PDA

View Full Version : To all members here...

dunkel
10-23-2010, 12:42 AM
If I haven't said it in any specific threads in which you've replied to any of my many, many questions, I just want to say thanks. I've been here about a month, I guess, and the amount of information here to help get a beginner started is amazing. Almost overwhelming at times, lol. I've learned a ton just by cruising the various current threads as well as the "classics and stickies". And, of course, everyone has been very generous in helping me with what I'm sure can be frustratingly n00b questions.

I'm slowing but surely gathering my tools. And with the knowledge I've gained here already (still just a fraction of what's out there, I'm sure), I'd like to think that I'll be getting into the art of casting and reloading boolits as well prepared as I can be. Of course, I'll still have a lot to learn on my own and will make plenty of mistakes as I go, but at the very least, I'll have a pretty good basic understanding of what to expect before pouring that first boolit.

So again, thanks.

fryboy
10-23-2010, 01:21 AM
even if i didnt manage to help ...ur welcome !! actually i would rather see a new guy ask questions and really wish this forum was around oh say 30 some years ago lolz i also understand u on the info overload , i've trawled the lube forum so much i should have it memorized by now but i've found on some things until i apply it it doesnt quite ummm come together , i also figure that at everything in life we are new at once so there's no shame in that ;) just remember amigo , the journey ur taking is ur own and at ur own pace so take the time to enjoy it and a question is always better than " oh fiddlesticks that's gonna leave a mark "

lwknight
10-23-2010, 02:02 AM
dunkel , your already armed with 100s of years experience.
Parallel experience does not add up like linear experience but when the 2 are combined you get an exponential result.

A great many myths and misnomers have been busted here and I believe that as a group we are a very mature and veteran bunch of boolit makers. Actually a good many are all that by themselves.

We have so many chemists , metalurgists , engineers , machinists , mechanics and a host of other highly skilled trades people here.

I believe that the 15,000 members here are more knowledgeable on the bullet making than several other 100,000 member forums. Don't get me wrong . Birds of a feather flock together and other forums have their specialties and diversities too.

whitetailsniper
10-23-2010, 02:18 AM
L w knight,, well said!

Will
10-23-2010, 10:23 AM
I wish I had had some of this info when I first started casting (1958). I knew nothing at all about casting but just bought a lyman 358156 and a used iron skillet an old cooking spoon bent to form a ladle and begged a handfull of wheelweights from a junk dealer. I melted them on our small apartment stove and started pouring. I didn't know the oil on the new mould would make wrinkles in the boolits. It took about an hour and probably 100 casts to get a good boolit. I almost gave up but when that first good boolit fell I was hooked.

Von Gruff
10-23-2010, 04:15 PM
a question is always better than " oh fiddlesticks that's gonna leave a mark "

[smilie=l:

Von Gruff.

gray wolf
10-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Wow when I started there also there was no internet. We got things done but it took a lot of work on the part of the reloader/caster. If you couldn't get it from a book or a good friend
it was trial and error, and many time the errors produced the good out come.
If you knew what the good outcome was posed to look like.
If Cast bullets were around back 30/40 years ago it would have been a lot easier EH.
Yes the info here is rock solid,and if not someone chimes in to shore it up and make it solid.
I love my friends here and thank them for all the help they have given me and all the folks here.
So welcome and enjoy your stay with us.

Sam

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-23-2010, 05:04 PM
I also want the thank everyone here, especially those experts in each field that are so willing to answer the questions. I've read so many questions asked by someone else and answered to so many here...It's great info.

I joined back in march, when I bought some swaging dies from BTsniper on another forum, he lead me here when I wanted to start casting my own cores. after reading theads for a few days, I was hooked. I started scrounging Lead and tools and dies and stuff. I kept reading threads here everyday. I have smelted a few batches of WW's and Pipe/plumbers scraps... Then, I finally plugged in the Lee lead pot in September for the first time and cast some bullets. I've mixed up some 45/45/10 LLA/JPW/MS. I blended beeswax with other ingredients for pan lubing. I've now picked up a Lubesizer and will need some help with that. This site has been very valuable.
Thanks again,
Jon

ricksplace
10-24-2010, 05:36 AM
I have been casting for almost 40 years. I started well before the internet; well before computers actually!! (The computer I used in University took up four rooms and had 8K if I remember correctly) Since I joined this site, my cast boolit shooting has improved significantly. There's a wealth of information on this site and many people to thank.

cajun shooter
10-31-2010, 12:20 PM
I wish that there was such a thing when I first started in 1970 but of course Al Gore had yet to invent the WWW. I was very lucky in the fact that I had gotten a job in a gun store that sold the entire range of shooting goods including all the gear and components for casting. The owner became my mentor and taught me so that I could cast bullets for the store to sell to customers as a cheaper option than Speer, Hornaday and others.

Lively Boy
10-31-2010, 12:37 PM
well i don't post much...well cus don't know much and someone always seem to ask the question I had so... I have to side with dunkel ! the info is great and so are the people! also have to say thank you all!

Just Duke
10-31-2010, 12:50 PM
If I haven't said it in any specific threads in which you've replied to any of my many, many questions, I just want to say thanks. I've been here about a month, I guess, and the amount of information here to help get a beginner started is amazing. Almost overwhelming at times, lol. I've learned a ton just by cruising the various current threads as well as the "classics and stickies". And, of course, everyone has been very generous in helping me with what I'm sure can be frustratingly n00b questions.

I'm slowing but surely gathering my tools. And with the knowledge I've gained here already (still just a fraction of what's out there, I'm sure), I'd like to think that I'll be getting into the art of casting and reloading boolits as well prepared as I can be. Of course, I'll still have a lot to learn on my own and will make plenty of mistakes as I go, but at the very least, I'll have a pretty good basic understanding of what to expect before pouring that first boolit.

So again, thanks.

I know how you feel. I arrived here 3 years ago thinking I knew everything about casting and found out I didn't know squat. I'M STILL LEARNING. lol :bigsmyl2:

home in oz
10-31-2010, 01:02 PM
There ARE lots of great people here!

a.squibload
10-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Well I probably post TOO much.
When I learned computers they still taught punchcards and paper tape!
One of the professors brought in his computer, the first home-style in kit form,
and I accidently burned his power supply!

I was a caster then gave it up for a while, rounded edges and whacking the heck out of a mold
to get the boolits to fall out, didn't shoot as much if at all, (and I got a Jeep!),
all added up to forgetting about casting.

Then a new gun led me here to look at BT's swage dies, UH OH,
now I'm buying stuff and making smelting equipment and hoarding, er, "collecting" lead,
learning about boolit fit, alloys, lubes...
the info and support from this site restored my confidence.

Heck, I might even try Paper-Patching some day!

frkelly74
10-31-2010, 02:52 PM
I will just have to say that I am amazed at all the Things I had previously learned that " you can't do " ,such as driving cast fast without leading or shooting cast in a Garand, are done and can be done routinely if you know how. And this is the place to find out how.