PDA

View Full Version : small score

home in oz
10-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Visited three local tire venders.

Received free lead at each place.

Have attached photo of first two scores.

a.squibload
10-31-2010, 04:15 AM
Looks good.
When they say "We don't have that much" I say "I'll take what I can get",
or "I don't need much, I just cast at home as a hobby".
I think a lot of 'em are worried that you're gonna turn it in for scrap, and
they will miss out on a few bucks.
Then they figure the time they'll have to spend sorting and weighing,
sooner or later they figure it's worth it for me to drag it away for nothing.
Unless some other guy has made a deal to pick 'em up and pay for 'em.
Whoever "that guy" is he must scare them about guys like us, if I get turned down
I rarely get a chance to bargain (offer to pay more than "that guy").
They get all official and surly.
Wonder what he tells them?

Keep scrounging, can't hurt to ask!

Charlie Two Tracks
10-31-2010, 09:02 AM
There ain't nothing wrong with that! That is a good score. I am real pleased when I get that much around here. Times are tough and I don't blame the small stations for trying to get all the extra income they can. It makes you feel good when you find stuff like that don't it. Too bad we can't Trick-or-treat for lead!

imashooter2
10-31-2010, 10:04 AM
More than you had is always a good thing. Getting it free is just gravy...

JJC
10-31-2010, 11:14 AM
Seems like the small local tire shops are more willing. The big name stores have a scrap guy they have a deal worked out with, atleast that's the story I get. I even had my wife ask when she had new tires put on and she got nowhere. Good for you.

home in oz
10-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Start off by dressing for yard work in old clothes.

Take an older vehicle...

Well, I ask them if they could spare a few wheel weights, which results in them walking me out to the tire changing area.

Then they hesitate, while we stand and look at the pile or bucket they have, and I say, I have a small bucket in my pickup truck. They dont want to give you their bucket as they had to get that somewhere.

I got my bucket, and they gave me ALL they had.

The third place even carried it out to the pickup truck. The mechanic who did that mumbled something about not having to make a trip out to the salvage yard to get rid of them.....

Boolseye
10-31-2010, 01:58 PM
I hit up an independent tire place near me–was given a 2 1/2 pound coffee can and told to take what I could get in it–pawed through for only CWW and came away with 32 lbs. I didn't ask for more than he wanted to give me, and as a result I can go back again. He told me not to tell anyone where I got 'em.

a.squibload
10-31-2010, 02:45 PM
...Too bad we can't Trick-or-treat for lead!

Trick or treat, smell my feet,
give me something good to cast...

Naah, doesn't rhyme.

fryboy
10-31-2010, 06:09 PM
trick or treat and we'll be gone fast ...if u only give us something good to cast ...:-P