PDA

View Full Version : What cleaner/polisher added to tumbler media

mac1911
10-24-2010, 10:13 AM
I have a new lyman pro 2500 with walnut media......what cleaner polisher do or would you guys add to the media to get them shiney clean

dragonrider
10-24-2010, 10:38 AM
The polishing product sold by dillon works very well, I am sure it is no different than any other polishing agent sold by many companies and many are less expensive. Many here use polishing agents of their own making that work every bit as well as commercial products and the cost is low. I don't care is my brass is shiny, just clean so I only run my vibrating tumbler for 30 minutes using the Dillon compound.....clean enough.

mike in co
10-24-2010, 11:41 AM
if you insist on using walnut why bother.....

now if you would like clean, bright shinny brass consider corn cob...14/20 grit ground corn cob.

mike in co

jcwit
10-24-2010, 11:45 AM
Most any liquid car polish you have in the garage will work just fine. Nu-Finish, Turtle Wax, MeGuier's, Mothers, ect. ect. Tip, only start new media with a teaspoon or 2, don't overload it with polish, add extra as needed when it stops polishing as you think it should. Use a used cut up dryer sheet to help keep the media clean and the dust down.

Have no idea what kind of media you have at present but later when you need to get more take a look at corn cob 20/40 grit from DrillSpot "google it", costs a little over $20 bucks shipped to your door for 40 lbs. The 20/40 grit is fine enough to not pack the primer pockets and doesn't get stuck in the flash holes. Flows like sand, and cleans superbly.

Hope this helps

HATCH
10-24-2010, 11:51 AM
http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

fryboy
10-24-2010, 11:58 AM
nu finish tho i admit that i have tried many things and most work - love the flitz additive ! years ago i used to get some pre-treated from armsandammo.com that stuff was some of the best i have used , i have to agree that corn cob gives a much better finish and shine but i use it for a ummm final rinse to get all the compound ( which ever one i use ) off the brass as i surely dont want any of it in my dies

mac1911
10-24-2010, 04:56 PM
maybe on my next order to midway I will try the flitz, I been useing walnut shells as its very locally avalible and cheap.

I seem to live in a area that is void of all the things I want or need

jcwit
10-24-2010, 06:08 PM
maybe on my next order to midway I will try the flitz, I been useing walnut shells as its very locally avalible and cheap.

I seem to live in a area that is void of all the things I want or need

I don't really care, but if you call drillspot what is more local than your front door?

AZ-Stew
10-24-2010, 07:50 PM
I have a new Lyman pro 2500 with walnut media......what cleaner polisher do or would you guys add to the media to get them shiny clean

Despite what Mike in Co says, you can get very shiny cases using walnut media and his suggestion of Nu-Finish, the one that comes in the orange plastic bottle. I bought some at the local Checker (I guess it's O'Reilly now) auto parts store. 16oz for $8. Hard to beat.

Regards,

Stew

MtGun44
10-24-2010, 10:35 PM
+1 on Nu-Finish. Mike is right that this is a real effective cleaner and polish.

Easy for me, too. I've used it exclusively on my cars for decades.

Bill

AZ-Stew
10-26-2010, 10:31 AM
P.S. I just got a flyer from Midway listing 8oz od Flitz for $8, ON SALE. That's twice the price of Nu-Finish, and I seriously doubt it works twice as well.

Regards,

Stew

2wheelDuke
10-26-2010, 12:53 PM
I've got some Brasso liquid polish that I picked up for a few bucks. I tried a little dribble in some well-used media and it worked pretty nicely.

HORNET
10-26-2010, 01:18 PM
The Brasso is a BAD IDEA. It contains ammonia which can attack the brass and severely weaken it and make it brittle. Do a search, it's been discussed in detail.
The finer grades of car polishes like Scratch & Swirl Remover work well for polishing. I have used heavy-duty rubbing compound on seriously gruddy brass, then finished up with something finer to get a good finish. I tried some river sand on some real bad brass but it was way too aggressive.

Shooter6br
10-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Got so jazzed up about Nu-Finish . i waxed my Rav 4 (2001) Nu finish sure does clean dried smootz off the paint.Never tried in in my tumbler. usually my cases just have lube and carbon on them. Easy to clean

2wheelDuke
10-26-2010, 01:23 PM
The Brasso is a BAD IDEA. It contains ammonia which can attack the brass and severely weaken it and make it brittle. Do a search, it's been discussed in detail.
The finer grades of car polishes like Scratch & Swirl Remover work well for polishing. I have used heavy-duty rubbing compound on seriously gruddy brass, then finished up with something finer to get a good finish. I tried some river sand on some real bad brass but it was way too aggressive.

I'll keep that in mind. Luckily I've only used it on .380 brass so far. It doesn't seem to have hurt them any, I guess since it's such a weak round.

JFrench
10-26-2010, 02:05 PM
I use Dillion's but I have used Dupont No. 7. Both work well.
James

RugerFan
10-26-2010, 02:52 PM
...Have no idea what kind of media you have at present but later when you need to get more take a look at corn cob 20/40 grit from DrillSpot "google it", costs a little over $20 bucks shipped to your door for 40 lbs. The 20/40 grit is fine enough to not pack the primer pockets and doesn't get stuck in the flash holes. Flows like sand, and cleans superbly.

Hope this helps

Ahhh excellent! I'm going to have to order some of that.

GLShooter
10-27-2010, 01:24 PM
I use NuFinish in my walnut hulls. I get the hulls from a local feed store and pay about $22.00 for a 50 pound bag. I run two big Dillons and do quite a bit of polishing of range brass. At least buying in bulk it doesn't hurt too bad when you throw it out.

Greg