PDA

View Full Version : Choosing the first lube!

Jech
10-22-2010, 03:55 PM
My birthday is coming up and my friends are asking what I want...I told them boolit lube! It's a clear fact that just like the many types of firearms, there is no one "best" lube. I did a few searches and found very quickly that every person's use is always so unique, it's hard to get the info I need from somebody else.

This will be for my conventional wax groove style 230gr .452" TC boolits made from recovered range lead, pushed by W231 out of my SA XD 5" Tactical at full-power velocities for IDPA and slightly reduced velocities for general target practice. The lube will be applied via pan-lube techniques, cooked with a double boiler. Because of my IDPA aspirations, the closer it is to smokeless, the better.

Let's hear what the CastBoolit hivemind has to offer!

zxcvbob
10-22-2010, 04:03 PM
This will be for my conventional wax groove style 230gr .452" TC boolits made from recovered range lead, pushed by W231 out of my SA XD 5" Tactical at full-power velocities for IDPA and slightly reduced velocities for general target practice. The lube will be applied via pan-lube techniques, cooked with a double boiler. Because of my IDPA aspirations, the closer it is to smokeless, the better.

Let's hear what the CastBoolit hivemind has to offer!

Happy Birthday! [smilie=p:

You need to try Rooster Jacket liquid lube (tumble lube, like LLA.) It does a good job, and it's not sticky and doesn't smoke much.

Doby45
10-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Carnuba Red for pan lubing or lubrisizer lubing. Does everything you can ask of it both at full power and target loads. There is no other lube you can buy that I would recommend.

runfiverun
10-22-2010, 08:18 PM
the red does need heat. you could get by with a shop light aimed at your lube sizer.
lars'45's lubes are high quality his sight is at the bottom of this page.
avoid alox lubes as high humidity adds to it's smokeyness.

fryboy
10-23-2010, 12:57 AM
hmmmm if ur shooting matches u need a star sizer and then the lube ! having said that ... pan lubing .....takes a lil time , read the stickies for recluse's post " tumble lubing made easy " i do like the rooster jacket too as it's about easy but i found out i can take recluse's recipe faster with less problems , of course ur mileage will vary , if ur set on lube in the groove then i have to agree about the carnuba red , it's also about the cheapest lube one can find and it works ( ermmm same price as his other lubes )

Bullshop
10-23-2010, 01:49 PM
There is also another vendor selling Speed Green the real speed green.
I would appreciate a distinction between Bullshop Speed green and all others.
Since Wiljen is not buying Bullplate from me he is not producing the real thing and I will appreciate it if he points that out.. We also use two other additives to help it flow better from a lube sizer. If its not to our specs its not speed green.
I gave away the formula free to all here and now I see Wiljen using the name of my product incorrectly and undercutting my price. Ethical?
If someone buys from Wiljen and are not quite satisfied with the quality of the product please do not condemn my product for the shortfall. I have held my peace in this matter but now when I see yet others promoting his product and never a mention of the true source of speed green I can no longer hold back.
Anyone that thinks I may be being an ass over this I welcome thier comments. When convinced my mind is open to change and I have no problem apologising when proven wrong.

Jech
10-23-2010, 02:14 PM
For the record, I'm looking for a recipe that I brew up myself, not something I buy prepped by someone else. I also don't have the cash for a lubrisizer, so pan lubing is my only choice here.

PS, I've already been in contact with Bullshop about some of their products and have a check on my computer desk just waiting for me to finally mail it :P It's their original product so I agree credit should be given where it is due.

GLynn41
10-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Bullshop sorry to hear that and glad you spoke up

JesterGrin_1
10-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Bullshop you are not being an *** lol. He should have mentioned that he did not use your Bullplate to make it and thus really it is not speed green.

Bullshop
10-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Jech
I am sorry to have diverted your thread. I hope you did get the info you were after.

JesterGrin_1
10-23-2010, 02:34 PM
For the record, I'm looking for a recipe that I brew up myself, not something I buy prepped by someone else. I also don't have the cash for a lubrisizer, so pan lubing is my only choice here.

PS, I've already been in contact with Bullshop about some of their products and have a check on my computer desk just waiting for me to finally mail it :P It's their original product so I agree credit should be given where it is due.

Good Deal :).

josper
11-06-2010, 12:25 PM
If you need a lube heater do your self a favor and just by a lyman lube heater. I tried altermative methods and they were dificult to maintain a constant temp that worked good.They were a pain in the a--. The lyman is soooo much better.IMO

fredj338
11-07-2010, 01:55 AM
For my Star sizer, I love CR. For pan lubing, maybe BAC & CR mixed 50/50 would make it a bit easier to get the bullets out. Unless you just like making your wn from scratch or have access to free beeswax & other components, you can't beat Lar's on price doing it yourself.

geargnasher
11-07-2010, 04:16 AM
+1 FredJ338. The 50/50 Carnauba Red/BAC works great as a pan lube, and after Doby45's comments about making and using it for the .40 I tried it myself a while back since I had some extra sticks of each lying around. I don't shoot enough of that particular load in the .40 to justify putting it in the 450, but it pan-lubes much easier than the straight C. Red I was using before. I would recommend this to anyone for a good, low-smoke pistol lube that can be pushed hard if necessary.

Jech, there are dozens of home-brew recipes out there for good pistol lubes for low-pressure stuff like your .45 ACP, but you can't make a good, low-smoke lube cheaper than you can get it from White Label Lubes (Lar's).

If you really want to make your own, Felix lube and the standby moly grease/beeswax lubes work well, and MML (see recipe sticky) is reputed to be excellent. I'd stay away from the tumble lubes at first until you are certain everything is working well with your loading, since it can throw in an extra question mark variable and make diagnosing other problems with the load very difficult.

Gear

Char-Gar
11-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Don't fall into the trap of thinking because there are so many different notions about what makes up good lube, then you need a stock of different lubes. You can do well with only one lube. There are only two kinds of lube. Those that work and those that don't work. The world is full of lubes that work well in most if not all applications.

cajun shooter
11-07-2010, 05:42 PM
White Labels BAC used with Clays powder will produce loads with no smoke. I have loaded plenty for others and they love it. I shoot BP and 44-40 so my loads don't come close. I had one shooter beg me for the load data so that his loads would be the same. I laughed and told him the info was free.

Jech
11-09-2010, 09:30 AM
A friend who is learning to cast with me invested in some White Label Xlox...I picked up a pound of JPW and some mineral spirits. What I read in Recluse's sticky about 45-45-10 is very interesting. I don't have a TL-style mould yet myself but my friend has a Lee 2-cav 402-175-SWCTL, hopefully we'll get a chance to load some up in the next week or so.

fryboy
11-09-2010, 10:32 AM
A friend who is learning to cast with me invested in some White Label Xlox...I picked up a pound of JPW and some mineral spirits. What I read in Recluse's sticky about 45-45-10 is very interesting. I don't have a TL-style mould yet myself but my friend has a Lee 2-cav 402-175-SWCTL, hopefully we'll get a chance to load some up in the next week or so.

ummmm recluse's recipe , LLA , and XLOX will all work on conventional grooved boolits , in fact i have only one TL mold and i only got it because it received so many outstanding thumbs up in the accuracy dept , on my .358 rnfn ( a single lube groove casting ) it works great