PDA

View Full Version : Gas Check Problem

robertbank
09-27-2006, 11:18 AM
I am having a problem seating the gas checks on 300 gr .45 bullets. I have a RCBS Lube set up. Everything is fine until the upstroke whe the die seizes up. It seems the gas check is catching on something and I have had to take the die out and use a vice to push the bullet out. Anyone know what is going on and if annealing the gas check will solve the probelm.

Take Care

Bob

AZ-Stew
09-27-2006, 12:02 PM
Bob,

Sounds like the GC is springing outward and catching at the top of one or more of the die lube holes as you raise the ram to push the bullet up out of the die.

Does this happen every time you seat a 'check, or did it only happen once? Have you adjusted the sizing depth (how far down in the die you push the bullet during sizing) to see if you can find a depth where this doesn't occur? The bullet only has to go into the die far enough to size the foreward-most band.

I'd think that trying to anneal a bunch of 'checks would be a real time-consuming PITA. If you can't eliminate the problem by trying different depth adjustments, you might be better off sending the offending die back to the mfr with a note explaining the problem and requesting a new die. Matter of fact, it might be a good idea to spend a buck on a phone call to the mfr and request some advice from their tech staff.

Sorry, I've never experienced this before, so I can't give you a simple solution.

Regards,

Stew

fourarmed
09-27-2006, 12:02 PM
Does this always happen with this die and bullet, or did it just start recently? I doubt that the hardness of the checks is the problem, but it would be easy to anneal a few and see. A couple of things you might try: adjust the stop so that the bullet doesn't go quite so far into the die. If that fixes the problem, clean the die out thoroughly and inspect it to see if any of the lube holes are burred or have some foreign object lodged in them that might be catching on the checks.

What size is the die?

robertbank
09-27-2006, 12:21 PM
It happens all the time. The die is an RCBS .452 Die. I assumed the gas check is springing out and catching on something. I tried adjusting the die depth but each and everytime it was back to the vice to clear the die. I thought of lubing the bullets then just tryting to seat the gas check by lowering the bullet just far enough to squeeze the gas check but you shuldn't have to do that. I'll call RCBS and see what they have to say. Hate to send the darn thing back but may have to.

I'll try annealing a couple of gas checks and see if that solves the problem.

Take Care

Bob

MGySgt
09-27-2006, 12:27 PM
If the bullets are 'Hard' they will stick in the die (RCBS dies are a little ruff on the inside).

I polish mine with 800 grit wet/dry sand paper on a split dowell for a very short time. (couple of seconds is enough spun with a drill) don't leave it set in any one spot, in and out 2 or 3 times max and the sticky die won't stick no more!

Don't do it more then you need to. Multiple times is better then making the die too large. I took a .457 to .459 in about 2 minutes that way.

Works for me.

Drew

robertbank
09-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Non gas check bullets run throough the die like poop thru a goose but man the gas checks just stop everything. Given the force I have to apply with the vice to clear the bullet it has to be catching on something more than just a burr. Frustrated!

Take Care

Bob

BABore
09-27-2006, 12:49 PM
If you want to anneal your check, get yourself a 2" black pipe nipple, approx. 6-8" long and a couple of caps. With one cap on, dump in a 1,000 458 GC, screw the end on and throw it in your fireplace or grill coals. Takes a couple of hours if you got a good fire. I like to throw in a couple balled up pieces of paper with the GC's to consume the O2. GC's come out nice and shiny. Don't hurt to roll the pipe over now and then. I've even done this on a turkey fryer burner.

454PB
09-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Are you fully seating the gas check before pushing the boolit into the die? The reason I ask is that I've had similar trouble when a gas check was a tight fit and not fully seated before pulling the handle. The check would get mangled a little on the trip into the die and then removal was tough.

robertbank
09-27-2006, 02:00 PM
If you were 5" 4", built like Dolly Parton and better looking I would kiss you!

Your post got me thinking which often is not all that good. I gently lowered a bullet onto the gas check and slowly seated the gas check, raising the handle just after it seated. Then once seated I lowered the bullet so it could get fully lubed. Voila! as the French say. It all worked like it should.

If you knew how much of a headache this has been...

Now I have to find some light loads for a 300 gr bullet for the .45LC.

Take Care

Bob

ps Should ad "and a female". Don't want you guys to get the wrong idea!

robertbank
09-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Well I loaded up some bullets and went off to the range yesterday. Load was 7 Gr Unique which was listed as a mid load in Lyman's Cast Book Handbook.

First my Stampede liked the load.

High Velocity - 809 fps
Low Velocity - 764 fps
Avg Velocity - 784 fps
SD - 12
Avg. Power Factor - 235

Load was accurate. Managed < 2" group at 15 yards, a function of the shooter not the gun. At 25 yards group held to around 5" which for me isn't all that bad.

Recoil was not light but certainly below the threshold of my pain level.

Going to drop the load down a bit and see how the load performs.

As an aside I finally lost the little screw that holds the ejector rod. Dealer is mailing me a new one. Anyone have a suggestion as to the colour of locktite I should use on the screws on this gun.

Take Care

454PB
09-28-2006, 11:19 AM
I've only seen pictures of the Stampedes, but they sure are purdy!

I use blue locktite on anything I might ever want to remove again.

44man
09-28-2006, 04:06 PM
I make my own problems with my home made moulds because the check portion is large. I have to set the boolit in the checks and tap it on the bench until they are seated before even thinking of putting them in the sizer. If your check fits tight, try that first. I would rather have a tight one myself.