PDA

View Full Version : 12 ga Rem 29 loose bbl. assy to receiver

Depreacher
10-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Yes, I have adjusted the toothed ring from one end to the other. I even ordered another adjustment ring from Gunparts and tried it. No luck, :( it was a perfect copy of the original. I then wound a tiny steel wire around the mating shank of the bbl up against the base. I filled the tiny groove there with wire wraps and built it up just right for tightness. Shot it 5 times and it was loose again. The wire was not spring steel so not hard enough. Even thought of using a thin rubber o-ring. a hard steel one might work though. I do not want to peen up any metal on this gun, it's far too nice cond. A deathbed gift from my favorite adopted uncle, a master squirrel hunter. Thousands of squirrels fell to this slick 'ol Remington. Anyone know of a thin steel ring of the right diameter?? Maybe .004 to .008 thick??? Any suggestions??? Any and all info appreciated. :coffeecom

Bret4207
10-26-2010, 07:03 AM
What's the diameter? I'm sure someone out there makes a ring about right. Check places like McMaster-Carr and Grainger. You can always form a piece of piano wire to fit.

Depreacher
10-26-2010, 09:51 PM
THANKS Bret4207,

The shank (not counting the interupted threads) is 1.032" I had a brainstorm this morning about a piston CIRCLIP from maybe a diesel truck or something. There's a slight groove around the base of the shank that maybe would accept half of the circlips thickness, and keep it from spreading out. I could always move the adjusting ring back to it's loosest position to make room for the protruding part of the circlip.

Another thought, I'll go to my friends auto parts store tomorrow and look through his C-clip collection, looking for a one inch diameter skinny one. I can carefully file off any unwanted material.

Good idea on the piano wire too. I just happen to have some left over from an old control line P-51 Mustang from 40 years ago. Improvise, Improvise, Improvise. Don't buy anything, just look around the shop in all those boxes, cans, and drawers. It's not just junk, it's good, useful junk. I'll try the piano wire tomorrow if the c clip idea doesn't pan out. THANKS again. :razz:

Bambeno
11-01-2010, 02:21 AM
Hello, new to posting here but I believe this is what your looking for
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1617/Product/WINCHESTER_1897_12_BARREL_SHIMS

Depreacher
11-02-2010, 09:50 PM
A million THANKS. That is exactly what I've been looking for. A little pricey at $14.95 but well worth it. Will order soon. THANKS AGAIN Bambeno. Is this a great site, or what!!!!!!!! :-D Depreacher

Bambeno
11-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Your very welcome. Yes this is a great site! Glad to help, hope I can be of use around here lol ;)