PDA

View Full Version : Pay it forward, pay it back

watkibe
10-23-2010, 10:35 PM
My brother and I are both in our 50's and have both hunted for years, For some reason my brother never had the chance to put his tag on a deer. I, on the other hand, have gotten at least one, sometimes two, deer every year I hunted.
Last year I moved to a remote part of a very rural island in the Puget Sound. I invited my brother to come hunt with me. I then got to work with the game cam, looking for trail, track, rubs, bedding areas, etc.
I had one doe patterned pretty well ( we have an "any deer" season on the island), so I set up a blind. My brother came the night before opening day, and I told him that he was to take the first deer that we saw. At 6 PM the big blacktail doe that I had been watching walked right past the stand. My brother made a great shot. We have to use shotguns or revolvers here, so we both were shooting 870s with slugs. Man, does a slug leave a huge blood trail !!! The doe went down a trail 50-75 yards and crashed. We dragged it up to the house, and had it cleaned and hung in the barn just in time to sit down to dinner. The next day we butchered it and sent him home. You could see it in his face, the joy you feel when you are finally succesful at something you consider important.

I felt honored and gave thanks to God that I had been able to guide my brother to such a big event. That's me on the left, and my brother on the right in the pic.

Three-Fifty-Seven
10-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Good for you!

Now it's time to go find one for yourself!

watkibe
10-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Thanks, Shawn, and you're right ! I saw a buck and doe today but couldn't shoot either without breaking at least 3 laws. I am spending some time on a stand every day. The moon is full, so it should be slow; however, our usual clouds keep full moon nights darker. Plus, we have a 4 day late buck season when the rut is really on. More leaves will be off the trees then, could have a skiff of snow for tracking.

white eagle
10-24-2010, 09:47 AM
That is so nice that you can share with your bro that experience
glad he got one

10-24-2010, 11:59 AM
She looks tasty! Good for you and good for your brother, that is what being a brother is all about.

runfiverun
10-24-2010, 12:15 PM
wait,wait,wait.

doing work for someone else.
being nice to your brother.
where am I?
just checked, i'm on the cast boolits board. okay, now i believe the story.
good job.

lylejb
10-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Congrats, and great job helping your brother.

Now, I need to go find one with my Son.

Anyone know any good places in western Oregon? I'm all ears!!

PatMarlin
10-28-2010, 01:20 AM
That's a great story ...:Fire:

WILCO
10-28-2010, 01:28 AM

Petting zoo.........:kidding:

WILCO
10-28-2010, 01:29 AM
That's a great story ...:Fire:

Indeed. Thanks for posting it.

whitetailsniper
10-28-2010, 01:36 AM
very nice story,and deer as well. im sure he will keep it in his heart,and mind for many years to come.well done to you both!

RobS
10-30-2010, 01:13 AM
Thanks for sharing..............I keep thinking that one day my Pops and I will hunt again. We did back when I was in high school some 15+ years ago.................where did the time go!!!! I just introduced him to the world of cast boolits about a year ago so maybe.................

crazy mark
11-01-2010, 12:15 AM
Nice job. Good to hear some places in Wa still have doe tags. Don't see many listed for SW Wa.

crazy mark
11-01-2010, 12:16 AM

You are too far North. Down around Springfield/Eugene there is lots of places to hunt east and west.