PDA

View Full Version : size of nozzle

Charlie Two Tracks
10-23-2010, 07:39 PM
I have three different sized nozzles for a black powder pistol flask. The problem is, I don't know what they hold. Is there a way to check out what they throw? I know you are not supposed to go by weight but how do you find out how many grains of powder they throw?

R.M.
10-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Use the measures to drop REAL black powder and weigh them. I've heard that it should be 2F but there isn't that much difference between 2 and 3F.
Do not try this with substitutes. They generally are less dense.

mooman76
10-23-2010, 09:23 PM
You don't have an adjustable powder measure? It's a relitively inexpensive item and pretty much a must have for BP shooting. Some times the removable measures have it stamped on it. Usually very faint. If you can find a brass rifle or pistol case that they measure into, someone here can compare for you. The Dixie gunworks catalog used to have a chart in the back that told you what different cases measured to.

Charlie Two Tracks
10-23-2010, 10:01 PM
I have an adjustable powder measure but the makings are not on it. I used to shoot BP many years ago. For some reason, I got out my Pietta .44 from the safe. It's been sitting in there for 25 years. I kind of have the urge to get back to shooting it. I guess I'll have to get a new measure and see what those nozzles hold. I'm pretty sure that I used all three of them but as I have grown older, pretty sure doesn't cut it anymore.

northmn
10-24-2010, 10:24 AM
I have three different sized nozzles for a black powder pistol flask. The problem is, I don't know what they hold. Is there a way to check out what they throw? I know you are not supposed to go by weight but how do you find out how many grains of powder they throw?

I do not know who spread that BS about not going by weight but it is just that, BS. Powder measures are calibrated in units of weight, grains, not in cc's or cubic inches. Weigh what your nozzles drop in real BP. Use that for equivalent measures for 777 or Pyrodex. I calibrate my powder measure settings on a scale so that 1. I can duplicate the charge if the measure gets lost and 2. So i know how much I am shooting. Two measures may not measure exactly the same. Even when I tried the substitutes I would weigh what the measures gave in BP and then weigh the measure with the substitute. I then knew what the substitute amount was. 3f and 2f do not throw the same measure.

Northmn

Hanshi
10-24-2010, 02:48 PM
I have found some small discrepancies in weight vs volume between 3f and 2f and between brands and lots. These have been small enough to ignore in actual shooting. Bp was meant to be measured by volume and it is very forgiving stuff. Get an adjustable measure and see what your spouts throw. All bp shooters should have an adjustable measure, anyway.

mooman76
10-24-2010, 03:39 PM
I have found discrepancies between one brand of powder measure and another. Notnig to be concerened about because BP has some leeway, unlike the smokeless powder. The key anyway is consistancy just like any other then in reloading, be it smokeless or BP. Here are some gr weights from the Dixie catalog of what a mt brass shell holds.

45-70 75gr
30.06 70gr
30-30/45LC 42 gr
45acp 28gr
38 spcl 24gr
30 carbine 20gr

northmn
10-25-2010, 11:08 AM
The differences can fool you with the smaller bores. Consider that 2 grains in my 25 is 10% of the powder charge as I use 20 grains. In a 50 using 70 grains its about 3%. Also I do measure, but as stated when I use a load it is in a calibrated measure such that the markings on the measure are just a starting point. My measure for the 25 is set at almost 23 grains to get 20 grains of 3f Grafs. Also while pretty consistant, measures can vary. Also if one like to make some stuff like antler measures and so forth its nice to have a weight reference. When I suggest to someone to try 70 grains of 3f in their 50 its is very close to 70 grains not some setting on a powder measure. Over the years I have collected quite a bit of "stuff" and have more than one powder measure and flask and horns. I have a seperate bag for each caliber I shoot. One reason I tend to be a little more meticulous about this. Lee now numbers their powder measures in CC's which is true volume, but it is easier to make a measure according to weight. If a person has one measure, and works up a load with it and uses it, it really does not matter what the graduations say if everything works, but it is nice to duplicate the load if the measure gets misplaced (I am very good at that)

Northmn

waksupi
10-25-2010, 03:48 PM
I guess I will point out an important safety consideration with flask measures.

NEVER load a muzzle loading rifle directly from a flask or horn with one of these charger spouts! If you should happen to have a spark left down there, lots better to have 100 gr. of powder go off in your hand, than a pound of bomb.

Charlie Two Tracks
10-26-2010, 06:52 AM
Is it a safe practice to use one on a pistol? If not, what would you use or what do you use?

waksupi
10-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Is it a safe practice to use one on a pistol? If not, what would you use or what do you use?

Revolver is ok as it is a different animal, not truly a muzzle loader.
Any other BP firearm, use a separate powder measure. Pour the powder in the measure, then in the barrel.

Charlie Two Tracks
10-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks waksupi