PDA

View Full Version : Flux score at Disney World

ghh3rd
10-23-2010, 12:31 AM
I'm at Disney World Resort in Orlando FL and just got back from a little jaunt. In one place they were custom turning Rawling baseball bats for guests. The glassed in room with the lathe was full of very thin maple shavings.

I'm not shy and asked the fellow who was turning them if I could have some. He smiled and grabbed a large Rawlings shopping bag and filled it with several pounds.

I'm hoping that this will prove to be good flux - it should burn up easily being so thin. If it works well, I'll have a supply for a long long time.

Now if I can only find some scrap lead around here...

Randy

Doby45
10-23-2010, 12:33 AM
Awesome catch.. ;)

runfiverun
10-23-2010, 12:37 AM
i just had to read this thread. :lol:
it should do pretty well.

Longwood
10-23-2010, 12:37 AM
I'm at Disney World Resort in Orlando FL and just got back from a little jaunt. In one place they were custom turning Rawling baseball bats for guests. The glassed in room with the lathe was full of very thin maple shavings.

I'm not shy and asked the fellow who was turning them if I could have some. He smiled and grabbed a large Rawlings shopping bag and filled it with several pounds.

I'm hoping that this will prove to be good flux - it should burn up easily being so thin. If it works well, I'll have a supply for a long long time.

Randy

How about trading.
Pound for pound would work for me. ;-)
LS

dunkel
10-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Dang, I was just there this summer. Nice score.

x101airborne
10-23-2010, 05:58 AM
leave it to a firearm / gun enthusiest to find opportunity in the strangest places. lol. Get more and market it, "Disney Flux, for that magical journey" im a business admin / marketing major, so if you need your first employee.....

eljefe
10-23-2010, 08:04 AM
That is probably the only free thing you will get at Disney World!

Seriously, very cool...

AkMike
10-23-2010, 10:52 AM
With their left leanings they 'd send Mickey and Minnie and the rest of out to get it back if they knew you were making bullits with it.

Rangefinder
10-23-2010, 10:54 AM
I do a lot of wood working--a good portion from maple. I LOVE my planer shavings for fluxing----that score will work wonders for you.

fatnhappy
10-23-2010, 02:05 PM
God almighty......
don't waste that maple on flux! Soak it in water and use it for smoking venison hams or bacon or sausage........

as much as I love casting I love eating more.

Nrut
10-24-2010, 11:54 AM
"Flux score at Disney World"
My first thought after seeing the title of your thread was "Mickey Mouse" droppings...
sorry..:shock:

Tom W.
10-24-2010, 06:07 PM

Randy

What is "scrap lead?":cbpour:

dunkel
10-25-2010, 02:39 AM
God almighty......
don't waste that maple on flux! Soak it in water and use it for smoking venison hams or bacon or sausage........

as much as I love casting I love eating more.

I'd have to agree with this. There are, apparently, many things that can be used as flux, but good smokin' wood is much harder to come across.

lwknight
10-25-2010, 02:44 AM
Not for me. We have oodles and gobs of mesquite growing wild. Mesquite also has a lot of natural tar in it so its a great flux wood too.

HORNET
10-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Scrap lead at Disney World? Did you check the parking lot for cars with Obummer bumper stickers?

jdgabbard
10-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Scrap lead at Disney World? Did you check the parking lot for cars with Obummer bumper stickers?

:bigsmyl2:

ghh3rd
10-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Define IRONY:

I like it, I like it!