PDA

View Full Version : Kal Tool & Die mold handles

DLCTEX
09-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Does anyone else find these handles too heavy and too wide for comfort? My first casting session with them wore me out from the weight of the handles combined with the weight of an Ideal 2 cavity 45 mold. Also I found the width much too wide for even my large hands. After casting only 50 bullets my wrist hurt and my fingers were cramping. I think if I can narrow the grips by sanding down the outside of the wood, or heating the grip metal and bending it, it may help in both regards. They should last forever, they're built like a tank.

Four Fingers of Death
09-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Let it rest on the bench, make sure you use the guide to support the weight of the mould when filling, If you pour from a dipper, uee a wooden support for the mould. Even if they only support the mould for a second or two during the operation, these little 'rests' during the operation will ease the load.

The moulds and handles are not really very heavy and unless you are injured, should be easy enough to handle. Buy a set of those cheap solid dumbells (not too heavy, just a pound or two heavier than the mould). On the days when you are not casting, try some exercises with the moulds, imitating the actions of casting. 10-15 mins a time, every second day for a couple weeks should fix it.

Alternately, get a squeezball and execise that way.

Keep at it, its fun when you get it all together.
MIck.

DLCTEX
09-26-2006, 11:59 PM
I have no problems with Lyman, RCBS, Lee, But these are much heavier. I use hammers and other hand tools every day, also no problems, but these handles get to me quickly.

RANGER RICK
09-27-2006, 01:18 AM
I run four molds at a time with these handles from Kal Tools and no problems with the weight . These are the best handles I have and I think I own ( 25 ) almost every handle made , in the States anyway .
I have big hands so that my be the differance ???

Good luck

RR

Bent Ramrod
09-28-2006, 02:23 AM
Some of the handles of the SAECO and Cramer molds I have are incredibly unergonomic to use, even though they are dual cavity, and not too heavy. The handles are wood, about 3/4" diameter and parallel or slightly divergent with a gap of perhaps 1-1/4". Thirty minutes of use with these and I know how arthritics must feel.

Others have handles the same size and weight, only slightly convergent. These I can use for hours. The metal on the handles looks as if it is mild steel, rather than a casting, so I am tempted to get out the torch and bend them all to the "good" configuration. Another "someday" project. I don't have any trouble with Lyman large or small mold handles.

What is comfortable in one's hands has little to do with size or weight. My light, small wireless phone leaves my hand numb after fifteen minutes' conversation, while the large, old, heavy attached receiver on the other phone is good for hours.

Bret4207
09-28-2006, 07:58 AM
Bent Ramrod- Whut in gods name could you possibly talk about on the phone for 15 minutes? Oooooh, you were "talking" to a woman. You should have said "listening"!

LET-CA
09-28-2006, 12:09 PM
I purchased half a dozen or so of his handles when I first started casting and have used them more than any others so I may not be the best opinion. I do like them however because the quality of his manufacturing is so nice.

montana_charlie
09-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Dale,
This text is a copy/paste from the Mould Hnadles thread, which gives some idea (in the maker's own words) about what kind of material you are dealing with.
CM

"The dark colored handles are made from African Green Heart (when machining, the dust is green but the wood is dark brown), an extremely durable hardwood, the finish is polished on using fine furniture oil and then buffed. I have to machine this wood with carbide tooling, high speed steel tooling wouldn't last more than a few pieces. The light colored handles are made from Maple and finished with natural oil and a high gloss urethane finish. Both are very nice.

All metal components are laser cut and or machined/hydro formed on the most modern C.N.C. machining equipment. The metal handle arms are stress relieved both, before and after Hydro Forming. The hinge pin is custom machined and case-hardened for wear. Metal parts are a dark blue/brown finish from stress releiving and are left as is."

Red River Rick
09-28-2006, 11:14 PM
I have no problems with Lyman, RCBS, Lee, But these are much heavier. I use hammers and other hand tools every day, also no problems, but these handles get to me quickly.

Dale: Sorry to hear that your not happy with the handles. I did some weight comparisons with Lyman and RCBS handles:

Lyman D/C handles - 10.8-11.2 oz.
RCBS handles - 13.5 oz.
Mine with Greenheart Handles - 13.8 oz.
Mine with Maple Handles - 13.0 oz.

As far as being "MUCH HEAVIER", unless you have a pair of my handles with the GreenHeart wood, you're only 3/10 oz. out.

Chances are you are being fatiqued by the width of the handles, the grip stance is probably too wide for your hand. Indeed, Lyman handles do fit a smaller hand more comfortably, but don't offer the correct balance when used with a heavy mold.

No problem. If the handles are still in reasonable shape, return them to me and I'll gladly refund you your purchase price less shipping costs.

DLCTEX
09-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Rick, I will keep the handles, just looking for info to help fit them to me. The quality is there to pass on to my grandson someday. Do you think heating the metal on the handle side of the rivet ( with wood removed) to bend it will be ok? I would prefer to not reduce the wood so as to keep the strength there, but that may be the easiest way to narrow the grip, as I think the wide grip is what gets to my hand.

Red River Rick
09-29-2006, 04:44 PM
Dale:

You can easily bend the handle tangs cold. Remove the handles and clamp the handle tang in your vice. Using a hard rubber mallet or soft face hammer, a few light wacks on the inside of the tong will do the trick.

The handle tangs are swept outward 2 degrees and were designed originally to fit my mitt, unlike RCBS handles which are parallel to the tong. I found the RCBS handles too narrow, hence the wider grip stance.

Hopefully this bit of info will help you to rectify this problem. If you have any other questions or concerns, do not hesitate in contacting me.

Rick
KAL Tool & Die

Bent Ramrod
09-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Tpr Bret:

A lot of time that is true. But I find a lot of phone calls to/from all sorts of people run into a lot of time on the phone bill, even though the actual information exchanged could typically go on a 3 x 5 card, in large printing.

Bent