PDA

View Full Version : 1895 Chilean Mauser scout mount

7br
09-26-2006, 09:23 PM
I cannot locate a ready made scout mount for a 1895 chilean mauser. I have a friend that has a machine shop with several cnc machines. I work in the aircraft industry writing software to support our cad system and have modelled up a weaver style scout mount for the 1895 mauser purely as a learning exercise.

I can export the solid as an IGES model and my friend should be about to convert it to a cnc program and machine it out of steel. I thought steel would be easier to match finish than aluminum. I am fairly sure the setup cost is going to be more than what I want to bear alone. Would anyone be interested in joining in? If nothing else, I'll have him machine a half dozen and try to sell them on ebay.

I will be talking with my friend in the next week or so to get an idea of the cost.

Second, Any suggestions?

I am concerned about variations in the old sights. I am not convinced that the old craftsmen could hold within 0.005 like a cnc machine, so final fitting may be required.

At this point, I had planned on having the mount the length of the rear sight base. The overall length of the mount would be a little over 3". This will put the cross cuts about 1.75" apart. Should I extend the mount past the front of the base? 1" or 2" . That would allow me to put in a couple of extra cross cuts, but might look a little more bulky.

I will try to post a few drawings in the next couple of days.

grumpy one
09-26-2006, 10:07 PM
This may be of only marginal relevance, but I made a scout mount a few months ago for my FN K98, and had to solve some of the same problems I guess. The biggest hassle was that the two surfaces on the base of the battle sight that I wanted to use as mounting flats turned out not to be level, or even parallel to each other, which meant lots of hand-fitting. It takes a while because you need to end up with the top of the mount parallel to the bore, and you have to have some kind of plan to avoid ending up with the scope bells fouling the hand guard or the receiver ring after you take a few tries to get it right.

I used the 4 mm tapped hole for the hand guard retaining screw as the front mounting point, and drilled and tapped a matching hole right at the back of the base, so the allegedly flat areas around those two points were my mounting pads. Take a look at them before you start, and see how horizontal they are or are not.

Brownell sells a chunk of stock that only needs minor milling and fitting, and you can get several bases out of one of those chunks, so it is doubtful whether there is much sense in this CNC approach. I can't get Brownell stuff here so I milled mine out of a piece of inch square bar - I guess it took a couple of hours, but I'm slow and I hadn't drawn it properly so I kept having to take it out and offer it up to the rifle. It isn't a big job except that the hand fitting is fairly time consuming - it took longer than the milling.

So far as length is concerned, the main issue is to have it end up looking as if it's supposed to be there. I made it the same length as the battle sight base, then milled the cross-slots in line with the two mounting screws and counterbored the mounting screw holes. No brain surgery involved, so long as you have a tilt-head mill. It's all done in the vice, it's a small job. Just don't end up with the scope bells hitting the top of the rifle. I made mine about a tenth of an inch too high to avoid having that happen, which makes it less easy to shoulder-and-aim than I'd have preferred, but I actually aimed for .050" higher than that - used up the rest with the hand-fitting of the mounting pad areas.

Geoff

Boz330
09-27-2006, 09:18 AM
I don't know how close a Chilean Mauser is to a Swede but Brownells carries a scout mount for it that might be adaptable.

Bob

C1PNR
09-27-2006, 01:57 PM
At this point, I had planned on having the mount the length of the rear sight base. The overall length of the mount would be a little over 3". This will put the cross cuts about 1.75" apart. Should I extend the mount past the front of the base? 1" or 2" . That would allow me to put in a couple of extra cross cuts, but might look a little more bulky.
Only suggestion I have is to not make the mount too short.

I bought one of Darrell's mounts for a K31 that is so short the only scope that easily fits is the el cheapo NC Star. I didn't know that until after I bought it, of course.

I guess I'm saying that a little more length is probably better than not quite enough.

7br
09-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Here are the drawings of the solid models. One is of the rear sight base. It isn't exactly like the base, but the marked dimensions should be what is critical for the mount. If anyone has a chilean mauser that they can check my measurements, I would appreciate it. The other two drawings are the mounts themselves. One fits direct on the sight base and the other extends out over the handguard. My mauser has been sportierized, so I can't check clearance over the handguard. Once again, any help would be appreciated.

gbright
04-17-2012, 03:03 AM
Hello,
I have 1895 chilian and have been looking for scout mount.
I had discuscion with a tech at Brownells just yesterday and they
currently have nothing in inventory that will will work for 1895.
Mine is customised but rear sight is original and I have removed hand
guard. I am willing to help with cost of manufactuing as long as it
dosent cost my daughters next semesters budget.
gbright!