PDA

View Full Version : Star Lubsizer Dies and bullet punch question

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-24-2010, 11:06 AM
I recently got a used star with 5 sets of dies.
All the bullet punches are custom Nose Punches,
except the 357, that one has the standard bullet punch (Flat).

What is the advantage of custom Nose punches ?

I thought a big advantage of the star was the ability
to push the base of the bullet instead of from the nose,
Jon

dragonrider
10-24-2010, 11:35 AM
JMO but nose punches are more of hindrance than a help. Flat punches and sizeing nose first eliminates alignment problems such as the offset sizing that occurs with Lyman sizers, because the nose punches do not line up with the bore of the size die. This misalignment can be caused by wear of the punch ram. With a flat punch and sizing nose first the boolit is able to slide against the punch face and align itself with the sizing bore. Nose punches can also squash the the nose of a boolit making it fatter than it should be and or bend it. I have used my Star for about 4 years now and could not be happier with nose first sizing.

HeavyMetal
10-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Unless the previous owner had some "custom" boolits to size that required special sizing technique, such as a Lyman 429303, nose punchs are useless.

However many a Lyman or Seaco or RCBS caster has made the move to a Star and never realized the advantage nose sizing gives a guy. They would have bought nose punchs until they learned better.

Put you nose punchs in a little glass case and show them off you do not need them for regular cast boolits!

Flat punch and nose size!

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-25-2010, 09:43 AM
However many a Lyman or Seaco or RCBS caster has made the move to a Star and never realized the advantage nose sizing gives a guy. They would have bought nose punchs until they learned better.

that is what I suspected, but figured I'd ask here, just in case there is something I didn't know. I also got a Lyman 450 from him.
Jon