PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Barrel Length

HEAD0001
10-25-2010, 12:03 PM
I am wanting to get a 44 magnum or a 45 Colt handgun barrel for my Encore. I am now leaning to the 45 Colt. I shot a 44 magnum Contender the other day with a 10" barrel, and I actually forgot how much muzzle flip that rig has. And it seems like the 45 Colt recoil is not as violent as the 44 magnum, even with a heavy load.

So my question to you guys is what barrel length would be optimum to at least try to tame the muzzle flip?? I am also considering having it Magna-Ported. What are your opinions. Tom.

Ed K
10-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Weight is a key factor - as much as length. For example a 10" 45 Colt Contender barrel will have roughly as much flip as your 44 because of the reduced weight. An encore barrel is much heavier - especially in 1" bull.

Bass Ackward
10-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Hey Tom,

One of the key contributors to recoil is the pressure released upon bullet exit. The 44 Mag has a lot more in the same length barrel for two reasons. It is loaded to a higher beginning pressure and it has a smaller bore to drop that pressure as the bullet proceeds.

For the magna-porting this plays a key part. Because the 44 Mag HAS more muzzle pressure, you will see a larger percentage of recoil reduction if you get it ported. If the 45 Colt were loaded to SAAMI pressures, you would see little to no reduction from the porting unless the barrel was VERY short (say 2" as an example) cause there is little pressure to do the work.

So your question has a lot of what ifs. And those depend on how you want to use it and what flexibility you want in doing so. If length is NOT a problem, (say the main intent is for hunting) then go for the longest barrel possible. If you can, then this will limit muzzle flip and eventually make porting a non-factor saving you money.

If you want a 10"er, then go for the Colt.

MakeMineA10mm
10-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Can't speak to the 45 first hand, but I just did some chrono work on my 2 primary 44 mag loads by shooting them in 5", 6", 6.5", 16", and 20" barreled firearms. With slower-burning powders, I found the most-efficient barrel would be in the 12"-14" range.

As Bass and Ed mentioned, there's more to recoil than barrel length too.