PDA

View Full Version : Floor wax as tumble lube?

wallenba
10-22-2010, 02:21 PM
I recently recalled finding a leaky bottle of Future floor wax years ago and the mess I had to clean up, and I began wondering if any of you guys have tried it straight from the bottle as a tumble lube? I googled it, and found that it is still available under a different name > http://www.scjohnson.com/en/products/asked-and-answered/ask-question-comment.aspx?title=Where-is-Future-Floor-Wax
Adding a small amount of ink to it could give it color. Anyway, I am going to try it to see if it will make a low smoke lube for low velocity target loads.:idea:

fecmech
10-22-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm guessing Rooster Jacket is some kind of commercial floor wax, the kind you buff. It's milky color wet and dries clear. I have run it to 1100 fps out of my .357 rifle on tumble lube bullets with excellent results, good accuracy and no leading. Let us know how this Johnsons product works for you. When I run out of the Rooster Jacket I plan on trying some home brands just for kicks. I am actually very happy with what I call "Recluse" lube(45-45-10). I cast with a 6 banger and cover the bullets with a towel to keep them hot. When I get a couple hundred under the towel and they have cooled enough to not melt plastic I dump them in a zip loc. I squirt in some microwaved "recluse" lube, moosh them around a bit and dump on a screen of 1/8" hardware cloth to dry. Then cast another couple hundred and repeat. It just doesn't get any easier than that!

noylj
10-23-2010, 02:19 AM
It is an acrylic co-polymer, not a wax.
Doesn't mean it won't work.
Also, Rooster Jacket reminds me of the wax emulsions used to seal the ends of logs while they cure.

wallenba
10-23-2010, 10:50 AM
It is an acrylic co-polymer, not a wax.
Doesn't mean it won't work.
Also, Rooster Jacket reminds me of the wax emulsions used to seal the ends of logs while they cure.

I wonder then, if it might leave some gooey melted plastic like residue behind? Or smell bad. But then again, it needs to be able to be stripped cleanly too when being reapplied to the floor. If it's not too big a bottle to experiment with, I'm going to buy some today.

HiVelocity
10-23-2010, 11:11 AM
I've been following lots of the floor wax idea's on this forum for awhile and have tested a couple with good success.

This works: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654
(A mix of Alox/JPW/Mineral Spririts.)

I've also used Alox cut 50/50 with mineral spirits.

The best idea I got off this forum is to clean your bore well and then run a patch or two of pure Johnson's Paste Wax through and let dry. After 15-20 minutes, buff with a clean dry patch to a mirror finish. Makes cleaning after shooting a breeze! Its slick as eel snot.

Again, just food for thought.

HV

Shiloh
10-23-2010, 03:05 PM
I've also used Alox cut 50/50 with mineral spirits.

HV

LEE Alox is a bit thinner than Larsen's XLOX, so I don't cot it quite 50/50.

Larsens XLOX gets cut 50/50, warmed up, then applied as a tumble lube.
Works perfectly. I will try cutting a bit more as well next time I need ti tumble lube.

Shiloh

Centaur 1
10-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Its slick as eel snot.

That had to be one of the grossest episodes of "Dirty Jobs" that I've ever seen. That eel snot would probably make a great boolit lube if you had the stomach to mix it with bee's wax. :D

noylj
10-23-2010, 05:41 PM
50/50 eel snoot and earwax has always worked for me.

noylj
10-23-2010, 05:41 PM
50/50 eel snot and earwax has always worked for me.

zxcvbob
10-23-2010, 05:46 PM
50/50 eel snot and earwax has always worked for me.You can say that again.

jtwodogs
10-23-2010, 07:58 PM
I believe they talk about it here.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=87768&highlight=spray

noylj
10-24-2010, 02:49 AM
The frustrating thing is I submitted that comment once and the forum somehow bounced me somewhere else, so I thought that I hadn't even "made" the comment, much less have it pop up three times.
Any way, sorry for that (dumb software).
The basics of lube seem to be:
soft wax
grease
synthetic oil
metallic soap
and, if desired, a hard wax. Mix some combination of these.
What we need is a real tribologist...

buck1
10-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Some here have used floor wax with good luck.

zxcvbob
10-24-2010, 01:47 PM
http://www.hulu.com/watch/61320/saturday-night-live-shimmer-floor-wax

"New Shimmer's a floor wax and a dessert topping" --Chevy Chase

wallenba
10-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Ok..gotta go check the local Eel Monger and see iffin I can git some free snot. I got some ear wax tho.

357reloading
10-25-2010, 10:54 PM
i use nothing but white lable X LoX cut again to 50 50 . think could cut it even thinner. next time i will order the five 32 ounce jugs. $50 or something like that. Still have my lyman 450 and sizing dies, will keep a few more years. had it so long. I take the empty jugs and put in mimeral sprists wind up with enough x lox to tumble lube for sizing.

I see the prices used aren't much for what i see sales going for will just keep. Give to gun club for charity auction

zxcvbob
10-31-2010, 02:33 PM
Fixin' to melt some paste wax in a little glass jar and add an equal weight of Larsen's XLOX to it. But then how to apply it thinly enough? Do I just add a little spoonful (like a 1/4 tsp) of the cold lube paste to a big handful of very warm boolits in a plastic bowl? Or does the lube need to be hot and the boolits cool? I don't have a spare squeeze bottle to mix it in.

I assume it doesn't really matter and I apply it just like LLA, except it'll need to be warm.

geargnasher
10-31-2010, 02:47 PM
Bob, you might want to "cook" that JPW until most of the solvents are gone before adding the Alox. I've tried it both ways and simmering down the JPW first yields better results in the barrel and on the target, don't ask me why. Check out the sticky in the "Lube" section that Recluse posted, he outlines a really good way to do the "45/45/10" recipe with lots of pics and explanation. It does work really well if you boolits fit and you keep the velocities fairly low.

When you get your mix concocted, warm it until it is almost too hot to touch before applying it to the boolits, or heat the boolits to 200* or so in an oven before lubing. Recluse's formula will dry in less than an hour with a fan on it.

Gear