PDA

View Full Version : Fouling Shots When hunting

Northerntier1
10-24-2010, 10:51 PM
As a newbie I'm slowly figuring out some of the complexities of BPCR. I have a Ruger #3 action built into a 38-55. My primary intent for the rifle is deer hunting. I have gotten so that I can consistently group 3/4 inch or less at 100 yards after a fouling shot. So the question I have is when you are hunting, when do you foul the barrel? Fire a shot up in the air before going out in the morning? Would a case charged with a load of black powder and covered with a wad ( no bullet) adequately foul a barrel? If I fire a fouling shot, I assume I would then clean the rifle every day after hunting....right? I sure would like to hear some of the wisdom of experienced BPCR hunters as to how you manage this fouling business. Thanks in advance.

Don McDowell
10-24-2010, 11:53 PM
You need to know where that first shot is going from a clean barrel. That way you don't have to clean the rifle just because you fired a fouler and then didn't see anything to shoot at every day for a week.:holysheep You also need to know where that second round is going just in case the first one didn't do what it should of.

RMulhern
10-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Hunting allows NO SIGHTERS! As Don stated.....know where the first shot goes from a cold/clean barrel!

Boz330
10-25-2010, 08:33 AM
What Don and Rick said. I generally shoot 2 shots to see where they are going to go. I then wipe before the next 2. More than likely the difference between the 2 shots at deer hunting ranges won't make that big a difference.
A fouling shot with no boolit would put way more fouling in the barrel than a loaded round since the resistance of the slug causes a cleaner burn. Another option might be a duplex load which will give you a cleaner burn and less fouling.

Bob

SharpsShooter
10-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Yup, cold and clean barrel for the first shot My hunting zero is set to that criteria and in my cast the second shot is right one inch and a half inch low. That's not enough to worry about on Whitetail deer out to 200 yards. The target zero for the same rifle is set to the point of impact of the second shot

Here is a example of a fouler and then five shots at 100 from my 45-70 rolling block

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r255/SharpsShooter_photos/45-70-53055grGoexCart950fps-2-1-2.jpg

Hope this helps ya

SS

Northerntier1
10-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the advice. I sort of expected that the answer would be right in front of my nose and I probably wasn't seeing the obvious solution and I was right. I have been so focused on finding an accurate load and tightening up my groups, I have been ignoring the sighter. Your answers make perfect sense to me. My sighters and my zero group are all within a tight enough group that the deer will never know the difference. Again, thanks for the help. 12 days to opening morning!!

10-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Best of luck to you!

EOD3
10-27-2010, 06:42 PM
IMHO: Hunting requires a good cold-bore shot. Many times, the difference between shot #1 and #2 is the "stuff" in the bore for the first shot. The bore should be dry, no oil or lubricant of any kind. .02/YMMV

RMulhern
10-27-2010, 07:29 PM
"The bore should be dry, no oil or lubricant of any kind"

Yep...MY BORE.....has been cold and dry quite sometime now!!