. Good thing they are cheap to cast and load for.

I have had no trouble with the Marlin feeding the RCBS 32-98-SWC. The full wad cutter will go into the chamber just fine if you throw the round in the ejection port, but won't feed from the tube, not that I ever expected it to, and would have been shocked if it had.

I traded in a Marlin .44 Mag because the only thing I could get it to feed reliably was the Lee 210 flat nose. I have all the .44 Lee molds, but that was the only one that fed every time. The .32 Marlin feeds those RCBS 32-98 SWC like a round nose. Found that the folks here seemed to feel that it was almost a magic bullet so I went with that, and you guys were not wrong. My only problem now is keeping production up with it. I was trying to move away from the 9mm semi-auto's so that I could keep up with the amount I shoot (It was nothing for me to go through 500+ rounds a week with those). I thought a single action miight be the trick, but I'm now addicted to these .32's and am getting too fast on the trigger. Still not as bad as the 9mm semi-autos, and am not going through my lead reserves as quickly as I did when shooting the .44's.

Great bunch of knowledge here.

I'll try and get a pic of some of the boolits with my new favorite boolit shooters.

ethang
10-26-2010, 06:48 PM
I know what you mean about shooting them alot. I had planned on just loading on my single stage because I didn't think I would be shooting them much....wrong.

I am on the hunt for a cheap conversion kit for my 650 now....

I am also up in the air about really loading it up or just staying around 1000 fps. I don't see what the added velocity will be good for with a cast bullet. I think a 100 grain slug at 1000 fps or so will do everything a small game gun should do.

19112TAP
10-27-2010, 08:57 AM
I've had a Marlin 32 H&R for a few years now and can tell you it is my favorite rifle and my go to gun when out side plinking or squirrel hunting, I did get a coyote with it last year also.

I use both the RCBS 32-98 SWC & Lyman 311008 with AA#7 with great success I kind of load them hot and have had no problem with leading.

I started shooting reloads with 32 S&W Long brass and had no problems with feeding using the RCBS 32-98 SWC.

As far as keeping loaded round avalible single staging is to slow so I'm ordering a dies set for my Dillon SDB.