PDA

View Full Version : Your Preferred 45/70 Hunting Alloy?

PbHurler
10-23-2010, 08:10 PM
I'd like your thoughts on what your preferred alloy is for hunting whitetails with your 45/70's. Do any of you consider terminal expansion of your alloys? I've read some writings by Paul Matthews, and He's run pure Pb (albeit paper patched) which showed impressive expansion on thin skinned whitetails. I know "through & throughs" work pretty well, but how "soft" do you go?
Thanks for your replies

btroj
10-23-2010, 08:42 PM
I like an alloy that goes about 12 bhn air cooled but around 20 when water dropped. It is tough enough to hold together while allowing some expansion.
I would go about 50-50 lead to wheelweights. I also have used range scrap with some magnum shot added to give me the arsenic needed for heat treating.
I don't get real scientific about it, and don't plan to. I go for a reasonably soft alloy but one that does not lead. I know this is not a great answer but I use a little o this and a little o that and live with what I get. And it works for me so I don't plan to change.

Don't over think it. Try some stuff and see how soft you can go.

Brad

white eagle
10-23-2010, 08:47 PM
about the same here
nothing real precise I do however like 50/50 as far as a hunting boolit
I a/c most everything just easier [smilie=2:

softpoint
10-23-2010, 08:49 PM
This year I am going to use a pure lead (it's close to pure, anyway) paper patched 340 gr Lee(weighs 361 out of my straight lead) I have been able to maintain accuracy with no leading to over 1900 fps. I have used harder cast bullets with gaschecks, and they killed well, too. The .45 cal bullets start out as large as many other calibers hope to get after they expand!
With proper placement, I don't think alloy is too critical on most thin skinned animals, although I might refrain from using too much linotype as it can make bullets brittle if too much is in the mix. Straight wheelweights probably be just fine.:cbpour:

GabbyM
10-23-2010, 08:51 PM
For White tails expansion is handy.

Figure anything over 100 fps per 1 BHN of hardness will expand some. Therefore with a load of say 1450 fps you could use a BHN #10 alloy and have expansion out to a range where you were still super sonic.

PbHurler
10-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks guys, I think I'm in the neighborhood. My ported guide gun loves this load: RCBS 405gr. G.C. Alloy (by my computations) is 97.5 Pb - .62 Sb - 2.66 Sn - air cooled, weight 418.5gr. sized .459, lubed with Bear Lube Heat. The alloy appears to be close to 30:1 (8 BHN). I've loaded this over 45.0 gr. IMR 3031 CCI 200 primer. With the screens 10' from muzzle, I'm getting 1460 fps @ 60 deg F. Bbl looks great, 2.5" groups at 100 yds with peeps (off of bench). I don't know if I'll get out this year, but looking forward to using this load if I do.
Thanks again for your replies

btroj
10-24-2010, 08:24 AM
You should be fine. You really don't need expansion with that boolit for deer, but it won't hurt either.
Brad