PDA

View Full Version : Pistol problem?

qajaq59
10-22-2010, 07:43 PM
I have a Navy Arms .44 cal black powder pistol which I like to shoot. However, because the arthritis in my thumbs it is getting bad, I have trouble cocking it unless I use both thumbs to do it. Is there a way to weaken the spring, or a replacement that can be purchased, that would make it easier for me? I don't want it so weak that it would misfire all the time, but even a little weaker might help. Any ideas would be appreciated.

docone31
10-22-2010, 08:09 PM
I am eating up my last two posts here, however,
The hammer is actually hard to pull as the cylinder is holding up. Take the bottom apart, and clean, deburr the parts. The cylinder dog is the culprit. Also, the cylinder lock up is also holding back. Check there also.
I fire two handed. I am left handed. I fire left handed, and cocked right handed. I reach up with my right thumb and rock the hammer back. I do use a two handed grip. I have always done this. In the Navy arms, it makes it very easy. You will develop a cadence in short time.
This technique also keeps my front sight on target during the cocking phase. I do not have to break grip to do it.

John Taylor
10-22-2010, 08:53 PM
The main spring can be filed down, very tough to file. take a little off the sides and polish the edges. You don't want any lines going cross ways or the spring may break. You can get replacement springs from http://www.vtigunparts.com/

MtGun44
10-28-2010, 01:28 AM
Grind the sides, then polish with fine wet or dry sandpaper to remove any deep scratches
which can cause a crack. GO SLOW. If you heat up the steel very much you will ruin
the spring. Spring rate will be directly proportional to the width. If you remove 10% of the
width, you lose 10% of the spring stiffness. If you try thinning thickness, it is VERY
sensitive, easy to go too thin. 10% thinner, it loses 27% of stiffness, and it is
much more sensitive to cross scratches causing cracks to develop over time. Much
safer to work on the sides and leave the thickness as is.

Probably almost as hard as a file, so grinding will be best, just don't overheat it.

Bill

cajun shooter
10-28-2010, 09:44 AM
The proper way to file(grinder may take out temper if too hot) a flat spring of a SAA revolver is to make it look like a hour glass shape. Scribe your lines into the metal and you may use layout blue to see better. This design will soften the spring but not weaken it as just narrowing it will.